1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY attempt at wrapping the roof black

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by halfclutch, Oct 8, 2012.

1. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

even before i bought a BNW punto for myself i always wanted its roof to be black.
    now after more than one year of ownership its time to do some styling on my white beauty :D
    So i decided to get the roof wrapped in black matte vinyl and to do the same i went to a local auto graphics guy, but he quoted 1500 for the same which was pretty decent but then i thought can i do it myself?
    To answer the question i decided to give it a try myself, i went to a vinyl trader here in mumbai and bought 3 times the amount of vinyl i may need to
    for the punto's roof ( just in case i mess up while applying it ) for RS 640 only. I also purchased an applicator kind of thing which helps you to pull out the air bubbles. i dont what that thing is called, i shall post pics of all the tools needed soon.

yesterday i tried applying it on the roof but it was a failed attempt::O for following reasons:

1. you need at least two people to do this, i thought i could manage it alone but trust me one just cant do it alone.
    2. i did not bother to have a heat gun handy, i ll buy it this week and try it again coming weekend.
    3. It Rained yesterday :hit

anyway i ll try again on this weekend and make it successful.
    guys do post if you have any suggestions for the entire process.

2. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Hey Buddy...

Just wanted to Wish you Best Of Luck :up
    Hope you'll do it successfully on your own...

I have same Matt Finish Vinyl on the roof but I have nothing to say about word of caution or anything as I have not got it done on my own...

Neel :up
  3. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I have done the same the 1st time was a fail.. because i dint know how to remove the antenna..... and hence ended up like this..
    to all those planning on doing it..

for those planning on doing diy vinyl roof...

1st clean the roof.

2nd:make sure u remove the antenna if u have one...

3rd: apply water+ soap solution.. on the vinyl and roof..

4th lay on the vinyl on the roof (but make sure the vinyl slips on the roof surface..makes the work easier. . )and use the a old credit card or sim card to remove the bubbles and water solution from the roof..there by making it stick to the surface.

5th : cut the excess vinyl.. (be careful not to cut short)but make sure u leave enough, so that it can be tucked into the rubber beading.

6th: tuck in to the rubber beading's... toughest part.. is tucking in to the windshield beading.

u dont need two people.. would be a lot more easier if there is some one to help...
    secondly..chances of getting it right the 1st time is rare..and deciding to go for second run.. will cost u close the professional work..
    finally.. the feeling of DIY beats everything else..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    3 people like this.
  4. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Another killer DIY help..

Can you explain how to remove the Antenna and also some advice on cutting the excess vinyl?
    Any advice on the tools required to make this DIY a perfect one?
  5. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The main thing to take care of not to mess with it in the first attempt itself is that you have to apply soap water on the roof (after the first cleaning sessionof course) before sticking so that you can meddle with it even after sticking it, coz it will be fully set only after a day.
    1 person likes this.
  6. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

For the sides, do we have to remove the rubber beading and tuck the vinyl or should we just tuck it as it is?

For the back I guess we can open the boot and tuck it in

I don't think we can do much for the front, can we? Any suggestions?
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I get it done from local autographics shop, paid Rs. 1200 For black roof and black border to tail lamps.
  8. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

For the front what i am planning to do is keep the adhesive strong i.e not to spray soapy water solution and then make it sit with the help of a Credit card or so.
    Heat gun can play a major role here i guess.
  9. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

@ halfclutch,

I'm also planning to do this DIY, tentaively this saturday. Let's share as much as information here so that we can make it a success :)

btw, any idea of how to source the black vinyl? is there any specific brand that we should use. I'm planning to go for the glossy black one.

When I did my Itali stripes they used LG HAUSYS vinyl. I'll probably try getting it.

btw can a hair dryer be used as a heat gun?
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

List of absolute Must Have before starting

1) 6ft * 4ft vinyl , colour of your choice
    2) Pen Knife
    3) Hair Dryer
    4) Spray bottle filled with soap or shampoo mix (i just poured the mix on the roof and vinly)
    5) Flat screw driver ( to open the head roof dome light) IMG-20121009-00237.jpg
    6) Spanner :size ?!? not sure to remove the antenna IMG-20121009-00238.jpg
    7) Two old cards.. debit,credit, sim or loyalty cards
    8) Warm weather

lay the vinyl over the rubber beading and use the pen knife cut the excess vinyl along half the width of the beading. Hope the below picture helps. paint.JPG

tucking in: insert one card into the rubber beading and with the other card tuck the vinyl into the beading's.. started from the back..

hope this helped.....
    2 people like this.