1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY: Air Filter Cleaning

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by kaps, Apr 12, 2011.

1. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    I use to clean air filter of my Punto every 3000 kms by pressurized air. At around 8000 kms, I discard it and get a new air filter. Fiat service center owner advised me not to clean air filter this way as pressurized air will make filtering pores bigger. He told me to clean air filter by slapping it on some hard surface gently for getting the dirt off.

Is there some point in his advice?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @magnan if the psi is too high it might damage the filter sure. However micron level dust will need the pressurized air to dislodge from the pores. Just make sure via visual inspection if some area has torn off. That can be dangerous.
  3. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    I didn't mean by tearing off of the air filter paper. Point is that whether pressurized air lowers cleaning efficiency of the air filter? At what speed air might be entering filtering element, at 1 meter/second? Pressurized air should be attacking filtering element at at least 5 meters/second( I am just guessing and should be wrong. Experts please put some light of their knowledge here).

So the ultimate question is, what is actual working life of an air filter in normal highway driving where at every kilometer we find 2-3 trucks? Fiat says 15 K kms. Is it acceptable? I found inlet manifold of my Punto heavily clogged when cleaned at 43 K kms. Was the habit of cleaning air filter by pressurized air (thus reducing its filtering efficiency) reason behind that?
  4. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    I do not think too much about this at all and will typically change at the 3000 Km mark whether it required or not. And within this 3000 Km i would take it out atleast once and clean it - it is a reasonably low cost item with massive impact of many parameters for the car so no brainier when it comes to changing it
  5. yougotmi

yougotmi Amatore

Gaya
    I did the job on my own. Just used size 8 wrench to remove the 6 bolts, these bolts won't come out of the plastic cover, so don't worry about loosing them in the engine bay or something.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Can someone who has recently cleaned the air filter post some pics before and after cleaning for reference purposes pls? Will washing the air filter help remove the finer dust?
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It can help dipping in very mild petroleum solvent, but not recommended. Maybe dusting off with high pressure air, but micron level dust may dislodge, effectively the efficiency of filtering dust or air passage is reduced to a large extent with time.

Best to change it.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Quick Query: Why not to replace the air filter instead of cleaning it. It is not that expensive.