1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY: Air Filter Cleaning

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by kaps, Apr 12, 2011.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Thanks.. that makes sense why insects and leaves were lying under the filter. I was bit concerned as those insects or leaves may damage the turbo fins.
    So, in order to clean the filter, air should be blown from top to bottom or better sideways first and then top to bottom.. never from the bottom to top. Am I right?
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    pdydeva,

just change your air filter every 7500 kms. Its a small price to pay rather than cleaning existing ones.
  3. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    I get your point Naveen. Sure it's better to replace the filter when it nears end of it's life. I generally clean the filter once in 3-4K kms or whenever I feel a drop in pick up.
    For me, the pleasure of solving an issue after a DIY session is incomparable :-D
    2 people like this.
  4. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Guys,

Since 2-3 days, I was feeling more Noise inside cabin of my punto. yesterday, went to KHT FASS. they checked and told that air filter was dirty and they cleaned it. Now, the noise is less but not completely smooth. My 2nd service is pending in November. Hence, they suggested to manage for another 2 months and then they can change it during service. Is it advisable to run the machine with a dirty air filter? Though the cabin noise is very irritating for me.
  5. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Do not use a filter which will not be able to filter insect and small leaves. If it's just dirty but does the filtering duty well, you can change it during your service.
    Regarding the noise, are you talking about the engine grunt? Do you feel any drop in pick up of the car?
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Are we talking about Air filter for the Engine, or Pollen Filter - aka Cabin Filter? The Air filter is expected to filter abrasive particulate matter from entering the engine's cylinders, where it would cause mechanical wear and oil contamination. What do you mean by insect and small leaves? :confused

Rajan
  7. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    I had a filter which got damaged at the edges creating a loose gap between the foam and paper folds. I also found some insects and leaves under the filter (the inlet). The damage was so worst that the probability of those leaves or insects passing through the filter to the turbo were high. Based on the suggestions I got here, I decided to replace the filter before my 2nd service fearing damage to turbo fins (in-spite of the service advisor's suggestion to wait till 2nd service).
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  8. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Of course a good filter needs to filter out even the finest dust. Since the car needs to go for scheduled service in a month time, if the damage to filter is just looking dirty and not big enough to let leaves/insects pass through, I feel he can wait.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  9. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As per SA, the air filter was just dirty which after cleaning can be used upto 2 mnths more. Yes, the pick up has dropped drastically and engine grunt is high. Again yesterday i felt the noise increased. Planning to talk SA again for a permanent solution. Got really frustrated with the sound it creates especially when the A/C is on.
  10. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

BANGALORE
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here is the update of the issue. In 1st/2nd/3rd gear, when I was taking a right turn big noise was coming inside the cabin. Of course, A/C was on and hence the noise was pretty heavy. I showed to KHT FASS, they kept the car for 1 day and then started opening the engine bay and tested few mounting points. When next day I visited to FASS, went for a test drive with mechanic and SA. Surprisingly the sound has vanished. When i asked for the reason, they explained that if they open some part, due to manual fitting sometimes if the parts are not fitted properly the cabin noise increases. Well, they have charged me nothing for the fix but I have one query is these fitting issues happens with every dealer or this is just a stupid reason they gave? If they are stating the correct reason to me, then hats off to KHT FASS for sorting the things in one day.