1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY: Air Filter Cleaning

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by kaps, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kaps

kaps Superiore

You can also use the reverse side of a vacuum cleaner used for blowing dust.
  2. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Useful thread.

I was planning to take my car to the dealer for air filter cleaning. After seeing the posted video (Thanks Grandeur), I did the job myself.

Some time back I had bought an air blower from Nehru Place for cleaning the insides of my computer (on computers I am totally DIY). It has a 500w motor running at 13000 rpm. The blast was a bit excessive for the computer's innards, but was just right for the air filter. This blower was quite cheap - about Rs 600/= I think. It is worth investing in one.

3. dansley

Manufacturers suggest only replacement of air filters & not cleaning of air filters. if to be cleaned take following precautions.
    first - strike the air filter to any soft object to remove the heavy dust (ensure not to damage)
    second- use low pressure air 1-2 bar and blow from the top- the air to be blown from the clean side of air filter. doing reverse may cause the dust to enter the clean side of air filter element.
    thirdly - while refixing the top cover ensure 3 lugs at the rear lock in the box slots & then install & tighten the 3 screws starting from the center screw first. if the lugs are not locked the unfiltered air will enter the engine & will cause damage to engine.
    1 person likes this.
  4. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    since we are talking of filters i find the earlier pollen filter much effective in cutting dust than the current wire mesh filter which is good at air throw. i washed my previous filter and am using it again as conditions are too dusty here.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

cleaning air filter in linea MJD

Please let me know the instructions to clean the air filter in linea MJD.Is it easy or let the TASS do it.
  6. remove the cover over the engine using 8 number spanner.
    then open the container box of the air filter
    then remove the airfilter.
    tap the filter and remove the superficial dust.
    blow mild compressed air(with mild pressure) from the cleaner side(inner side facing the engine)
    and put it back.

my suggestion would be if the filter is clogged buy a new one..
    it is better than a cleaned filter
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Will do this asap.More ever I have got the filter changed around 43500 KMs and now its 51500 Kns Odo.I think it should go on till next service at around 60000 Kms.
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note- Use the search option please. Thread merged with existing thread.
  9. sungoa2010

How often we need to clean the airfilter in dusty indian condition?
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I use vaccum cleaner. In addition to that I strike it on wall or on floor.