1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY – Daytime Running Light – DRL for Linea

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by vanandwiz, May 12, 2014.

1. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks Parantap, like I told, nothing was planned, I might have been lucky to strike the correct fit. Also I had all the tools to work on wood, metal and the electricals.
    I also have concerns on ebay products. But many of them have turned out to be good to very good. Even if is bad, it would be fun to work on it again!!
    The lights run on 12v battery but the LiMh is 1.2V x 8 = 9.6V this is lower than the spec... so it give a extended life for LED lights.
    1. I am not touching any electricals including the car battery. So warranty is guaranteed.
    2. If you read my ownership review (see link below), I have detailed the nightmare I had with my 20 day old car's battery issues. That left a bad taste and I did not want to connect anything to battery.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/linea-1-4-t-jet/6857-tjet-fta-new-saga-3.html#post125484
    1 person likes this.
  2. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Indicative cost.... approximates only....

[TABLE="width: 582"]
    <tbody>

DRL - 2 sets

[TD="align: right"]1200
    [/TD]

all electrical stuff - wires, 12 v connector, PVC casing, solder, tape, switches, resistor, battery holder etc

[TD="align: right"]200
    [/TD]

Paint, brush

[TD="align: right"]100
    [/TD]

8 LiMh Batteries

[TD="align: right"]1200
    [/TD]

- I already had this - did not buy

Total

[TD="align: right"]2700
    [/TD]

Tools needed

cutting plyer

screw driver

hacksaw cutter

drilling machine

File

soldering iron

Digital multimeter (optional)

</tbody>[/TABLE]
  3. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Thanks again. Good work. How noticeable are the wooden blocks and silver paint job from close distance?

Also, what wattage are the LEDs? Any ebay link?
    1 person likes this.
  4. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Liked the way in which the car electrics are not touched and used separate source of power :up.
    1 person likes this.
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Great Work. That was quite a sincere effort!!
    1 person likes this.
  6. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    I think the wattage is 3W... it is not mentioned on the link or the product box...

Eagle EYE Bike DRL 6000K White Daytime Running Lights Fits IN ALL Bikes AND Cars | eBay

The silver paint job looks fine from close distance (5ft). Too close (less than a foot), it will show. From normal distance (5 meters), no one can tell the difference. If the light is glowing then seeing the paint job might be difficult. The lights look much brighter than the photos show it to be.

One of the photo is a close-up view. Not sure if people were able to differentiate the wooden block and the DRL until I told so.

One of the primary aim was safety during highway drives. I used to switch on the fog lamp when ever I was driving above 100 kmph. Now this DRL will take its place. When lights are on, I have seen that most of the lorry drives do not block your lane (exceptions are minor).