1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DIY – Daytime Running Light – DRL for Linea

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by vanandwiz, May 12, 2014.

1. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    A DRL was on the cards for a long time. But I did not want to attach anything to the battery. So the plan was to attach the DRL to another power source. The DRL should look authentic and unique and not like just another Chinese DRL. Also wanted it to be cost effective; if the quality should be good then it cannot be cost effective. I wanted to do it myself rather than someone do a cheap work; also that way I can also manage any future repairs. I wanted daytime mode, nighttime mode and wanted to control the operation through switch; and it should be plug and play type electrical.

Oh! Too many requirements and some of them conflicting too!! It was nearly a year of search and patience. Many times I had resigned to settle for some Chinese DRL on the net. But somehow I did not fall for it and kept the search going.

Lots of bits and pieces of experiments did happen. Collectively the whole research ended up as below. A cool looking DRL, with all the requirements fulfilled. The whole experiment cost about Rs4000. The DRL material cost alone came to Rs2500. Both the cost does not include the time invested.

In the next post, I will go through step by step setup of the whole DRL…..

Photo1643.jpg
    Photo1642.jpg
    Photo1641.jpg
    Photo1640.jpg
    Photo1639.jpg
    8 people like this.
  2. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Looks nice :) I hope you have accounted for the fact that the fog lamp surrounds have a sharp angle to them and have adjusted the viewing angle of the DRL's accordingly..

Eagerly looking forward to details !
  3. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Yes the fog lamp surround's curvature is taken care of..... it is a front facing DRL.
  4. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    The 4 small bulbs costed 4000 :eek:
    1 person likes this.
  5. Parantap Chatterjee

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    33323899.jpg

Details ..details ..
    1 person likes this.
  6. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Nice DRLs. Thanks for sharing this much - now expecting more.

Pleeaaaase spill the beans.
    1 person likes this.
  7. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Actually the DRL cost 2500 only; rest was tools and other accessories. It is a head turner and worth it. Many folks here are spending more to get that cool look. So it is individuals perception.
    Good one… details are coming…
    Looks like expectations are set high, hope the details are not disappointing!!
  8. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Ordered the Eagle Eye DRL from ebay…

1.jpg
    2.jpg

Cut wooden block to adjust the angle of curvature in the fog lamp casing…. Ofcourse, tried few rounds with thermacoal sample before zeroing on the correct model.

3.jpg
    4.jpg

The wood was cured with araldite adhesive. Then it was given two coats of white paint and two coats of Aluminum paint. This will make it water proof.
    The eagle eye was also painted two coats of white paint and Alu paint.

5.jpg

Pulled out the fog lamp casing from bumper. Then did a sample fit on the fog lamp casing. Used a small piece of 3M tape to fit the wood and DRL temporarily. Then marked the point where a hole had to be drilled for the wire.

6.jpg
    7.jpg

Then did couple of sample tests with LimH Battery. I have used 8 LimH batteries to get 12v and 2.5 aH current. The switch box is a visiting card plastic box. It fits the 2x4 battery holder and it has two switches; one which is directly connected to battery the second one it through a 100 ohm resistor. This gives the daytime mode and nighttime mode.

8.jpg
    9.png
    10.jpg
    11.png
    12.jpg

Then pulled a wire from engine compartment to car interior; so that the battery&switch box can be accommodated inside the car. Even though I used good quality wire still I was concerned that the wire might not withstand the engine compartment heat. So I ran the car about 1000 kms before connecting the battery or DRL.
    All the above steps were not properly planned. Lots of experiments and trials happened at each stage. Turning back, I can list it out in one page. But each of the stage would have taken one week to one month. When office work was tight I had very little time to spare for this. When office work was frustrating then I spared all my time for this!!

13.jpg

Used a 12v DC Male-Female connector plug/unplug the DRL with connector wire. Did the same for battery box connector inside the car. So this makes it quick to disconnect. Used a PVC casing wherever extra protection was needed. All the wires were soldered and taped so that there is no flimsy connection. In between this, I plugged back the fog lamp casing back to the car bumper. Then used 3M tape and araldite to firmly fit the wooden block and DRL to the fog lamp casing.
    After one day curing, light araldite curing was given to the paint job; so that the paint is immune to rain.

14.jpg

Not sure if I missed any step or if something is not clear. Please point out.

I did a 2000 kms trip to Chennai-Chidambaram-Krishnagiri-Thekkady-Munnar-Chennai..... there was heavy rain... the DRL did well and endured the trip!!
    8 people like this.
  9. Parantap Chatterjee

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Well done ! I am glad to see you put so much time and effort into making sure that the lights are at the correct angle. Many of us would simply have attached them to the housing and got done with it.

My only concern is that the lights are from EBay , hence their longevity might be suspect , especially if they are on all the time like "proper" DRL's..

Well done again :)
    1 person likes this.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Running on cells now? Why not connect to battery?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.
    Last edited: May 12, 2014