1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Disturbance in Gear Engagement in Fiat Palio 1.2 Petrol.

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Navin talati, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Navin talati

Navin talati Timido

Dear Friends,

I need your special help and technical guidance in this matter before I submit the car to a technician or garage people. As wrong diagnose may create new issues. A previous basic information regarding the the problem is a must, as I understand.

The issue is like this.

When the car is not running, I can shift the gears as normal. No problem. When I start the engine, there is trouble in engaging the gears. In reverse gear it gives rattling sounds. In other gears (while engaging) also many times gives the same sounds. With hard shifts or pushing forcefully it may engage and the car moves too as normal. But then, the change of gear is not possible. If I engage in any gear (say 1st gear) and then start the engine, the car will move as normal (no any abnormal or other type of sound comes) but changing to higher (or any gear while running/moving) is not possible. Thus the gears are stuck! (All gear operations I described above are after applying the CLUTCH).

I googled for the problem. In most of the cases, people have reported the GEAR OIL as main cause as over the period of time of its longer utilisation. To resolve this, the gear oil change is suggested. I removed the LD original GEAR OIL (clocked for 68 K km) and filled a EW gear oil “Shell SPIREX S2 G 80W-90” (the AGIP's Gear oil was not available in the market and with its Distributor). But even after this, the problem still PERSISTS !

Would you please suggest me that:-

Different people may have different ideas regarding the CAUSES and SOLUTIONS – and I am pleased to invite your suggestions and will be happy to receive your valuable guidance.

You are also requested to feel free to ask if any additional information is required. I have tried my best to describe the problem as I felt, but may be to someone, additional information may be required. So please ask me if still some information is needed.

Eagerly awaiting for your very positive response.
    With best regards and thanks in anticipation.
    Navin Talati 24-01-2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  2. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Navin,

For such cases the main culprit is clutch & pressure plate.

Let us know, how old your clutch plate is? If it's old then please replace the same do not go for any other resolution.

Also for your kind information Fiat has already started servicing for the classic fiat cars. So please head to the FASC nearer to your location.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Linea T-Jet
    Palio have master and slave cylinder which are common culprits many times.. Check them along with Clutch Plate if that has worn out.. PUG (yahoo group) is also a great source for the knowledge about Palio's.. Check them out..