1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Discussion on the 2012 Linea & Punto

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by sungoa2010, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Italia, Older Linea/Punto has to be more planted. Cars are not meant for 195 mm ground clearance, that's SUV territory. That defies physics if it feels more planted than the older models.
    What the FIAT has been smoking? I think 175 - 180 mm was more than sufficient & that's what they should have aimed for. 195 mm::OO... errrrrrrrrrr:mrgreen:, it feels like car must be using bamboos tied at it legs to walk like a clown in a circus.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Do the under scrapping entirely related to the GC? There are cars which has very low GC but doesn't scrap as it anticipated by the low GC. Example Fabia.
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    GC for 2012 Linea is 185 mm and not 195 mm. Please point me to the relevant link in case I am wrong
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You are right. It's 185 mm for Linea and Punto 1.3 and 1.4. The GC for Punto 1.2 is 195mm.
  5. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    yeah I too think that way. I had driven alto for almost 5k which has only 160+ GC, but My punto has 171mm GC but getting scrapped even the patches in which our alto went with out scrapping. It can be due to the softer suspension with heavy weight of the car. or may be due to the positioning of engine guard. Sometimes I think that It can be due to the speed masking capability of the car!!!...
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    You are forgetting to take into account the wheelbase. For the Alto wheelbase is shorter than Punto. So effective GC is more when handling patches bad road (as the angle would be more with less GC)
    1 person likes this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    That is a valid point. But let us compare i20 with wheel base 2525 more than Punto and GC 165 less than Punto. Then consider Fabia which has less GC(158) than Punto and having wheelbase(2465) longer than both cars(4000). Do 120 and Fabia touch the road more frequently than Punto. I think the long nose of Punto is the culprit in most cases than wheel base. Wheel base of course matter when compare with Alto.
  8. Guys, Punto 2012 seems to have upgraded AC unit, is this something that can be fit in old Punto. The AC i have in my punto seems to strugle during summer and it takes close to 20-25 mins to feel the temp coming down :(
  9. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    thats right, but I still think effective GC is not more than that of Punto... as the angle has not much difference for those two to neutralize the effect of more the 10mm in GC..
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I think FIAT has messed up here & managed to spoil the epic ride of Punto/Linea finally for 2012 models. Quite a few cases have come across with harsh rides & bumps in punto which was never the case earlier. I doubt if this kind of stuff can be concluded out with an odd test drive. No reference like an honest ownership review/experience. To reduce the overhang due to increased GC, FIAT has made the springs stiffer & no way it will help the bumps. I think they just did in themselves here:A.

Most of people complaining over bumpy ride are 2012 owners. Let's give them a break now, it could very genuinely be the case here. They might damn very well meant their claims. For 185 mm or 195 mm, both the GC belongs semi off roader/crossover class if not SUVs:mrgreen:, its over-compensated & frustrated effort by FIAT. 2012 cars look awkward & weird to me whatever it's high GC is meant for!! Instead of this, they could re-design the engine guard to minimize it's accommodation in the given GC. It was the guard that used to scrap. On addition to this, may be 5 mm additional GC with suspension modification would have sufficed. They shouldn't have removed softer springs at all on bad Indian roads. Even though it would have increased over-hang marginally for their cars but ride quality would have remained intact while still managing better handling than it's competitors. Bad move i would say! let's wait if more owners come upfront but it doesn't look very promising for countryside roads now to me at all.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012