1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Discussion on Painting the whole car

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by swgaan, Dec 28, 2013.

Which Colour to chosse

Poll closed Jan 27, 2014.
  1. Bossa Nova White

12 vote(s)
  2. Fox tourt Azur

9 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. swgaan

swgaan Amatore

Panvel, Maharashtra
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello All,

It was more than 1.5yrs i am owning a TW Punto, now being a in Mumbai my car have faced several scratches on her body, tried lighting it up with wax and polish but no use, and worst are swirl marks, so had a suggestion from a local garage wala to paint it thoroughly he gave me the estimate of 20k for all the treatment, which includes full body exterior painting and minor scratches (which are deep) and dent removal,

So i just had a thought that as i am preparing myself for the complete Body repainting why not go for different colour, as many of us know that TW is the premium colour but at the same time it is a dust magnet and very tricky to maintain the shine and elegance of the colour, so i thought will go for BNW of fox tourt Azur, need your suggestion.

Also at the same time the legal side has to be considered, as on our registration cards the colour of a vehicle is mentioned, so will there be any problem? and if i wish to sell that car in future, the other buyer should not think that it is repainted so probably it have had an accident..:eek: which is not the case, i am changing the colour to have a fresh look and it should be easy to maintain.

Please suggest.
  2. swgaan

swgaan Amatore

Panvel, Maharashtra
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hear are some pis for your reference.

Hear you can see below some scratches on the door panel

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

I believe there was a three discussing about paint change and formalities it involves from RTO etc..

IMO, if the hassles of RTO are less, the. Go for it... foxtrot Azure is my dream color too and I will recommend it.
    I own and owned BNW's, when it's clean its gorgeous, but when dust settles on it you will hate it !!

Note : If suppose your are selling the car then color change will raise some suspicions and the rates offered might go down !! Although I wouldn't mind buying such a car as long as it has RTO's nod.

Also, you mentioned local garage quoting 20k, I suggest you get it done in a professional garage where they have dust free paint booths else you might repent and will spend more to get it corrected !!

finally the paint used and method of painting and drying also matters, you need to keep an eye for the same !!

If I recollect it correctly, our TFI member Satchitanand has some experience, he got his car painted (bnw2bnw) so talk to him once.

finally best of luck !!
  4. Get it to car detailer, it will come back to life.

No matter what paint you have younstill have to clean it to keep the car looking fresh.
  5. swgaan

swgaan Amatore

Panvel, Maharashtra
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey Sat. Can u share your experience of re painting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. I did not do repainting but only got the clear coat redone.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Both Bossa Nova and Foxtrot Azure are nice colours. If the car is to be in Mumbai environment there will be issues of dust and debri that will do the scratches no matter how careful you are. The heat and humidity and sea winds are good combination to corrode the sheet metal or car body. Bossa Nova white will show scratches much more easily and prominently than Foxtrot Azure.

IMHO, minor scratches on Foxtrot really don't pop out as visibly like they do on Bossa Nova white.

Many professional painters have admired Fiat cars like Palio, Siena, Punto, Linea and their variants for having some very good quality sheet metal treatment done at the factory level. That is one of the strongest points in Fiat cars IMHO. Now when you change the colour the inner protective layers will also be scrapped off to some extent. It is one of the reasons some professional painters dissuade people from doing the colour change job. Further it also requires removal of all the internals including dash, seats and a whole lot of other work. A full colour change job will also cost you much more, but also if done properly it can give the car body a good life extension. Care needs to be taken while removing items like door beadings etc.
    If you however, decide to go the colour change way, please make sure that the paint-shop does not try to save money on materials used. Premium materials and chemicals are well worth the extra money. I personally have strong dislike for that cheapish grey primer that goes beneath cheap paint jobs.

If you are going for Foxtrot Azure I recommend you to get the Standox (Dupont) chemistry colour. Do note that slightest shade difference can really kill the Foxtrot Azure colour's magic look and feel. IIRC, when introduced this colour car was sold with a premium and also perhaps a colour introduced by Fiat for Linea alone at first.

A word of caution, do not blindly trust the "Sahab colour original dupont hi ayega" line. There are lots of other minor details that are guarded by the painters like a secret receipe. It is very common to use less 2k, clear coat that protects the paint layer and metal inside to save costs on material.

Here are the colour details, please verify the same with your paint shop.
    • Manufacturer : FIAT / LANCIA
    • Code : FT041
    • Color name : FOX TROT AZURE
    • Panel No : 824236
    • Var. :
    • Color Change :
    • Paint system : STANDOX BASISLACK
    • Coat : 2 COAT
    • Finish type : Gloss
    • PB :
    • Standard Date : 20/10/2009
    • Formulation Date : 21/10/2009
    • Revision :
    • Form-No : 5643052
  8. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Swapnil why you are trying for vinyl wrap?
  9. swgaan

swgaan Amatore

Panvel, Maharashtra
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Superb Feed back "asimpleson".

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ok, as the repainting the whole car will be a pain.. so my next option will be going at 3M and trying their products to restore the original gloss on the car, also would like to have the quote for the PPF for whole car, i guess that will be an economical option.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Why not get the touch up done at certain places and later get an extra layer of clear coat just the way Satchidananda did. It will go a long way and may cost slightly more than what 3M charges, but much better for the health of your car paint.

It's a better option I guess.
    1 person likes this.