1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

!!! Disappointed !!! An ardent FIAT fan...

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by snvikram2000, Oct 19, 2014.

1. snvikram2000

snvikram2000 Timido

India
    I own a Grande Punto Emotion 2010 model and this is the 3rd Fiat made car in our family.

One important reason for our love towards FIAT is the build quality that lasts for many years. But this time with Grande Punto there is a disappointment :(

Since last year there are bubble like blisters showing up in the body, it is in the bonnet cover, boot door and driver side door. This looks really bad and is increasing every month.

When checked with the service center, they very casually say the car is now 5yrs old so it is normal to see problems like these and i will have to get it repainted to have this cleared.

Does this mean the new FIAT cars don't last longer than 5yrs? Is the paint quality going to be so poor? Do you think i will even be able to sell the car with such blisters in the paint?

Not sure if there is anyone else with the same problem but I am raising it here to see if Team FIAT is going to respond to this and if there is anything they can do about it...

20141019_121902_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20141019_121959.jpg

20141019_122011.jpg

20141019_122120.jpg
  2. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Check if there is rust formation from inside, that could be one of the problems for these kind of bubbles forming inside the paint.

You can also mail to FIAT directly regarding your problem. Check the response from their side.
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Most likely rust under the paint.
  4. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    This cannot be certainly associated with age of the car, unless the car was exposed to some extreme weather conditions.

I think every service center will have customer relation manager, take your SA to him and have a discussion with the manager on the so called analysis, check with him if he concurs with it and if so ask them to give in writing. Once you have it take it with Fiat (Mangesh), and most of us had a very positive experience with Fiat customer service for genuine issues.

Goodluck.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Don't know if they will own up to these issues. These problems are more at Mumbai or other coastal areas. But some cars develop it faster than others depending on water used, sometimes ground water (boring well water) is blamed. I am beginning to feel some batches of 2009-10 cars had these issues. :confused: Even during Palio/Siena days there was a specific batch of cars that had a faulty rear boot lid, which had severe paint retention and adherence issues, esp. in Siennas.

Last week during re-fixing the rear bumper found that 2 out of 3 rear brackets had fallen off due to complete rusting. Even the SC guys were cursing Fiat for providing brackets that could not hold up well. Got all the three brackets replaced.

Anyways, you will need to get these areas thoroughly scrubbed with wire and filled and repainted. Perhaps if rusting is too much maybe re-welded with healthy sheet metal. A complete overcoat could cost a bit, but ensure an enhanced car life. Rust proofing is the added measure you could look at if you want to retain the car for next few years.
  6. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Guys, Fiats rust faster( atleast in the average number of complaints I have seen in service centre compared to other brands) My 3 year old linea is rusting from under the paint in many areas.Fiat people were telling that its the water which is just a lame reason. My Linea is in a covered car park and washed with care where as my 8 years old Maruthi Alto which is not even cared properly and washed with same water and parked in open and exposed to sun, rain , dust and bird dropping doesn't have single rust under/within/over whatever or wherever.
    Ok now I am expecting someone to comment that Maruthi build cars with plastic and fiat builds tanks with thick metal sheets. So before some one comes with a sarcastic comment, I would appreciate if they also come out with details on the Grade of the sheets used ,manufacturer details of the sheet and the pre paint panel prepping process.
    Rusting from under the paint is something very very serious and it plainly points to some serious lacking in Process/Quality. People working in Engineering and Manufacturing sectors will know this stuff.
    Atleast in my case Fiat has agreed to repaint the panels for me. But its me who is skeptical . It will take another week or two for me to get the car back from the Service centre.
  7. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @snvikram2000 : quoting your post

I do not know what do you mean by that. Can you please explain what kind of response you are expecting from us? Can you also explain what do you expect us to do about it ? Would also help if you could tell us what do you think this forum really is.

Once your expectations are clear proper advice can be given.

Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    nkrishnap, prabhjot and kedarbendre like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Quit whingeing! Go get the repainting done, at FASS, after loud voicing on your part if needed. Or just get it done outside FASS. This kind of S##t happens occasionally. Just routine maintenance in the aged life of a car in Indian, or any, conditions. 19 out of 20 Fiats will not see this problem, but yours did. Deal with it man, far worse happens on cars from other brands, that does not mean people start getting all indignant/sentimental. Maintaining a car is a serious thing, a car is not an appliance, even appliances give trouble after 5 years sometimes: such things and often much worse happens all the time to all cars from all manufacturers all over the world. Have/make FASS deal with it. .Your Fiat AS A WHOLE is good for another 5 years, with periodic maintenance, trust me man, we've had five over 7 years in the family.

regards, and cheer up!
    rishike007 and mangeshtendulkar like this.
  9. snvikram2000

snvikram2000 Timido

India
    I thought you would understand that it is a complaint from a customer and you (Fiat) would know how to respond. Nevertheless; Thanks for trying to understand the expectations and also taking effort to enlighten me on what the forum is meant for...

Let me try to explain.

Problem: Blisters in the paint across many places in the car, due to body rusting from under the paint.
    Age of Car : 5yrs
    City : Chennai (Tropical zone of climate, not extreme like Jammu or Thar)

The Kind of response i was expecting?
    1. Do you (Fiat) acknowledge the fact that a car getting rusted allover is a genuine concern for a customer?
    2. Do you acknowledge that rust from under the paint is a manufacturing defect and some serious lacking in Process and Quality?
    3. Is age of the car considered to be a justification for rusting? If so, Does it mean the new FIAT cars don't last longer than 5yrs?
    4. Do you realize that 2 out of 6 commented in the thread have faced a similar issue with Fiat cars?
    5. Do you understand that people facing these kind of issues will never buy or recommend a Fiat again.
    6. Is there anything that you have done to eliminate this problem in the future models? or should we always have fingers crossed when choosing a FIAT (pl don't put yourself down by saying other cars too could have this problem).
    7. Do you understand that this post is a negative review / complaint and you should be knowing better on what to respond to a genuine complaint?

"Can you also explain what do you expect us to do about it ?" - Anything to get rid of the rust from my car and make sure the issue doesn't come again.

"Would also help if you could tell us what do you think this forum really is."
    - I thought this is a ownership review and posted it in "Ownership Reviews (Ownership reviews (initial and medium to long term) of your cars go in here) / Punto. Pl correct me if am wrong...
  10. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    snvikram2000: This forum is not owned by FIAT, this is a independent forum own by enthusiasts. Please understand the question put by Amogh before you reply. I hope this clears your doubts.