1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Dimming of all lights under load

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by DRIV3R, May 28, 2012.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Hi FIATians, I own a 2012 Punto Emotion 75 HP. It is a feb manufactured one, which has a Jan manufactured Exide battery.

I saw that the ODO was flashing during few cold starts, which is a sign of a weak battery, later I noted that whenever the AC compressor kicks in, there is a dimming of all lights, plus, whenever the hazard blinkers are turned on, there is dimming of the other lights, even when the engine is running and the battery is well charged.

I checked the electrolyte levels in all cells of the battery, plus the battery was checked with the multimeter. They said that they battery is fine. Now I am suspecting that the battery is acting up during load.

Any pointers as to what the issue could be? Faulty battery/ Faulty Electrical wiring/ Faulty Alternator?
  2. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

Pune
    Hey DRIV3R,
    Is this a recent observation ? I think there is a slight dimming whenever there is some load on the battery. Not sure if its the same for all cars. Should not be much of a concern,
    -Srijit
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Blinking odo is not always a sign of low battery. There can be other reasons too like a blown fuse etc. It happened once with me and disappeared on it's own.

That said, the dimming of lights - is it momentary or does it happen for a prolonged period of time?

In the Linea, the lights dim for a fraction of a second at times when under load ( AC or something other), but get back to normal after that fraction. It's normal. The electrical system experiences a load and recovers within a fraction of a second.

Cheers.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    +1 to Gurjinder, Happens in my 2010 manufactured Punto as well. I've got the battery checked using ECU scanner and it's in fine health. So I don't think there is anything much to worry.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Thanks Gurjinderji for the reply. I have read in other forums that the ODO flashing can be due to a weak battery/B&M error or some fuse as you said. This happens all the time, I mean, when the hazard lights are turned on, whenever the hazards are on, the parking lights, interior lights dim. IMO, this should not happen and this is not normal behaviour.

But, I have not observed this behaviour in any other cars, unless the battery/alternator is faulty. Do you observe the same with your car?

Thank u all for your replies.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    When the hazard lights are turned on, the cabin lights do dim. Also the engine rpm fluctuates. This happens in almost all cars.

Dont worry about it.

ODO flashing once in a bluemoon and the problem disappearing is due to the blue and me acting up sometimes.
    Credit goes to BILL GATES who is founder of Microsoft which comes with associated bugs.
    1 person likes this.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes. Gurujinder is right. I also get light dim when I press brake paddle or use pwr window.As soon as the extra load comes the alternator stabilise the charging current as said Gurujinder.But this type of light dim does not happen in M Swift DDiS. Coz Maruti use 65 Ah battery while FIAT MJD has 50 Ah battery.That's why I had started topic " Battery Upgradation"
  9. Punto Maniac

Punto Maniac Amatore

TN07
    But this type of dimming or dull honking irks you, when you want to brake and honk at the same time. I'm certain this problem wasn't there when I took delivery of the car, but off late, I've started noticing it more.

BTW, has any one upgraded the battery??
  10. fernandeskaran

fernandeskaran Amatore

Mumbai, Maharashtra
    Mumbai Suburban
    Linea 1.3
    I have upgraded the battery to 60 Ah about month back.. Still slight dimming is noticed :(

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013