1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Different Profile Tires

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ganges, Dec 12, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Just for illustration - Imagine a Punto running on stock 15"s and then later with 22" wheels. Will these two have identical final gear ratios. No. The 22" wheels will effectively make the final gear ratio taller.

Something similar happens on a very small scale when we alter the tire sizes. Nothing new here.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    When you say effectively, I think you mean to say the same thing I'm saying - In reality the gear ratios won't be affected, but because of the larger wheel we will "feel" a taller ratio.
    1 person likes this.
  3. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Best i Yoko in this case I have heard its very silent...also better looks
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    puntosat,
    i have changed my tires:selected Yoko AVS DB : -195/65/R15.it is silent but look wise not so special.
    Yoko S- Drives awesome but with profile 205/55/R15.

Lets wait for another 10K Kms to comment on the tire noise.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    during my recent trip got another puncture to my old Gt3(53K Kms old) ,yes it was again the rear left tyre.i didnt even felt any difference untill i drove on the bad patch of the road :( tyre gone more worst and of no use.hence replaced with the spare tyre.
    i was not having spare tyre anymore and have to travel for another 1000Kms hence decided to purchase a new tyre and ended up with Bridgestone MY-03 price 5700 INR(195/65/R15).This tyre is in my boot as a spare. :)
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ganges, after GC upgrade kit installation, I am also considering to changes my all (4+1) tyres to 195/65-15 size from std size 195/60-15, as they are nearing their end of life. I am running behind madly for the GC as the road condition of my office route are mostly in bad condition throughout the year and I am considering leh trip this year. Since you already using this profile size tyre, just wanted to get feedback from you on following points:
    1. Using non standard size of 195/65-15 for Punto create some warranty issues.
    2. How much increase in body roll you are experiencing.
    3. are tyres hitting the wheel fenders/arches
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Answers:
    1.Why you want to go for 195/65/15 at first place,after GC up gradation you don't need 65/15 profile.Still you want to go ahead with this 65/15 there would not be any warranty issue.(I have read it here in forum that after GC kit punto is as good as a SUV).
    2.Mixed responses from the TFIAN's here in forum.(Not sure on it).
    3.195/65/R15 will not hit the arches. Don't worry.

Why changing Stepney???if your Stepney is in good condition don't spend money on buying additional tire,buy 4 new tires and enjoy.
  8. guys if anybody wants to sell the stock punto emotion tires please let me know, I kinda need new tires but under strict budget for now. I will pay 1k more on the whole set of 4 than what dealer offfers.

9. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Varoon, GC=185mm after upgrade, but if you compare it with other vehicles with similar GC (e.g. scorpio) its GC seems less and large hood may be the contributing factor. I tried on my bijwasan route to check my increased GC, i was easily cleared the cleared the 4/5 large bumps/potholes, but on one it touched slightly.
    Also all my four tyres are totally wear out and one of them is not even in usable condition, so replaced it with spare one. And now I am driving without any spare tyre. Therefore since I have to change my all tyres, so why not gain some more GC J.
    I am changing my spare tyre as difference of radius is more than 9mm between new tyres (195/65-15) and spare tyre (195/60-15), which is a appreciable difference.
  10. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Finally I have changed my all four Apollo aceleres stock tyres(195/60-15) with Michelin PLC (195/65-15) and keeping the spare one of Apollo. Since I have changed these tyres after GC raise kit installation, it is not touching my wheel arches and ride quality is improved with silent ride & all rattling noise gone :). Also I do not feel any significant body roll after installation of GC kit and changing higher profile tyres. Also now GC is increased to 185+9.5=194.5mm , now i can drive on rough roads without any worry :dance.
    1 person likes this.