1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Different Profile Tires

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ganges, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i want to change my tires in installments :) i.e first month Front tires and after one or two months rear tires considering the all sudden bomb to the pocket.

The tire profile change will be from 195/60/R15 to 195/65/R15,hope this gives me better GC, atleast expecting of 10mm.

Front tires will be replaced from OEM profile 195/60/R15 to 195/65/R15,later will replace the Rear tire profile and will keep the spare of profile 195/60/R15(like the punto sports model low profile spare tire :D )

the query here is :- for this one or two months if i run with two different profiles Front:-195/65/R15 & Rear 195/60/R15 will it affect any mechanical parts(suspensions) considering the height achieved by new profile tires i.e 10mm or any damage to the ride ?
    a facelift punto :D.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Ganges:

1. If you ever want to change just 2 tyres, put the new tyres in the rear not in the front
    2. The rolling radius difference between these 2 sizes is almost 10 mm. Would be a very bad idea to have 195/60 R15 as spare
    3. AFAIK if you put 195/65 R15 on one axle and 195/60 R15 on the other, there may not be any major issues, but handling will be weird
    4. If you ask me, put the money for 2 tyres in a 90 day FD and then buy all new tyres 3 months later. You will end up saving a bit :D

Rajan

Edit: Correction to point 3 above. Even if you put same sized tyres on the same axle, I guess you will be messing with the center of gravity of the vehicle.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    2 people like this.
  3. sandy.chegi

sandy.chegi Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi Ganges,

Let me narrate something I had to go through. It so happened that, the right rear tyre had a side wall cut. I think it was not deep enough though. I brought the car from Hyd to B'lore at an average speed of 130-140. It was all fine.

Then I was planning for a trip to Ooty. Now that I had my better half with me, thought of changing the tyre as it would be a section of hair pin bends. I started my search for a 185/60/R14 tyre. However, Mich had new set of 185/65/R14 and my requirement availability was very rare.

I went to about half a dozen tyre care centers but none had the profile which I wanted. In one of the locations, the guy suggested me to have 2 new tyres in the rear which had higher profile that is 185/65/R14 rather than 185/60/R14 as the profile which I wanted was not available and put the older one to spare.

Considering this, I believe it can be done, Also, if you commuting is not very high, you may go ahead and get it done. BTW, just an update, Mich XM2 185/60/R14 costed me 4900/-.

Hope it helps. If gurus have different point of view, they may pen down their thoughts.

Regards,
    Sandeep
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1.i will try to put the new tires in front just for one week and will be cautious while driving,want to check the facelift punto :D
    2.195/60 R15 as spare,spare should always be spare will not run with it too far.... if my pocket permits later will change that as well.
    3.but handling will be weird,thats my worry... let me try so with this so that i can comment.
    4.2 tyres money fixed deposit after 90 days i will save for one car wash :D

the GC upgrade kit is also the same thing,here i'm raising the GC by tires ;) .if it was with suspension kit then there should be a thought about center of gravity ?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks sandeep for giving your practical experience.
    will do as you suggested.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    No, not really. Put the 65 profile ones in the rear and enjoy driving.
    2 people like this.
  6. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    One point...

I have 185/70/R14 Yoko A-drives on my car..

When under full load and I take a acute right curve..at speed..I hear a noise from back tyre..

I found out it was tyre touching the back bumper on the inside...is this normal for evryone??

I have a 2012 Punto MJD
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    have anyone used Yoko AVS DB ?
    im in dilemma now between MIchelin PLC & Yoko AVS DB.
    the dealer told both are silent,as compared to Michelin ,Yoko's AVS DB is more silent... :mad:

Final quote(195/65/R15) with wheel alignment and balancing for free.
    Yoko AVS DB :- 5350 inr
    Michelin PLC :- 5800 INR

ODO reading(FWD) :- is it callibrated/calculated with front wheels or rear wheels,im planning to put my new tires in front ,hence need to know the difference in ODO reading.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    dont know whether the question was wrong or tfi members(including me) are very much choosy to answer the query's to the only known members.

Thanks
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Both are excellent tyres,take your pick
    I would choose Yoko's though,as they are known to be extremely silent and provide good ride comfort.
    Btw why 195\65 and not 195\60?
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    wanted more GC,as the time have arrived to change the tires,hence 195/65.