1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Difference in engine performance of Swift vs Punto

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aniket Dessai, Dec 17, 2015.

1. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @SwifttoPunto .

Most of your points are pretty accurate as far as the comparison is concerned. Few things that you have not noticed and will notice in future as your ownership time increases.

Brakes for Swift are really not confidence inspiring when compared Fiats. The LXI, VXI are nothing to write about. The ZXI has brake boosters and better than the other two. ABS has nothing to do with braking. Its actually the opposite that's why called Anti Locking Barking system. It helps stay on course by not allowing locking of tires due to braking.

But do you feel its really a match to Fiat. Not sure if you have done some spirited driving and braking. As you drive the Punto more you will obviously feel the difference.

Handling part no doubt Swift is pretty fun to drive and holds it own against the competition. It no doubt comes a respectable third with Fiats and Ford older Figo/Fiesta taking the top honours. If you compare all less than million rupees Fiesta/Linea will take the first spots followed by rest of the Fiats and Figo. You just had one highway trip. As you munch more miles take your Punto to ghats and off road and you will make out the difference between Swift and Punto. And mind you this is with 185 GC. Imagine the handling of pre 2012 Fiats.

Third part is turning radius. I think the pre 2012 turning radius of 5.4 meters for Punto is still stuck in everyone's mind. For the current lot its 5 m for Punto, 4.9 m for Swift and guess what 5.1 m for Elite i20. Do you think Punto's turning radius is still an issue?
    Anup, rajks, linea4me and 4 others like this.
  2. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    How has the turning radius decreased by that much? Are you sure it's 5 now?
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes it is. It's just people who crib about Fiats just go by ancient facts without driving themselves.
    Dr Nitin Dutta and PradeepM like this.
  4. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    There is a hard sheet metal protection to your bottom. So this combined with increased GC, take Punto anywhere. I don't think any aftermarket setup will be as good as this one. Avvy, Puntos can perform almost like a SUV.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 18, 2015 ---
    I owned a swift before punto. The brakes are pathetic in a swift esp in highways. You always in high risk zone when at and above 100 in highways. That too combined with a tin metal body build will scare. Engine is great. MS knows to imitate and innovate a Fiat engine than anybody else in this market today.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Dr Nitin Dutta likes this.
  5. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @nibedk
    I am not saying Swift brake is comparable to Punto. Certainly not. But they were adequate for me and I did not find it so scary at all. On Highways I never felt they are inadequate. May be because I had top end versions.

On turning radius, I can certainly say Punto's turning radius is bigger than Swift. I have seen it in places where I take U turns daily. But as mentioned earlier, it is not an issue for me, but I only mentioned comparison to Swift.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    My observation,

The rear seats come covered with a solid metal plates in the boot area, thus saving them from any sharp objects in the boot when loaded. I don't recall seeing this kind of solid arrangement in any of the other cars.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Turbothinghy and linea4me like this.
  7. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @SwifttoPunto Yes Swift top end brakes are just about adequate. And when I am talking top notch braking performance especially at highway speeds north of 130s. Some spirited driving and braking is what I am talking about. Driven sanely one would hardly notice any differences.

Yes the turning radius is less for Swift @ 4.9 m when compared to Punto's 5 m. So it cant be a real deal breaker. And i20s is actually more than both Punto and Swift but it hardly comes up into discussion while car buying. More than any thing else its the consumers mind set which is not allowing genuine car makers to blossom. That has resulted in companies like Ford diluting their core strengths. If we all want better cars the Indian car buyers mentality has to change. Till we continue taking high mileage and nifty features over drive dynamics and solid build car makers will keep dumping third world cars here.

Am I a fanboy ... no way. But I love the Fiats and the Fords and the Skodas and the VWs who are looking beyond mileage and features and provide vehicles which are more safer and better to drive.
  8. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    People have corrupted my brain by suggesting against a fiat. There is no issue with Punto Evo or the FASS in my town yet my brain is searching for one. I hope to book it by the end of this month.
    Dr Nitin Dutta and PradeepM like this.
  9. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    you are not alone mate.

I am sure, 90% of the folks who advice against any car, would not have driven or owned it personally, most of the talk is based on zero facts.
    Anyways as I always said in other threads as well, go with your heart irrespective of what car or what people say, as it is your hard earned money and what ever you buy with it should keep you happy (not someone else).

All the best in your decision making.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  10. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    If you have decided, then I think you should check before Dec 20th to see current offer of Rs. 150,000 benefits available for your choice/model.
    Certainly you will enjoy the vehicle and if you have a nearby service station, no second thought needed.