1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Difference in engine performance of Swift vs Punto

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aniket Dessai, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Why do most reviews say that customers of Fiat have better tuned the engine compared to Fiat.
    Is this realted to the ECU only? Can Fiat improve the improve the engine tuning after purchase?
    Within Fiat how do you guys compare the performances of Avvy and Punto. I want to buy Punto but only Avvy 90HP is available for TD.
  2. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Go to some other showroom nearby your place where TD of 90 HP, 75 & Avvy are available. This is called bewilderment which I experienced before buying Fiat. Thats why I feel each car of Fiat or even within linea / avvy / punto is very Unique.
  3. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    I believe, its more to do with the gearbox as well.
    Can... definitely yes. Would they; Very Unlikely
    Masum Reza likes this.
  4. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @KPR there's only one dealer in Goa. Maybe some existing customer might allow me to drive.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 17, 2015 ---
    Is the Punto 90 gearbox bad? What does rubbery gearbox mean?
    I am upgrading from a WagonR( its gearbox too struggles).
  5. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Aniket Dessai . I owned a 2006 Swift which we drove for 1.2 Lacs KMS before selling it off. I currently own a 2014 GP 90 HP and am closing in on 30 K KMS. Most other premium hatchback especially i20 Elite, Polo and Swift have better gear boxes than Punto. Most Fiat cars are more of highway monsters where gear shifting isn't that big a deal unless you are in a mood to shove the A pedal to the metal. In short gearboxes from other manufacturers are more slicker , shorter and precise. Fiats had messed up the ratios big time as well and with the long throws the rubber band effect is more pronounced. Drive sanely and the gear box wont trouble you much. You will have occasional issues slotting in 1st and 2nd gears. Reverse from cold start will mostly be an issue. If correctly slotted that is slot it into first gear, move forward a little and then slot reverse will work fine but moving directly to reverse while starting the car will have issues.
    Do keep in mind that with usage the gear box response will improve and slotting will become easier. But if you want to burn some rubber this gear box can be pretty irritant. Abarth Punto does a 0-100 drag in 8.8 sec and that's only due to the gear box. A better one would have resulted in sub 8 secs timing for sure.

Why doesn't Fiat fix that thing? Well its economy of sales. Fiats hardly sells and with Punto/Linea at the end of their life cyles no point plonking in better gearboxes which would require some R & D and test cycles besides pushing the prices north. Fiat has tried to provide best of the things that matter unlike other manufacturers selling tin cans. Some compromises had to be made and hence this gearbox.

But let me tell you after driving Swift for close to 9 years and Punto for close to 18 months I can say the Fiat is a much better all round vehicle compared to Swift. City driving is a easier on a Swift but everywhere else Punto outshines by big margin.

With the new ECU update for 90 HP engines Punto/Linea are much better to drive in city as well. If ASS is good at your place go for Fiat without a thought. This decade old chassis still gives all the new entrants a run for their money as far as ride, handling and dynamics is concerned. You wont regret your decision. Everytime you hold that well calibrated HPS you will feel absolute control over the vehicle and the grin that gets plastered when you leave every other car to dust taking a curve is to be experienced. No other car south of a million bucks can match Fiat. Rather nothing else other than Octavia/Fiesta can beat/challenge which is close to double the price.
  6. Aniket Dessai

Aniket Dessai Amatore

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @nibedk I used to face real problems in WagonR when at times on the run it would not slot into 2 nd. I hope Punto's gearbox is at least better than that. I don't mind getting a bad feel as long as it slots onto gears.
  7. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    I don't face any issue in slotting the gear(s). But yes, the gear ratio are not perfectly mapped, hence not the best.
    Having said that, it all depends, what you want from vehicle. Punto/Swift/Figo all are competent vehicle in different aspect, and each pleases, different set of customer(s).

If you are sure, what you need from car; you'll surely be able to pick the best car (for yourself)
    Iyu and PradeepM like this.
  8. Revv

Revv Amatore

Chinchwad, Pune
    Chinchwadgaon Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Even I never faced any major issues with gearbox. We have Alto K10 and Linea 1.4 fire. There is negligible difference between the two. I guess it only matters when you try to change gears quickly. I am more of a sedate driver when driving Linea. Third gear is more than enough while driving within city limits.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. SwifttoPunto

SwifttoPunto Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Swift (I had both petrol and diesel):
    1. Both petrol and diesel are excellent to drive in city/traffic.
    2. Steering wheel, even though EPS, very accurate and one can enjoy the accuracy of it. Handling is good.
    3. Even on highway I never felt any issue as such (I had driven in diesel at _65 speed and in petrol _40). But lightness of the vehicle makes you little nervous.
    4. Breaks are good on highways (I had both top end) may be because ABS. But few times in traffic and few times when vehicle got turned off suddenly I had faced nervous moments. But on highways I found it be no issue at all.
    5. Ride is slightly bumpy on top end versions but good on lower end versions. It must be because of tyre difference.
    6. Boot will be a concern if you have occassional long trips.
    7. Gear and clutch combination is excellent. Gear is smooth and easy to operate, except reverse gear.
    8. Reliability: I had swift diesel for 4 years and swift petrol for 2 years, I did not have a single issue/problem. There was absolutely no issue. Service locations were convenient, service was satisfactory and cost of maintenance was absolutely not bothersome.
    9. Drivers comfort is better, indicator stalks are on right hand, visibility is good, all buttons are placed at convenient places, spare is an alloy, spacing between pedals is good, etc.

Punto (Now I own Punto 90HP)
    1. City driving no problem. Before ECU update I was thinking did I make a mistake by replacing swift petrol with Punto. But after ECU update city driving is not a concern at all. Still first gear is short and second gear weakness also felt on slopes, but 3rd and 4th gears are joy to use. Everybody mentioned turbolag below 2000 RPM, but lag is felt in city driving only below 1200 -1500 RPM, after that it pulls very well. But after 2000 RPM you will really feel the power and push you back into your seat.
    2. Gear box: Yes it is rubbery, not comparable to swift at all. But it slots correctly and you might face issue only you want to change the gears in hurry from 3 - 2 or 4 -5. May be as many owners mentioned it be get better on usage. Should not be a deal breaker at all.
    3. Clutch (Long travel): I initially faced difficulty in adjusting to this, but now got used to it mostly. Should not be a deal breaker at all.
    4. Visibility: It is really good. But thick A pillar sometimes create blind spots until get used to.
    5. Strong Build: You can easily make out difference in build when you open the doors, boot, bonnet and drive. It gives much more confidence than Swift.
    6. Ride: Better than Swift.
    7. Handling: Seems to be better than swift, but have not felt any identifiable difference during my drives. It is little more eager in approaching curves, but swift is also not way behind. During my only highway trip that I had (I bought it just a month back), it had left pull problem so I had to regularly correct the steering. But yes it give more confidence than swift on highways.
    8. Steering: On highways it betters swift, but in city driving you may find swift is better.
    9. Turning radius: Yes swift has shorter radius, but you may not face any problem with Punto either.
    10. Boot: Certainly bigger than swift and usable.
    11. Reliability & Service: If you have a good service station nearby then only I suggest Punto. Otherwise Swift.

Punto or Swift you will enjoy driving both. Many of the problems that reviews mentioned are not really concerns, but you will get used to it within few days, some may be in couple of months.
    Iyu, PradeepM, prabhjot and 1 other person like this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Following things come to my mind:

1) Swift's gearbox is slicker and has better gear ratios that helps it to achieve a better 0-100 sprint timings.

2) Punto is heavier by almost 200 kgs which again bogs down the intial response, but this weight on the highway transalates into a greater momentum (mass*velocity) and stability.

3) The engine tuning is also a little different in both the cars. Swift does have a better top end, due to its ECU tuning, gear ratios and weight. In general, the Fiat's MJDs are tuned for their excellent mid-range, low end respone is poor in general. The only car that uses the MJD and has a great low-end response is the Chevy Sail U-VA.

Now, difference between Avvy 90 HP, Punto 90 HP and Punto 75 HP:

1) Avvy and Punto 75 HP are better in the city conditions owing to different tuning and shorter 2nd gear respectively. Though, after the recent ECU update, the difference shouldnt be much.

2) Punto 90 HP has the best mid-range performance, its really punchy.

3) Punto 75 HP doesnt have much performance left after 3000 RPMs where as the other two have power till 4000 RPMs. In Punto 90 HP, in 3rd gear if you are at around 3500-4000 RPMs it feels crazy.

Also, even though the MJD is used in a lot of other cars, only Fiat has been able to tune it to sound awesome around the red-line. It sounds very sporty.
    PradeepM and prabhjot like this.