1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Difference in Earlier Mjd 1.3 and newer 1.3 Mjd ( BS III and BS IV ? )

Discussion in 'Technical' started by linuxmanju, Apr 3, 2013.

1. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Hi Guys,

Can someone explain me if there is a difference in Earlier pre 2009 Punto Mjds and 2012 Mjds ?. I just happened to drive a 5/6 years old Punto (75 HP) and looks like it has a very nice top end compared to my newer Punto 90 HP . I could easily do 160 Kpmh on Hyderabad Road, But my friend who owns it says he could do around 180 Kmph. Where as my 90 HP punto struggles to do 170 Kmph.

are the newer Mjds toned down to comply with the Regulations ?, If so, what are the options I have to get more out of it. Will bypassing CatCon alone will do the job or Is it ECU mapping which is restrictive. I would appreciate if some one could throw some lights on it.
  2. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Pre 2009 Mjds ? AFAIK is punto is launched in 2009.
  3. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Have a 2009 August month manufactured Linea MJD EPK. To my knowledge, it's BS IV. Yes, I personally have done 180kph, in Tindivanam-Pondy highway road, just to check how far can the puny 1.3 litre really take from the 1.3 ton machine.

On comparison with new Lineas that I test-drove, I felt, the newer ones lacked the top-end performance. Not that noticeably though. But again, 2009 models, have a horrible 1st and 2nd gear ratios. As long as you learn how to tame those 2009 MJD's, you'll not even notice the bad 2nd gear ratio, though nothing can be done with the 1st. In newer models, the gear ratios are different; especially the 1st and 2nd, they are long. But 3rd gear won't pull unless you're above 30kph.

I feel there's some difference between 2009 manufactured MJD's and the newer ones. Also, do note that 2009 MJD had lesser power, around 88hp, as in the case of Linea. I hope, some one who's technically strong, would be able to point out the difference!
    1 person likes this.
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    BS-III and BS-IV linea have different fuel pump, ECU and some other parts too which I don't remember now had searched for difference in parts in EPER a year back.

BS-III linea though have lesser power than BS-IV linea's (86 vs 93 ps) on paper but BS-III linea is quicker and packs punch in 5th gear till 4000 rpm. 2009 Linea's are a treat to drive on Highways. Haven't driven BS-IV cars much only TD's but difference was visible in the way BS-IV were feeling a lot light in B2B traffic and missing a little turbo punch when pushed hard.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Another point to note is that your friends 09 car would have clocked more kms than yours and due to the fact that MJDs get better with age, the engine would rev more freely.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  6. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    But also, not all 2009 Linea's were under BS-III. I think post august 2009 models, were BS-IV. And yes, 5th gear packs a punch, starting from 45kph all the way to 180kph!
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    No all 2009 models were BS-III while BS-III & BS-IV both were available in 2010 manufactured in 2010 (not old 2009 leftover stock).

8. Can some one confirm this with gear ratios, I feel it was more of ECU tune which made the difference.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, am sorry for the wrong info! My 2009 MJD is indeed BS-III. My bad! :hit

All 2009 models are indeed BS-III.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Only Fiat can confirm if gear ratios were changed between years. Even I think the difference is due to different maps.