1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel vs petrol engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Ravi_M, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Linea 1.3
    I understand well that one is usually advised to go for petrol vehicle when the usage is less, because the extra money needed for diesel vehicle is not justified then. However, I always think about better utilization of the fuel and diesel cycle is understood to be more fuel-efficient.

I did check this category briefly for this topic, but did not find any discussion, hence this thread.

At least few years ago, diesel vehicles were known to be dirty, polluter, noisy and also costly to maintain compared to petrol ones. At many national parks, diesel vehicles were banned. I don't know if these are so even now.

However, now it is a general impression that diesel engines have improved greatly and except for being more noisy than petrol, the negative things are greatly reduced.

I went for emotion MJD after using petrol Indica for 9 years and though my usage is not high (19K km in 27 months), I am not repenting for buying a diesel vehicle.

Experts on this forum may please comment and clarify.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    I saw some online video sometime back which mentioned how US now has a policy to encourage more Diesel vehicles than Gasoline. The shift in policy is due to improving combustion and reduced exhausts and emissions coupled with the other benefits that diesels were always known for.

When a customer buys a car he or she is even prepared for a higher EMI as per their financial strength, but for many the same cannot be said when it comes to recurrent costs including fuel expense. Somehow the lower fuel costs, higher FE and improving performance of diesels, sometimes at par with petrol, makes them a very compelling option for many people. :)