1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel Particulate Filter - a waste of resources

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by drifter, Mar 10, 2011.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Who says that FORD cars do not emit black smoke ?

I have seen many FORD emiting black smoke more than MJD.
    MJD smokes very less as compared other common rail engines.
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Vijay , go at
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... to&ct=clnk

On this page it mentioned that

The engines are the Fiat 1.2 8V Fire (65 PS), a new 1.4 8V Fire (77 PS) and the 1.4 16V StarJet (95 PS). Four MultiJet diesel engines are also available: two 1.3 16V units (75 PS (55 kW) and 90 PS (66 kW), the latter with a variable geometry turbocharger) and two 1.9 with 120 PS (88 kW) and 130 PS (96 kW), all of them with diesel particulate filter. The 1.9 diesel will be replaced with new 1.6 JTD starting in the end of 2008.

So FIAT MJD has diesel particulate filter. ::T
  3. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Thanks Bhai for the confirmation and the link. Its appreciated.
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @bhai
    Indian GP and Linea don't have DPF.
    The site which you are quoting have copied that data from Wikipedia.
    Why do you always bash other diesel engines. Ford TDCi have almost zero turbolag why don't you bash MJD for turbolag.

@kailashnj
    If Indian Fiats had DPF then they would also have warning lights for DPF to warn the user that regeneration is in progress don't shut the engine off like the one in image below taken from Fiat Grande Punto International user manual
    Neither do I see something like DPF in my Linea MJD. See the image I have posted which I took while my exhaust system was being worked upon.

Screenshot.png

View attachment sdsd.jpg
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    TDCi may alomost zero Turbolag. Most negetive point of TDCi is horrible knocking of TDCi.

Knocking is nighmare for any engine life. :devil

Do you know knocking can drill the pisten head also. :shocked

Rev the TDCi in neutral gear. TDCi knocks like tractor. :thumbs down

Will you prefer the Diesel engine with such type of horrible knocking ?

You are alleging me that I am bashing TDCi engine. So Iam inviting your attention to this point.

Definately you have noticed some special in MJD. That' why you are owing MJD. Additionally if you are owing TDCi then tell truth. Which engine you like more . MJD OR TDCi ?
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    @ bhai- that is not knocking. there is a diff between knock and clatter/noice. knocking is caused due to detonation of fuel in the combustion chamber and may lead to pitting/piston damage etc etc.

no car can drive normally with knocking.

TDCi is old school ford engine with 2 valves per cylinder. still ford manages to produce 68bhp and propell the fiesta perfectly.
    the icing on the cake is the gearbox ratio due to which you hardly find any lag on fiesta.

and MJD is way better engine than the TDCi and even the hyundai CRDI
  7. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    I was told it is most environmentally friendly when not used at all. :lol:

On a serious note. You are right, but this is what manufacturers are not worried about. They are in the money making game and to fulfill environmental regulations they do in the most profitable way for production and aftersales. A lot of the regulation are a joke in all aspects. There is much better ways to this, but that would benefit the enduser only.
  8. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    So can someone please confirm whether DPF is there in 1.3 MJD's sold in India?
  9. vinayk

vinayk Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Do the Indian 2014 onward 90 hp MJD in Punto and Linea have DPF fitted?