1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel hatchback for a first timer? Edit: Booked 1.3MJD Emotion Pack

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by mayurbhatia, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

When i went for a diesel car, i never thought how many Kms i may clock in a day.
    What took me to a diesel is definitely the price of the fuel and the mileage diesel cars can give.

When I went for the TD of punto, i was very very new at driving, but the moment i took the car, i was impressed by the steering of the vehicle. Now that i have a punto, i can completely vouch on that steering. it is class apart.

As you said, taking punto for TD was a necessary confidence boost for my driving too.
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. I'm new to TFI and don't own a car yet.

I'm planning to go for Punto Emotion(75 HP Diesel). But, before that, let me tell you about me first. I have no experience in driving cars. The only experience I have is, during the days when I learnt driving and that too, its long back, it was in March 2000, when I took the driving license.

The normal driving maybe about 20Kms/day and not sure about the weekends, it may be very long or none. Once in 2-3 months, I may travel either to Bangalore / Chennai (From Coimbatore).

So, I thought, I'll seek your opinion on this. May be, if someone could compare the cars with bikes, it'll be more helpful to me. I own a Yamaha RX 100 and am very crazy about it. I know quite a lot about most of other bikes, its technology, features, FE, etc and went for RX 100 only because of its handling and accelerator response.

If anyone could tell me, whether Punto would suite me as that of my bike's performance, I would be more than happy.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The one car which can match the RX100 would be the FIAT 500 Abarth SS.

But since getting it from our local TATA-FIAT dealer is not possible , i'd suggest the Punto 90hp. A mix of everything in the right proportions.

Do post an introduction here. ( Or maybe the mods can move it there)

4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Scintilla, welcome to TFI. Your case is similar to mine. I also owned a bike but I own a Yellow Karizma 225.
    Kt has a 0-60 timings of 3.8 seconds which is even faster than the T-Jet. When it comes to cars, a lot more things matter in qddition to the performance. Fiat cars have great in gear acceleration timings and I guess they can sufficiently satisfy your performance needs.
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I wonder how valid is the argument about buying a diesel car only if you do more than 'X' kms per month, so that you recover the additional cost in say 'Y' years.

I bought my 1.3 MJD E Pk just prior to my retirement because I liked the way the car drove. Now my daily running is not much, but when I drive it I enjoy the car, and most important, as Gurjinder so very aptly pointed out:

"At the Petrol pump , paying 37Rs a litre for diesel feels better than Rs.65 for petrol"

6. Sorry for my late response, had changed my email id in the profile. Didn't know that I had to confirm again with the link sent from TFI. Just now did it.

@Gurjinder: Even, I thought of 90HP, but its too costly for me. So have to settle down with 75. But would like to hear if the handling would be that of 100. Since I'm uncomfortable with heavier bikes like pulsar/unicorn liked to know since this car is one of the heaviest. Forgive me if I'm crazy. I know we have to balance the bikes & not cars.

@PaddleShifter: Yeah, I agree that other factors matter most when it comes to cars rather than performnace alone. Still, I liked Fiat because, till this date, it was only one Linea which overtook me and was not able to catch up to its speed after 80. It just zoomed past me. Will the Punto 75 perform similar to Linea? (I think it was Linea TJet)

@Johnny: I thought the kms I may clock may be a factor to reply back with a suitable option & moreover its just the cost of the fuel that I go for diesel, nothing else. Sorry that I didn't mention that.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Example:- Approximate calculation

40 kms per day + 500 on weekend ( in whole month ) 1700 km in a month. Lets consider mileage of 15 for Petrol car. Petrol Price in Pune Rs. 60.

Lets calculate 1700/15=113.33 Liters of Petrol. 113.33*Rs. 64 = Rs. 7253.33-------> Monthly Consumpation on Petrol. Cost of Running / km = Rs. 64 / 15 = Rs 4.26/km for Petrol

Now calculate for Diesel.

Lets consider average mileage of 19 kmpl. Diesel Price in Pune Rs. 41

1700/19= 89.47 liters of Diesel. 89.47*Rs. 41 = Rs 3668 --------> Monthly Consumption on Diesel Cost of Running/ km = Rs. 41/19= Rs. 2.15 for Diesel
  8. sungoa2010

Apart from the petrol and diesel price calculation one has to consider the EMI difference also. Approximately in 800-1000 kms whaterver extra cost that one pay for EMI will be cancelled by the price difference of diesel(rough calculation for 1.4 FIRE Vs 1.3MJD). The real difference starts from there. But once we start using the vehicle all this calculation will go from my mind infront of 197NM of torque that we feel like missing in highway overtaking and cruising with a light foot. So I will direct towards 1.3 MJD.
  9. Thanks a lot for that calculation kedarbendre & SunGoa.

I'm planning to do a TD tomorrow. Not me exactly, I've requested one my friend to do it for me, may be I'll also give it a try and see if I'm able to drive it atleast for a few meters ;)

Moreover, I'm out of choices. I tried Swift VDI ABS, but they say I need to wait for atleast 8 months to 1 Yr for delivery. Polo, Fabia, I20 are out of my budget since I'm keen on some features like ABS, airbags and not the basic models. Ritz and Micra are out of my options since I didn't like their design.

Let's see what happens. As far as I asked those who own cars (not Fiat alone), they gave very good feedback on GP. Their only concern was the service. I'll check how its here in my city and if not satisfied, will find some private service stations who can handle that. And I'm sure I'll be able to find some good mechanics here, since most of them here are automobile lovers, there surely will be someone out there.
  10. teky

teky Esperto

Check with fellow TFI members from Coimbatore and they should be able to give you honest feedback. The names that come to my mind are nskumar, cvanandh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.