1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel hatchback for a first timer? Edit: Booked 1.3MJD Emotion Pack

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by mayurbhatia, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayurbhatia

mayurbhatia

Pune
    I have recently learned car driving and would say am about 70% confident at the moment. I am looking for a hatchback in range 6-7 lac.

I took test drives of Punto 1.3MJD E+ 75bhp and i20 diesel.

Punto
    ------

Loved the way I could handle the car even in peak hour traffic in Pune. For a first timer, it boomed my confidence 4 times. Equipment and feature wise, this car has a lot to offer and that too at a reasonable price. I found the interiors good enough and not something to crib about. The steering, gear and seats were very comfortable. The overall driving experience was top class.

i20
    ----
    Too pricey first of all. Still took a test drive and had problems with gear shift, steering (just dint feel confident holding it). Also, the car just kept moving even in lower gears and I was not able to control it (or atleast did not feel that its in my control - may be because of more power that this car has). Interiors are good and driving experience was ok - not worth the price atleast for me.

My daily drive would be close to 30-40 kms and occassional weekend trips out of Pune. So keeping that in mind I have a few queries.

1) Is going for a diesel car worth it with 30-40 kms per day? Or should I be looking for a petrol hatch?
    2) If its a diesel hatch, should Punto 75hp E+ be fine considering that I am a first timer and I may not be able to handle 90hp (also its a bit over my budget)?
    3) I dont want to consider Swift/Ritz because they are too common.
    4) Should I even think of considering Ford Figo Titanium as an option? How does it compare to Punto E+?

Thanks in advance for helping!
  2. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    Hey there :) Nice to see you on this forum.
    I suggest you go for Punto 90HP .... :) Lil pricy than 75Hp version but worth every penny....
  3. go for the punto.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    1. The general consensus is that if your monthly running is less than 2500 km's , then the extra expense of buying a diesel is not justified in economic terms. That means you end up spending more than you hope on saving by running a diesel car.
    So, strictly in economic sense, a diesel car may not be justified.

But , then there are folks like me who always go for diesels for two reasons
    a. I love the way the diesels drive and feel.
    b. At the Petrol pump , paying 37Rs a litre for diesel feels better than Rs.65 for petrol :p

Diesels are inherently more fuel efficient than petrols. Since your budget can accomodate it , i suggest a diesel.

2. Punto guys can clarify that. And buddy , dont say 'may not handle'. In a week or two you'll handle it as easy as anything.

3. Bang on . And they are not comparable to the quality of a FIAT.

4. You shouldn't. After driving the Punto as you have already , i'd suggest a Figo test drive. There's no comparison really. The 1.4 TDCi engine of the Figo Fiesta etc isnt really the best out there and is rather outdated ( single cam, 2 valves per cylinder )

Also , search the forum. A wealth of information is lying here which can help you decide better. And being new to cars, do read up about turbo diesels ( if you buy one) and how to care for them. Its a lot different from petrols.

Gurjinder
  5. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    You should re-read your post an you'll get the answer my friend :)
    Let me be the first one to congratulate you for owing a FIAT Punto :D
  6. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Trust me, that 3-40kms driving you do will go up after you buy a car - any car. More so if you buy a Punto!

Don't worry about it being your first car. Go for the 90bhp if you like it.

Sure, go ahead and test drive the Figo. It will only make you sure about the Punto.
  7. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

I have not driven i20, so can't comment on it. But incase you are thinking of taking TD of Figo, than I assure...your first turn will be towards Punto showroom. +1 to Amit, "3-40kms driving you do will go up after you buy a car - any car. More so if you buy a Punto!"

The driving confidence what you get in Punto is unmatched specially on highways.
  8. Diesel engines go/run with out rebuild for 4-5 lack kilometers , so If you buy a car which has good build quality then you can think of keeping it more then just 3-5 years.
  9. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Diesel is a good option for you as you have a running of more than 1000Kms pm, 90hp is worth a buy as you will feel the extra power on highways and freeways.
    Build Quality is definitely better than the i20, even I had i20 in mind but diesel i20 is way too costly.
    Interiors of punto are good if not top notch, you can modify the interiors at a lesser price than spending on buying an i20.
    Even I am a new driver and have learnt driving 7-8 months ago, It will hardly take you a few kms to get adjusted to any car and a few hundred kms and you get a good confidence, but always remember there is a thin line between confidence and overconfidence.

All the best on whichever car you buy and have a safe drive.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Absolutly 1.3 Multijet :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.