1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel Hatchback dilemma

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by harry_1407, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It is been great to see a forum which is dedicated to FIAT and I would also like to say that this fiat enthusiastic has finally landed on a wonderful forum sharing various information regarding FIAT cars.
    I am now on a hunt for a very good diesel hatchback which would primarily be our second car. The first one is a petrol Hyundai accent which belongs to my dad and since it is a petrol variant we do not use it extensively because of sky rocketing petrol price. 90% this diesel hatch will be used by me and the remaining 10% will be used by my better half. The car will be spending most of its time in the city with some occasional highway run accounting to twice or thrice a year.
    Ok these are my priority
    1. Diesel hatch (with 4 cylinder one hence Beat TDCI, Fabia and Polo are removed right away)
    2. Good space (rejected Indica vista because of TATA)
    3. Good built (Hence I have rejected Maruti siblings)
    4. Fun to drive (hence rejected i20 because of NIL feedback from the steering).
    5. Rear leg space (cos I am 6ft)
    6. Reliability
    7. Maintenance cost
    8. Budget 6.5L
    9. Good seats for comfortable highway driving
    10. Must have ABS. Airbags Hmm… need to think on this
    Going by the above list I have narrowed down to
    1. Ford Figo TDCI Titanium variant
    2. Fiat Punto MJD Emotion 75hp variant
    Myself and my wife took multiple TD’s of both the car and found Figo TDCI and Punto mjd emotion variant comes close to our requirement. My heart is tilting in the favour of Punto while my head says go for Figo.. Today morning I took another test drive of Punto Mjd from VST motors Chennai and it was an awesome 30 mins drive needless to say anything ill about this car. I had earlier told my wife about the turbo lag which she says “nothing” compared to figo, which we took TD last Sunday. She likes the MJD engine compared to the TDCI because of NVH levels low in punto. I have almost made up my mind to book Punto but only concern is the availability of spare parts in Chennai. Now I am in a complete fix as to which one to buy.
    Experts kindly pour in your suggestions about the following points.
    1. Both these cars.
    2. Availability of spare parts in Chennai.
    3. Chennai TFIans kindly let me know more on the service delivered by Concorde, VST and TAFE. Which service centre is satisfying your needs.

Thanks for your support :)
  2. Hi Harry,

Now that you have already narrowed to figo and punto its easy for others to give their view.
    My thoughts on both of these car
    Lets start from Figo:
    Drivers car, looks small but has huge space

Dont think it has the power to sustain and give the feel good factor down the line say 3yrs..initially all the cars in today's given situation wont give much of a problem, but after 3yrs when you drive I certainly feel it would lack the punch in it and also it looks very normal and the build quality is certainly way behind fiat. Also I see that your looking for air bags abs for which you have to shed extra money and since your 6ft I feel in the long drive you will definetly feel the strain

Moving on to Punto:
    will start with negatives:
    we all know that fiat is trying to rebuild and regain its confidence with the Indian buyers. the plastic quality is not upto the italian standards, turbo lag which is common in almost all the diesel hatcback, 1st and 2nd gear is little long but it would not cause any difficulties and its not the fastest when it comes to 0-100
    Moving on to positives:
    1st of all its an italian beauty which cannot be compared with any1 and by comparing it with figo your certainly giving a lot of respect to figo:D..the build quality any given day super...in the long drive it stays on the ground and you wont feel that your flying low:redcar..can be altered in which ever way you would wanna do it...for your ht its gonna be the correct car...also not to mention the drive quality which is simply awesome:wow..service: now that they have tied up with tata, we need to look for the rite service centre and its gonna rock and wrt to availability of spare parts not to worry as the availability is certainly there...the list of the positives goes on and on..
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The FIGO is a popular car , but that does not translate to it being a great car.

Firstly , the FIGO engine. 8 valves, Single overhead camshaft. This was a technical milestone. But in the 1930's or so :) You don't wanna spend your hard earned money and still be driving an outdated engine.

Now, the FIAT Multijet. 16 valves, Dual overhead camshafts. This is the real deal. And if you can stretch your budget for the GP 90, you can experience this engine in an even better form.

I firmly believe that FIGO is built to compete against its like. Namely Swift , i10 etc etc.

The Punto is a cut above this segment. And in this segment it is the benchmark.

Make a reasoned and a bold choice. You know what i mean. ;)

4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Harry,

Well Chennai TFIans can comment on the spare part availability part but let me give my opinion on Figo vs Punto. I have driven Figo and spent some fair time with it.
    I won't be talking much about the Punto as a lot has already been said about it here. I am typing from my phone.

FIGO offers space equivalent to Punto and i20 even though its smaller in size. This is largely because of the smaller dashboard and lesser angle between bonnet and windscreen, i.e. The windscreen in FIGO is more upright. In Punto and i20, the windscreen ascends almost in line with the bonnet. Hence the front seats are pushed back and dashboard is BIG in Punto/i20.

What I feel is that Figo does not give that big car feeling like Punto. Mostly because of that thin dashboard.

In Punto, the cabin space is decent for a 6 feet driver in front and a 5'10 at the back. For a 6 feet driver with 6 feet passenger sitting behind him, the knees do touch the back of front seats but never dig inside it.
    FIGO also offers almost exact cabin space as Punto (never judge cabin space merely by pushing the front seats all the way back as seat travel is variable in different cars). The front seats in FIGO are thinner. Had they been as thick as Punto's I am sure Figo would have less space as compared to Punto.

I have talked about space and seats. Now I will talk about reliabilty and maintenance cost.

Well Punto/Linea suffer from reliability issues. Rather they suffer from inconsistency. Some cars are excellent. Some are giving troubles right from day one. Some come with a niggle right out of the factory.
    BUT the cheap price of FIGO also shows from all the problems Figo owners have reported in teambhp till date.

FIGO has one advantage though. I am sure that local mechanics can handle a FIGO and third party spares must be available for it since it has sold so much. So you can get better support at various places.

As far as OEM spares are concerned, Ford cars are known to be expensive on maintenance. In the JD Power customer survey, FORD ranked at the bottom if I recall correctly, in terms of customer satisfaction in after sales support.

Hence I summerize::
    Rear leg space (cos I am 6ft)- Figo=Punto
    Reliability- variable
    Maintenance cost- Punto better than Figo
    Good seats for comfortable highway driving- Punto>>Figo
  5. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

have no doubts friend. just go for Punto Emo. spares shud not be a problem in cities like chennai.
  6. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Guru's, Thanks for the valuable inputs.

I would like to know more about the AC effectiveness in Punto as my wife felt that Figo's cabin cools faster than punto's. Also I would like to hear from Chennai TFIans regarding the service delivered by the 3 dealers.

@Klub Class: Yes I too saw the thread in TBHP regarding "Car dies occasionally while downshifting" and there are multiple issues like a GC, Mud flap breaks etc.

More inputs from other TFIans
    Thank you once again.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
  8. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    4 of my friends own a figo so i can comment on the following. figos exteriors are made really strong i think even better than a punto. the bonnet is really strong. besides the fit is also better than punto. when i press the dashboard in my linea i can hear squeekes while figo is really well built.
    figo is a very common car. once someone walked into my friends figo thinking its his car which was parked just ahead of us. punto is exclusive.
    the suspension of figo is what i hate the most. though the ride is flat but it makes a very unrefined noise. accident etc repairs will be much faster than fiat. my friends figo was returned in a week after a replaced bonnet, tail gate, rear side panel and two bumpers. whereas fiat will take at least 15 days.
    figos ac is a real bless in hot summers. it chills so well.
    punto excels in looks and styling. it offers superb ride and stability.
    these are the points which came to my mind, hope it helps you deciding.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    NVH levels are more in FIGO.
    Rev the engine . Loud diesel clatter is there.
    Spares are excessive costly. e.g. price of High pressure fuel pump is Rs.75000/-

I have not taken TD of FIGO yet.
    But I am sure that in the dept.of Ride & Handling,Road stability,suspension set-up & Safety
    no one can beat Grande Punto.

See the crumple zones inside of engine compartment of Punto. The metal quality in GP is outstanding.

The width of metal inside the engine compartment is insane robust.

Everytime I open bonnet of my GP, I feel proud of to be a owner of car having build quality which matches to the Military Tank. If you met any road mishap,FORD can't give you guarantee of life.

After all " Jaan Hai to Jahan Hai"
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.