1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

diesel hatch i20 or punto 90hp or 76 hp

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sharadverma, May 5, 2011.

1. sharadverma

Hi friends,
    I am planing to buy a diesel hatch, I am totally confused between i20 crdi or punto 90 hp or 76 hp. I have a daily run of around 100 kms in city and a highway run of arround 300 kms in 2 months.
    I want to buy a punto but worried on the ASS, MILEAGE, MAINTANANCE COST, RESALE VALUE AND REAR SEAT LEG ROOM . I am in delhi.

Please help me out with your views and suggestions

Delhi/ncr members pl. Share ur contact nos. If possible so that I can have a word and discuss
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Moved to appropriate section.

Sharad, first welcome to the forum.

For your worry about Fiat A.S.S, maintenance cost etc, have a look at ownership section. You will get most of the question answered.
    Both cars have some merits and some de-merits.

If you compare car-to-car, Punto 90HP will be a better choice, considering Looks, Mileage, Maintenance cost etc. A.S.S is a talking point, overall its OK. Hyundai has certainly better reputation in the market.
    Resale value is difficult to say, but i20 should be the winner here.
    Space wise, both are almost same.

Finally do multiple test drives of both car and decide which you like the most.
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Let me try and answer your queries one by one

Fiat After Sales depends on the dealer. Find out which dealer has a good reputation in Delhi from this forum. Moreover, with the 15k service interval : the car does not not need service. Buy a car which keeps you happy when you are on the road :)

i20 and Punto are at par. Both give excellent mileage. Range is 15-18 (City) and 19+ (Highway)

I am not too conversant with service costs of the i20 but I can tell you that Hyundai service IS expensive. Punto is typically low maintenance with a 15k service interval. Besides, Fiat does keep on organising free check up camps where they top up fluids and check your car for free. I have not seen Hyundai do this. Punto is known more for minor niggles than major breakdowns (that crown goes to VW !!). Again, the 90 HP Punto has most of the niggles taken care of.

Considering resale value before buying a car is like discussing divorce terms with a girl you are about to marry (I don't know if you are married but I hope you get my point !!)

Again Punto & i20 are at par. Personally I find the rear seat seating position in the i20 odd. Just did not make me comfortable. The champion car for rear seat comfort is the Indica Vista.

As Ravi has rightly pointed out, take multiple test drives of both the car. And by multiple test drives I dont mean you drive the same car multiple time on the same route !! Take it out on different terrains, highways, city roads etc. Make sure you spend a considerable time in the back seat while the sales guy drives the car. That is the ONLY way you will really know about rear seat comfort. Opinions as you know are subjective. If possible, take your family along.

And if nothing works, attend a TFI Delhi meet ;)

Finally, welcome to the Forum and I hope we are able to take you an informed decision.

4. sharadverma

When tfi delhi meet is going to happen, I hope in the meet I will get all my answers
  5. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

il cut it short for u dude..

i20 --> steering rattling issues,poor/weak a/c cooling,pricey,ok kinda after sales service..

rest amogh has given a detailed description..and also FIAT service depends on the dealer around u..best of luck for ur purchase :)
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    to be very honest...if you want a fun to drive car go for Punto 90HP. Whenever you for the test drive of these 2 cars do check the NVH level at different speed as well as at idle position
  7. sharadverma

Nvh levels?
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Noise , Vibration & Harshness
  9. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    Amogh has mentioned almost everything in his post.
    Punto is meant for people who love to drive and are not concerned about what people say and owning a FIAT is a difference experience all together.

Between Punto and i20 its pretty simple
    Owning an i20 is like getting married to Aish/Deepika in India :p (atleast 3 out of 10 cars in a Hyundai i20)
    Owning a Punto is like getting married to Kelly Brook/Jessica Alba in India. :D (hardly 1 out of 10 cars is a Punto)
  10. sharadverma
    i have a punto emotion pack 75ps and a very close friend of mine has an i20.
    we exchange our rides as per our needs.
    I can tell you with no doubt that punto is ages ahead than the i20.
    except in the ASS department.
    even that can be sorted out if you acquaint yourseilf witha good service manager.
    the fit finish of the punto is a little lower compared to the i20 but then in all other things it is sure a winner.
    onlt that the brand is FIAT and people have some negative thoughts in their minds and thanks to those idiotic magazines every where who are bought by rival companies to declare their own car as the winner. makes a letdown to the car.
    any major/minor issue in the car will be sorted out for sure. unlike hyundai which never bothers.
    these are my personal experiences. the rest is your wish