1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel filter change ..... frequency

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com, Jul 10, 2013.

1. ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com

ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com Amatore

Vadodara , Nashik
    Vadodara , Nashik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi friends ,

had been to Fiat dealer yesterday and was sharing my experience with Punto
    with the GM of Bhaskara Fiat , there in our discussion he had suggested that
    its better if you keep replacing Diesel filter after every 3000 to 5000 Kms to
    keep your engine in good condition... He also said it will not cost you more than
    Rs 300 to 450 /- for replacement.

The reason for doing this he said , that since we don't fill the diesel from one source
    especially while running on highways , there is a possibility of getting low quality
    fuel i.e kerosen mix and even water mix , which may harm your fuel pump and in-turn
    your engine ... by replacing filter the fuel is will get filtered more effectively and you will
    be in peace of mind state always.....

The reason to raise this forum is that its no-where mentioned in service catlogue
    that replace filter at such frequent interval,, as first servicing is at 5000 km and next after
    15000 km....

so please comment on this....
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

The Diesel Fuel filter costs slightly over 1700. Not sure about his logic. On the other hand the Air filter costs 300-400 and can be changed every 5K kms or so.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

right. are you confusing between diesel filter and air filter.
    In either case air filter also does not need to be changed every 3-5k kms. So i'm not sure what he is talking about.

As for the case of diesel filter . I think FIAT advices to change the filter once every 15000kms . Depending on the quality of the fuel i would say get it replaced once every 10-12k kms
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Diesel filter once every 15k. 15k is fine ; no need really to change it earlier.

FIAT says air filter too every 15k, but it wouldn't hurt to change it every 7500km.

5. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

The bottom of the manual says this. I would say, inspect the airfilter and change it if it clogged too much or just keep a habit to change it every 7500kms

6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    There are two type of filters, one is oil filer another is diesel filter. Oil filer is costs less. I guess Asish is talking about oil filter...
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I agree 15K is perfect,and infact the interval is short when compared to other manufacturers.
    i follow the routine of replacing the airfilter every 7500Kms.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes all are aware,but you do not need to change oil filter,till the time you replace oil.