1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel Dilemma: Sub-10 Lac Rs. Sedan

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sharma_sanjeevin, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    Their are certain features that Linea has but are missing in Altis.
    From what I know, in the international markets, Linea competes in the D segment only.
    However, with the image FIAT carries in India, they had to pitch the Linea in the C+ segment.

I think the Toyota badge and the overall quality(interior fit and finish) and space is what makes the Altis more expensive than Linea.
  2. Test Drive Report of New Hyundai Verna
    Courtesy AutoCar

Here is a first drive of the new Verna, a car we think is a quantum leap over the previous model. The latest Verna is the seventh generation one and is built on a completely new platform. The chassis is much stiffer than before and has been optimized for better crashworthiness to meet the increasingly stringent standards in Europe and the US.

The new Verna looks impressive and sports Hyundai’s new ‘Fluidic Sculpture’ design which is a mix of sharply sculpted and flowing lines. The interior design isn’t as cutting edge as the exterior but the dashboard is nicely shaped with a subtle indent on the top. The switchgear feels good and the top-spec India model will get full electronic adjustment. But storage space in the cabin isn’t too generous.

The front seats are quite comfy and there’s fantastic legroom in the rear too. However, like with the previous Verna, the seat is too low and this compromises under-thigh support. Moreover, the corners of the rear seat are rounded off excessively which again leaves you with little thigh support. It’s because of this that the Verna’s rear seat, despite the generous legroom, isn’t as comfy as the Vento or City’s.

The Indian Verna will get two petrols and two diesels, none from the previous Verna. Instead, Hyundai has plonked its latest Gamma petrol and U2 diesel motors under the hood. The pair of petrol and diesels both come with 1.4 and 1.6-litre capacities. It’s the 1.6 diesel which pumps out 126bhp and 26.5kgm of torque which promises to be the cracker.

Hyundai’s new-generation Gamma petrol twin-cam, 16-valve motor comes with continuously variable valve timing and, as a result, power and torque outputs are pretty healthy. The 1.4 delivers 106.5bhp, which is very impressive for a small capacity motor, while the 1.6 Gamma dishes out 122bhp to make it the most powerful engine in its class.

We drove the 1.6 petrol with the auto ’box. Fire the engine and it idles pretty quietly. Snick the spindly gear lever into D, prod the throttle pedal and the Verna leaps forward quite eagerly. Engine response at low revs is pretty good. Pile on the revs though and the 1.6 Gamma’s engine eagerness fades quite quickly. The mid-range is adequate but at high revs, this motor struggles quite a bit and feels strained and thrashy.

The suspension hardly gets a workout when you’re driving on the long, smooth and arrow-straight roads in UAE. And there’s not much steering work to be done either. The Verna felt remarkably planted and the long wheelbase gave it a composure that promises to make it a good long-distance cruiser, however strong crosswinds can unsettle the car. Its true test though will be on Indian roads though. The steering is quite light but still had pretty good feel around the centre position but it doesn’t weight up consistently and at times feels disconnected from the road like many EPS units. However, that won’t bother typical owners who will be looking for an effortless steering and light controls for an easy commute.

The new Verna, miles ahead of its predecessor, blends practicality, quality and value in a package that is more upmarket and stylish than before and is good enough to disrupt the established order of the City and Vento.

Price Range (in lakhs)*
    Ex-showroom Price - Rs 7-9 lakh (est)

Installation - Front, transverse, front-wheel drive
    Power - 106.5/ 122/90/126bhp
    Torque - 13.9/15.9/ 22.5/26.5kgm

Gearbox - 5-speed manual/ 4-speed auto

Chassis & Body
    Length - 4370mm
    Width - 1700mm
    Height - 1457mm
    Wheel Base - 2570mm
    Weight - 1715/1575kg

Front Independent, MacPherson strut
    Rear Non-independent, coil springs
  3. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Now it will be interesting fight between the Vento, Verna RB, New Fiesta & Linea.

FIAT needs to gear up for the 1.6 MJD, otherwise it will be very hard for them to catch up with the competition. By not promoting their cars in an aggressive manner, they seem to have already miss the bus. FIAT India Wake up guys.
  4. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    IMO Linea shouldn't be out with 1.6 MJD, it will kill sales for 1.3 MJD. Rather they could bring in some new product with 1.6, that will help company in increasing product portfolio also without killing the existing ones.
  5. sharma_sanjeevin

Anyways the Linea 1.3 is not selling in big numbers. The 1.6 MJD may increase the sales a bit But FIAT has to promote the car aggressively. without that, being what may the will not be able to sell in good numbers.

Seems FIAT Management is sleeping and they are happy selling 17XX odd cars a month.
  6. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    If Fiat comes out with 1.6 Linea, it will remain a company with 2 cars with different engine options. The way to increase sales is to increase different product offerings in market. Ever wonder how maruti comes out with such high numbers.

I would call for launch of Bravo hatch and sedan. New launch, excellent product, new engine.... everything new...
    "Attraction Guaranteed"
  7. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow !! So much discussion when a Fiat car is under consideration ?? No wonder of the 9 threads in the "What Car" section this thread has the most number of posts. After 8 pages and 76 posts I would have taken a decision by now. I see that everybody has managed to find some problem or other with each car that is under consideration.

Some have handling but don't have power
    Some have power but feel like a boat
    Some drink oil but have awesome torque
    Some have everything but a sleeping management and falling sales !!

I am actually tempted to rename this thread as : Diesel Dilemma: Sub-10 Lac Rs. Sedan with ALL the features in the world !!

Yeah the Vento has a best in class 1.6 engine but what about the price / benefit ratio ? Are you getting any extra / additional features vis a vis the Linea ? To hell with the features : You don't even get 3 free servicings with the Vento. All routine services are paid. Add that cost to the 10 lacs you are going to spend. And yes : good luck dealing with the arrogant VW staff

Having said all this : I still think you should buy the Vento. Why ? In case something goes wrong with the car and stays stranded at the service station for days

1. You won't feel too bad because you still own a "premium" car
    2. You still own a car with top notch quality interiors
    3. You don't have to go to a Tata service station to service the car
    4. The glove box of the car will still be in its place and not fall off (although I can't say the same about the cabin lights and engine head)
  8. sharma_sanjeevin

Agreed, the decision should have been taken by now. But waiting to check out the other 2 cars which are going to be launched in a short span of time. Namely the Fiesta & Verna.
    I think it is fair to check / analyse all the cars in the segment.

And in case the Mods think that the thread is unecessarily dragged. They can close the thread.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    In this case I will wait for another 6 months to buy a car. I will wait for FIAT to launch 1.6 MJD, if they lauch 1.6 MJD then no doubt I will go for LINEA. If they dont launch the 1.6 MJD I will go for Hyundai Verna RB. I never opt VW Vento. 10lac is not worth for Vento with the features Vento offers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.