1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel Dilemma: Sub-10 Lac Rs. Sedan

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sharma_sanjeevin, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Sharmaji - your post itself is so biased towards Fiat :) you just can't hide your love for the beauty :D

You are sold on the Linea but you have managed to find the legendary issues with the legendary car :-D

Your main concern as i notice is

1. Low g.c. - The "legendary ride and handling" of the Linea is a result of this legendary low g.c. so its something you have to compromise with .

2. Fit and finish - i just don't know what to say..... Its like chaand mein bhi daag hai ....lol.... Was that convincing enough :D

Sx4 is not an enthusiasts car imho...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sharma sir,
    - Linea
    - Verna RB
    - Vento
    - SX4

Out of these, If I have to select one, I will first rule out SX4 as I have had first hand experience of its ride quality (and rattles).
    Well, Verna RB looks cool too. I will place it ahead of Vento, ignoring superior suspension of Vento as compared to Verna.
    Vento's cost of ownership isn't known yet as well.

Going by the package/price ratio- Linea scores and ranks at the top.
    I can no longer speak about FIAT cars. Yes, I am biased and proud of it. :)
    [attachment=2:nvalwbge]Verna RBe.jpg[/attachment:nvalwbge]
    [attachment=1:nvalwbge]P4260178.JPG[/attachment:nvalwbge]
    [attachment=0:nvalwbge]Pammu's Linea.jpg[/attachment:nvalwbge]

Verna RBe.jpg

P4260178.JPG

Pammu\'s Linea.jpg
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    PS - The last one you posted isn't the RB I guess - It's the i45, It's got it all lol
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Teky ji, Thanks. ::T That means RB is not even what I was expecting till a few minutes back. :)
  5. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    Shahjahan Sahab, here is the reaction to your post :lol it was awesome. On a serious note yes, the Linea seems to be the most VFM of the contenders. But still we should give a chance to the other Soon to be launched Cars to prove their point :)

Doctor Sahab :) thanks for the kind suggestion.

Question for you guys: Can the 16 Inchers from the T-Jet be fitted into the MJD E+ without the Warranty being void ? is there any impact on the handling & the suspension life. As it may not have been tuned according to the 16 inchers, what are your views about that ?
  6. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Sanjeev, tough choice in this segment isnt it?!

My take:

1.) Maruti-Suzuki SX4 DDis: Stay away from the SX4! It's crude, cheaply built and either you will talk or drive because there is so much of wind, road and engine noise in the car that you will struggle hard to listen to our passengers! And this is for the petrol! I don't believe a word of the NVH refinement in the DDis being talked about by 'experts'. It's these same 'experts' that failed to notice the noise inside the cabin of the petrol car and the pathetic worse then playstation steering of the car. I have driven a lot of cars in my life and I can easily say that the SX4 steering was the worst I have expereinced.

2.) Hyundai R8: Looks interesting doesn't it? Hyundai keeps getting better and better with every model except in the handling part. Now, I drive the City with the puny tyres but handling is okay 80% of the time, I mean, we are not F-1 driver's are we? Problem is the Hyundai's I have driven weren't even okay for that 80% of the time and THAT is the problem.

I have to add here that a few days of driving the City and I think 'hey the handling and ride is quite good. Surely par for the course!' Then I drive the Punto and every car seems outdated in this area!

One more point against the Hyundai is their attitude. God forbid if you have a problem. They are still not accepting the i20 problems. And off late there are many complaints of unresponsive attitude of the company. It just seems like they think they are far superior to Indians. As you know, I am in the auto OEM business and interact with a lot of auto companies and vendors. Most vendors have very interesting stories to tell about the behavior of Hyundai officials.

3.) Linea MJD: As good as this car is competition has moved onto 1.6L engines. High time Fiat did that too. Let's not talk about acceptable performance here. In light of the way the competition is moving ahead, acceptable performance is not good enough.

4.) Vento TDi: Seems to be the only choice. Only problem is VW's long term reliablity and maintainence costs.

Why did you forget the new Ford Fiesta?
  7. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    At one point when i was thinking of Diesel wanted to go for Vento. I am just crazy fiat fan and I went with my JET it is pure VFM

Diesel as rightly put, Vento or FIAT with 1.6 MJD. Fiat seriously need to get 1.6 MJD ASAP. Else Linea numbers might drop over a period of time

Go for Vento TDI. If you are considering SX4 then Linea 1.3 MJD would be the best choice.

Thanks
    Vasu
  8. sharma_sanjeevin

Mumbai
    Yes, Agree it is a very difficult Choice, considering the number of options which are going to be available soon..!!

My take:

Hmm.. tend to agree with you as you have owned the SX4 for quite a long time now. Need to test drive the Car, will be going for the same today. I will update on the experience.

It looks Awesome..!! but need to see the Car in Flesh. The 1.6 CRDi Engine must be a scrocher, just wish they have solved the boat like handling. Agreed we are not F1 drivers, but i expect decent handling as in the case you pointed from the City.

Agreed. Any information about the 1.6 MJD beng plonked into the Linea, high time they consider an upgrade. Sometime ago heard rumours about the Engine being delayed due to the Gearbox development going on. I wonder why a separate Gearbox for India, when the same engine with an existing Gearbox is doing duty in the international version, any thoughts ??

Volkswagen Vento dosent seem to be evoking any excitement whenever i see the Car, just the Engine is the only Saving grace for this one. And agree that the Maintenance would be very high in VW's case.

Is it on onset of unveiling in India Soon ?? if yes, this could be the game changer for Ford if priced right. Like the Figo.
  9. sharma_sanjeevin

Mumbai
    Yes, considering the current brigade of the cars which i have listed down, interms of the Power & joy of driving the Vento seems to be the Best Bet. But the High Maintenance Costs & Above ALL the waiting period of 5 Months ::OO it is a big NO. Also, seating a Third Passenger at the rear seat is impossible, forget an adult you will not be able to seat a kid comfortably as a third passenger in the middle, due to the Very high transmission tunnel.
    High time FIAT to wake up and plonk the fantastic 1.6 MJD into the Linea, as the competition (aka: Vento, Verna RB & the New Fiesta) has already moved on to higher capacity engines.

I will test drive the SX4 today hopefully, and will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the advise.
  10. sharma_sanjeevin

Mumbai
    Just came from the Maruti Showroom, they dont have the Cars for the Display in the Showroom. But they confirmed that the launch is happening on 22nd February.

And on the Price, they hinted that it will be around 90K dearer to the Petrol Cousin.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.