1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel Additive

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by airfoil, Apr 26, 2012.

1. airfoil

airfoil Novizio

I'm game to try this ABRO additive out one time and post my findings here. Question is, is it likely to cause any damage? This is my first diesel and I'm still learning about the system and maintenance aspects.

In the recent 1000 or more km, I've not ventured out on a highway and never got a chance to rev the engine at all. After reading here on TFI yesterday about revving the car once in a while to clean out any deposits, I tried this today, on a 100m stretch with low traffic. Only got a chance to max out in 2nd gear though. I was surprised at the result:

I left a veritable cloud of black smoke behind me when I accelerated hard. Never seen that before. I then tried again on another stretch a kilometer later, but this time there was no black cloud. Seems like this rev thingie does have some very positive effects in cleaning! Comments please.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The Question you gotta ask yourself is - Does my engine really need it?

1 person likes this.
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I saw a Diesel additive and all kinds of thrush and cleaners at 3M but I didn't want to experiment on my new car. If it did any good, I am guessing it would be used as part of the service by TASS or at least mentioned by Fiat in the Owner's manual.
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Clearly mentioned in Manual to strictly avoid the additives. You will end up choking injectors.
    Whether it's 3M or 30M, who knows FIAT's engine better than FIAT.
    Another strict comment is not idling your car at first start for a warm up (for eg. morning). Instead drive it sedately for first 5 mins till it warms up. Let us avoid re-inventing wheel when the pioneer of common rail suggest otherwise for their engines:mrgreen:.
    2 people like this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

This is something new now..
    I usually idle for about 1-2 mins before start and then start moving slowing for another minute or 2.
    There are just so many arguments about this.. That i'm really confused now.
    is there a definitive answer for start up?
  6. gurjinder

Kindly refer to the "Start stop idling" thread. We had a healthy discussion on this topic there.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

@The Black: It shouldn't be new if you have read the manual thoroughly. Additives, Engine STOP-START & many other key information's are already there which we used to guess around & keep on agreeing & disagreeing with. Recommended start up procedure is press clutch, crank & don't ask engine for performance till it warms up according to temp. needle readings.
    There is noting like Engine RUN-IN though:lol
    FIAT's hand book is clearly the most authentic information at-least for me.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am using System D since last 5 to 6 tank fulls, the car has become very smooth. When I contacted Pandit Auto SA he said system d is not made for Multijet it is for tatas tdi engines. Now I am confused.
  9. S.K

I had used system g in my santro engine got smoth but in my indigo TDI system d was used but it dint work there infact fuel pump had to be service even nozzle had to be service luckily all work was done under warranty .. after that I had stop using system d and stick to regular diesel only
  10. gurjinder

We should stick to normal diesel, always.

Save money. Save any unwanted additives in our diesel. As far as possible, fill up normal diesel from a trusted bunk.

The diesel filter is expensive for a reason - it filters excellently. It has to , otherwise the common rail pump + injectors of the Multijet can commit suicide. ;)

vishal_tomar and Grandeur like this.