1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Diesel Additive

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by airfoil, Apr 26, 2012.

1. airfoil

airfoil Novizio

Anyone here used diesel additives to clean up deposits from the injectors? My Punto 90 has done about 20k km and I'd like to give her a preventative sort of dose of a diesel injector cleaner.

I've come across conflicting reports about the use of diesel additives. The Fiat India site makes no mention of it, I checked the OM and found nothing there either. The Tata motors site mentions System D, Bardahl and another brand, but specifies that these are not for use in Fiat or DICOR engines.

The only brand I found in Hyderabad is made by an American company called ABRO, it cost Rs. 190/- for a 350ml bottle, which is to be emptied into a full tank of diesel and driven until the fuel is almost used up before filling in some more. I bought a bottle but I'm holding back on using it until I get some sort of confirmation.

Please chip in with your inputs!
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

I've also heard a lot about system D..
    never used because of the same concern you're having.
    Also I've read that Hi-speed diesel will also remove the HC deposits if added once in 3-4months ..
    I'm also interested in this post guys
  3. Tron

Tron Superiore

@airfoil, don't worry much about it. What i'll suggest is FOR ONCE(at your own risk though!) use a tank full of primium Diesel like Turbojet, Hi-Speed etc. As these diesels are nothing but filled with addetives.
    Also you can do an engine oil change by putting some flush in it.

Im personally not happy with FIATs 15k kms oil change interval. So im following 7500kms interval. And with addition to that on same intervals only im using primium diesel.(Rest of the time plain diesel, highly recomended by FIAT.)

You can do these things for your MJD which are enough. Also keep in mind every time when you change the engine oil, also put new oil filter.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

FIAT explicitly bans the use of any additive added diesel and recommend only normal diesel. 20,000km's is too less to think about any preventive maintenance. Rest assured, the expensive diesel filter is upto the job. These additives are more like placebos.

It'll be better if you avoid it and try and fill up from a reputed bunk as far as possible.

5. Tron

Tron Superiore

guru pajji, one question here though.
    Once in a while filling primium diesel will also affect?? Last time i did it when car reached 21k kms mark, otherwise i keep using plain diesel.
    Or such measures are not needed for our MJDs??
    Will you throw some light on it??
  6. I would recommend filling normal Diesel at COCO pumps only, and if you are predominantly city driver , take the car spin in the weekends at above 2000 RPM.
    This will keep the car healthy, I have used System G, i noticed car become a touch smoother and better to accelerate.
    but i don't know what it does to make the car smoother. even now i use once in 5 tank fills for just about 5-10 ml max.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

I don't know any coco bunks in bangalore
    It would be really helpful If I can get a list of
    BP COCO bunks ..
    I live close to Mysore rd
  8. I am not sure of nay Coco pumps near mysore road
    here are list of Pumps where i visit
    1) HP petrol Pump infront of LRDE in CV raman nagar
    2) BP petrol Pump near to IBM in Bannerugatta main road
    3) IOC pump just before the BTM-bannerugatta fly over on the left hand side if you going to towards jaya nagar
    4) Cauvery petol pump although not an COC pump ower seems to be honest man.

Barring this I donot know any other COCO pumps , when I had to fill fuel in other than these Pumps , I feel more soot is getting produced due to adulteration and cat con block it self partially and engine feels harsher.
    This is just my opinion i could be wrong though.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

thanks for you're reply.. But unfortunately all these bunks are very far from my place.
    I mean considering blr traffic, my half tank of fuel would be done with even before i reach home after a refill :)

Any place you know near.
    1.) thygaraj nagar
    2.) Banashankri
    3.) kattrigupe ring road

Any of these places would be really helpful
    Also is there a way i can check if my bunk is a COCO ?
  10. I don't think there any coco pumps in those areas, in coco pumps once you fill fuel card transaction would mention coco pump or just the BPCL or HPCL or IOCL.