1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Die Hard FIAT Fan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dexterthegenius, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Hi Everyone. I came across this forum today and instantly registerd. Anything specific to FIAT, I don't leave an opportunity.

I am a die hard fan of FIAT since ages now. My First car was a FIAT UNO 1.7. Though I get nostalgic when I talk about her, I will still briefly cover my decision to go with FIAT for the first time.

My father used to drive our good ol' Permier Padmini (FIAT 1100), 1979 model. When I started to look out for a car, with a limited budget, everyone I knew insisted that I buy a Maruti 800. There was hardly any other option. At the same time, PALIO was launched and I went to the South Extention showroom to test drive 1.6 GTX. At the same time, I was intrigued by the not so "COOL" looking UNO standing there waiting for someone to take a look at it. The sales person was actually SHOCKED when I asked for a test drive. The moment I rolled the keys, I fell in love with it. It was a 1.7 diesel and I just loved the way it moved around and handled corners. Though my friend went on to buy the GTX, I didn't have enough moolah to buy the new UNO. What transpired over next 3 months with a fellow fan and a great friend was a frantic search for a used 1.7. I finally managed to get hold of one in East of Kailash and wow was it a beauty. At 2.25 Lac, it sounded pricy to me, but i was in love with it and you can't really put a price to it then.

It had done 42K when I bought it, under severe resistance from everyone I knew including family. But what an experience. I don't think I will ever be able to pen down my thoughts about the experience. I drove it for 5 years and finally had to part ways due to excessive shortage of electrical parts. I actually waited for 1.5 years to get a wiring harness replacement and finally gave away any hope of getting it. I drove it for 128k before letting it part. I actually fainted when I saw the buyer driving it away and was hospitalized for a few days, REALLY, my friends still tease me for it. I still rememer the day.... Valentine's day 2007, when we parted. I know I can go on and on.. but pointing out some of the key experiences with it:

1. Awesome seating arrangement and very very comfortable. My mom though that Maruti Zen would have been a better choice until she got an opportunity to sit in it.
    2. Crazy amount of boot space. It could just eat up my entire family luggage and still keep on smiling at us as if it was challenging us to fill it up.
    3. No matter what the condition or how badly I drove it, It would still yield a phenomial fuel efficiency of 17KMPL in city.
    4. Unparallelled Aircon. The first time I got the a/c unit serviced, the sheer size and number of coils in it was scary. It could cool the entire cabin in extreme summers of Delhi in 15 minutes flat.
    5. Though the acceleration was not up to the mark, the top speed was not an issue at all. I matched up an Opel Astra Club at speeds exceeding 140KMPH on a highway. It just wouldn't give away its breath and gave hefty challenge to the Opel guy.
    6. Once you stop the car, if the engine is heated, the cooling fan will continue to run, even after you lock the car until it reaches a reasonable temperature.
    7. The car did not have electronic locking mechanism, but you couldn't lock yourself out, unless you are dumb enough to lock the front door with a key and keep the key on the seat and lock all other doors. I know coz i did manage to lock myself out.
    8. The power steering was nothing short of precise and accurate. The car will go where you want it to go without any fuss.
    9. With broader tires, it was a smooth sailing, despite the pot holed roads. Awesome suspension.
    10. The hydraulic clutch was another advantage. Its a self adjustment type with a failover backup cylinder as well. Just too much for FIAT service centres to hadle though.

well.. Like i said, I could go on and on. Then I went for a Swift DDIS 1.3, under pressure of course. I wanted to go for a Fiat product again but this time slipped under pressure. Though the engine is great, but I there were still elements that I missed from my UNO. Then came the time to go for a second car. I took my wife and my mom to a Tata Fiat dealership to see the Manza. Deep down inside I wished that the fall in love with a Linea though. Guess what, so many years of praising FIAT finally paid off. Both of them fell in love with Linea. I could see their jaws drop when they sat in the car.

Result: I am now a proud possessor of my own Italiano Chick.. my White Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pack Linea. I have driven it for over 9500 KMS between Noida and Gurgaon and I love every second I spend with her. She is fun to drive and I am loving it. :car

I would love to connect with folks who still drive the UNO and since i am crazy about FIAT, it made sense to me to join this forum. Its nice to be around in a FIAT community.
  2. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

welcome aboard FIAT fanatic. great to hear the story about your Uno. please start an ownsership thread for your Linea
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Dexter :) welcome to TFI. Post ownership experience and some photos of your car.
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Welcome to TFI and that was a very well written intro,congratulations.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome to TFI. ::T I hope you find the information on this site useful.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    welcome to the club Dexter :clap
    It seems you have spend a memorable time with UNO, do post some pictures of the TANK (UNO),version
    My friend had the Uno, it was the Jubilee version, call Uno jubilee. We used to go places in it 5 of us, but never had any issue. Would love to see the pictures of UNO.
    Hw is ur Punto doing :car
  7. sindu2000

Hey Dexter

Welcome to the family of all Die Hard Fans of FIAT.

Welcome to Team TFI.

Pics pls......
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Warm welcome to you and your Linea, dexterthegenius. Happy and safe driving in your Linea.