1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Did you face(d) issue with stock FIAT alloy - bend/crack?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by gvm, Jun 18, 2011.

Did you face(d) issue with stock FIAT alloy - bend/crack?

1. Yes, I am facing issue with stock alloy

2. No, I am not facing any issue with stock alloy

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I see many fellow members reporting issue(s) with stock alloy from FIAT. The numbers indicate serious quality issue from FIAT. Myself is facing alloy bend issue and FIAT rejected my claim stating rough use on bad roads! Hope to get a picture on how wide spread this issue is.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Had an alloy bent from inside. Got it repaired from an reputed shop and it has been working fine since (this was close to an year and 20k kms ago).
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

I voted for 'Yes' as two of my Linea's alloys got bent. However, FIAT India was kind enough to get them replaced at 50% warranty. I am thankful for <a href="http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?116-MY-FABULOUS-FIAT-LINEA&p=45661&viewfull=1#post45661"_blank">FIAT India's goodwill gesture.</a> :)

4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    No offense guys, but I don't think this Poll holds any importance. I have seen people abusing their FIATs very harshly over bad roads. My apologies but even public transport guys slow down over such roads.

Now, if somebody abuses the car over bad roads and then lands up in this poll with a bent alloy, would he admit that he wasn't kind enough to his car?
    This thread will only put blame on Fiat alloys while the driver moves scot free.

gvm, I hope you don't mind this post of mine. I am talking about my recent experience diring TFI Anniversary meet at Chail. Open the Chail meet thread and you will find people gracefully talking about drifting on all 4 wheels at a speed of 70-90kmph in extreme curves.

Would I be surprised if the suspension goes kaput in any of those cars at 25-30k Kms or if the tyres wear out at 20-25k kms? No.

This poll shall be accurate only if all the cars were driven with the motto "Drive it like you own it".
  5. maverick

maverick Amatore

My Punto EPack is hardly 2 months old, last Friday while driving from Trivandrum to Cochin, my car hit a pothole in the Changnassery - Alleppy stretch. Sad to say that the front right tyre got punctured. Next day while checking the rim it was bent from inside. I was not driving very fast (RPM < 1.5K) since I was about to take a break. My friend who was following me in a SX4 VDi hit the same pothole 5 minutes later and nothing happened to the tyre or the alloy.

I think Fiat OEM alloys are very soft and not suited for Indian roads or the OEM tyre Apollo Acelere (195, 60, R15) is pathetic. Fiat has not done enough R&D while using the alloys imported from Brazil.

6. No bad feelings on your post. Agree that there might be guys punishing their cars to have fun and all cases might not be genuine. Say, to a extreme ratio 10:0.5. From many posts (including posts on other forum) I gather there is a genuine quality issue with FIAT stock alloy. One of the service personal at FIAT centre was also saying on same line on FIAT's alloy with many cases reported.

Swift is one of the extensively modified/tuned vehicle that was ever launched in India and I believe that even common guys take things to extreme with Swift. Read many posts on Swift and no report (or rare if have missed noticing) seen on alloy issue! I have used my dad's swift for 3 years in similar fashion as I use my Punto and never faced such issue.

[FIAT Punto Emotion Pack - Done 28,850Kms]
  7. my wheel got bent due to my negligence. hit a stone when was tailing a truck at night..
    my fault.

swift owners mod them but dont drive like many FIATians do. they are scared to take the car to the limits i guess..
    you also know i has some pics of the bent alloy in the other thread you started.
    the wheel alloy might be a little soft but not that soft like sponge to bend if driven normally.

get that fixed sooner. the more you drive with that bend it will become bigger..
    go to those tyre threwing centers in the city. they might be of some help..
  8. maverick

maverick Amatore

Planning to claim insurance and get a new alloy wheel and tyre, my car is just a month old and I do not want to run around with a bent alloy. Currently using the spare tyre. I have send a mail to Fiat today, for the time being waiting for the response from them.
  9. May I know what speed you were driving when this happened?

I would differ on this. FIAT has more stability and control but I consider FIAT most drivers as matured who respect the road and driving

I managed to get a snap of one alloy - the bend is not severe when looked at the image but it causes serious drivability. The video is taken by rotating the tyre by hand, imagine the affect at speed

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I agree with PaddleShifter on the futility of this poll and thread , however , i appeal all TFIans to restrict their contributions in this thread to ->

Whether they have faced an issue with the stock alloys or not ; if yes , then please list the circumstances (if any) which led to the issue with the alloys.

The discussion about the alleged poor quality of these alloys etc can be continued in other threads.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011