Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by speedJet, Oct 15, 2011.
Till now the intentions do not seem to be good, hence I am afraid to hand over the recipt
Amardeep, first of all, it's quite sad to read about your predicament. Such things shouldn't happen to anyone. It's important for you to get out of this mess asap and get these monkeys (dealers) off your back.
Now assuming you've paid by cheque in the first place, everything's already documented. I don't think they can deny payment being made even if you surrender the receipt. You can always produce a bank statement which will stand scrutiny in any court of law. Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's no case for denial here.
At this point, you don't seem to have any other option except handing over the original receipt since they insist on it. Like Rana mentioned, get them to acknowledge this on a photocopy duly stamped and dated and all should be fine.
It could be their policy to issue any refund against the original invoice. Perhaps this is the case... alternatively, it could just be delaying tactics to get back at you.
Any which way, you will have to call their bluff. Atleast you'll know where you stand and you can plan your next recourse. By not complying, you could be indirectly playing into their hands and prolonging your saga.
Amardeep, I also went through the process of cancellation of the booking with one dealership (for very different reasons).
The prudent process is that you submit the cancellation letter with the original receipt, and they give you a signed and stamped xerox of them acknowledging that they have received it. This is sufficient proof from your side that you have submitted the cancellation request. As others have suggested, since you made the payment by cheque, you already have a proof of payment (I had paid cash). Till they produce a document signed by you, they cannot say that you have accepted the refund.
I understand you worry courtesy your till date experience with them, but I don't think the finance dept will process the request without the original request. So go ahead and submit it.
I decided to submit the original based on my discussion with Tata RSM and Fiat. I called up the GM Sales today and told him that I would need a stamped acknowledgement and also a time within which I shall get my cheque. He was non-committal on either of this and hung up. Anyways I will try again tomorrow
Abk, when you say a stamped xerox what exactly do you mean (its kind of silly question but just to be safe)?:
- a stamp paper with xerox of the receipt OR
- xerox with the dealer rubber stamp on it OR
- xerox on dealer letter head with rubber stamp on it
He meant a dealer rubber stamp. My point as i messaged you is that - where is he committing that he will refund you the full amount? Is he giving it in writing? What will you do if he gets your receipt; gives you a refund of 20K telling the rest is for cancellation charges?
You are right when you say what prevents him from cutting the amount without any written comittment. Refund amount is something that shall have to be taken in writing.
Visited the dealership today along with my wife. The Tata RSM was also present. Discussed following options:
- Requested the GM to keep the xerox. Told him that I shall give original when he gives cheque. (He said not possible to refund with xerox, return the original)
- Requested him to send an email mentioning that he shall keep the original receipt and give the cheque after few days (he declined again saying that I am talking like an advocate and it is just a normal booking cancellation which they deal everyday)
He said that he is ready to give me dealership stamp and his sign mentioning that I have surrendered the original. I asked him to include the date and amount as well. He is saying it would take around a week for the cheque and he can write the refund amount only on the 30th/1st. I will talk with him again in a couple of days
Amardeep, just to give an analogy : I recently had a problem with my Hush Puppies shoes and I needed replacement. When I went to the store, they asked me to produce the original sales invoice in order to process returns/refunds.
Of course you would need to give the original back to me, as I have already stated in my earlier posts. For your safety, you can take a xerox and keep. While submitting the letter, take a xerox of that as well and get both the xerox's stamped/signed by the dealer. Simple na?
Heck even in court of law, xerox is perfectly admissible evidence yaar. After all, it's a copy of the *original* document na? Then why are you thinking so much over such a minor procedural issue?
Nishant, any organization has its rules documented - be it cancellation procedure or cancellation charges. In this case, there is no documentation and everything said verbally is supposed to be a rule (neither procedure nor charges are documented). For me after my experience (yes there is more to it than written over here), I am only trying to be careful as proceeding without any formal documentation has its risk associated.
I had spoken to the dealer last week and he was not willing to give a receipt and just hung up the phone while I was talking with him. I had to take help from Fiat and Tata to get the dealer to agree to give a receipt. I shall hand over the original receipt to him with the refund amount mentioned on the xerox receipt.
So, finally what have you decided on the car? Are you going to wait till Jan'12 and book a T-Jet again?
If I were you, I would have bought an ANHC by now .
Separate names with a comma.