1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Desi FIAT goes INTERNATIONAL

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by wolverine_arnab, Feb 14, 2013.

1. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Arnab. Wow! This is an amazing endurance drive!!! Hats off!!! :wow The dusty pic of your beast tells it all

2. I had two options of going from Bangalore to Bihar,the first being through NH-7,and the other being through GQ(kolkata).
    Having done the Bangalore-Kolkata route atleast 9 times,its very predictable and no more interesting.And the route through Nagpur was new for me,I knew it was bad at stretches,but never in my wildest dreams did I think that it would be bad at almost all stretches.:eek::A

- - - Merged Post - - -

It was very good,I thought of driving till Varanasi,but other passengers in the car were too tired to take it any more...
    1 person likes this.
  3. <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.co.in/maps?hl=en&amp;safe=off&amp;q=bangalore+to+ekma&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;saddr=bangalore&amp;daddr=ekma&amp;geocode=FU_uxQAdw_-fBCltTrTJcBauOzHgT35R6MPf-A%3BFXUgjAEdMeoJBSkHC4f-QuuSOTG3MM2mHqMivw&amp;ll=19.466561,81.085395&amp;spn=12.989422,7.009516&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.co.in/maps?hl=en&amp;safe=off&amp;q=bangalore+to+ekma&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;saddr=bangalore&amp;daddr=ekma&amp;geocode=FU_uxQAdw_-fBCltTrTJcBauOzHgT35R6MPf-A%3BFXUgjAEdMeoJBSkHC4f-QuuSOTG3MM2mHqMivw&amp;ll=19.466561,81.085395&amp;spn=12.989422,7.009516&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
    The route taken from Bangalore to Ekma,bihar.

Day 4(2/2/2013)Bihar,Ekma:Woke up late,almost the whole morning was spent meeting all the people who came to the wedding.It was really a very new experience for us attending Tilak ceremony,really enjoyed all of this which was new to us..:ugeek:
    Had an early dinner as we had to wake up early morning as we had a big day ahead.

10.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    10 people like this.
  4. saurav

saurav Amatore

Hey Arnab,

That's one hell of a road to drive on. I had done the same stretch in Oct'11. The Jabalpur - Rewa section is terrible like hell. Non-existent roads & majorly truck traffic.

By the time I had left Jabalpur it was almost 4.30pm and we had decided we would halt somewhere after Rewa. As soon as we moved out of Jabalpur, the road condition detoriated and after a few kms was like hell till Maihar. After Maihar, it was still driveable. The distance of approx 150kms till Maihar looked like eternity. By the time I reached Rewa it was 2am. Checked into the 1st hotel that was available. Started off a little late around 9.30am from Rewa and were in Patna at 6pm.

Btw, what is the "international" angle to the trip. Did u visit Nepal?
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hay Arnab nice write up and great photos.

Looks at that photo, people are clicking photos with your Punto :evilsmile:cool: Even I experienced this in my native place and yes that was wonderful experience.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Day 5:3/02/2013(Bihar-Raxaul-Hetauda-Kathmandu)

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.jpg
    14.jpg
    15.jpg
    16.jpg
    17.jpg
    18.jpg
    19.jpg
    20.jpg

to be contd..
    6 people like this.
  7. Day 5:3/02/2013(Bihar-Raxaul-Hetauda-Kathmandu)

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=ekma&amp;daddr=kathmandu&amp;geocode=FXUgjAEdMeoJBSkHC4f-QuuSOTG3MM2mHqMivw%3BFSCrpgEdVRUWBSm_qnswihnrOTHqsY3xG3wTtQ&amp;aq=&amp;sll=27.544806,85.098724&amp;sspn=0.647775,1.352692&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=ls&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;ll=26.825142,84.931449&amp;spn=1.749813,0.80374&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.co.in/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=ekma&amp;daddr=kathmandu&amp;geocode=FXUgjAEdMeoJBSkHC4f-QuuSOTG3MM2mHqMivw%3BFSCrpgEdVRUWBSm_qnswihnrOTHqsY3xG3wTtQ&amp;aq=&amp;sll=27.544806,85.098724&amp;sspn=0.647775,1.352692&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=ls&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;ll=26.825142,84.931449&amp;spn=1.749813,0.80374" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
    Moved out from Bihar at 6am after having the morning cuppa,we hardly had to cover 320-340 kms today.So was very optimistic about reaching Nepal by afternoon.

In this trip there wasnt a day where we didnt drive on 'no roads',and whichever places we visited were troubled by no/very frequent power cuts,had to keep the car on for hours to charge the camera.As soon as we got on the highway,driving on no roads started,and we reached Raxaul(India-Nepal border) by 11:30am.

Raxaul,is on the India side and is the worst road to travel on,driving through roads filled with tongas ferrying passengers from India to Nepal and vice-versa.

We didnt have any problem crossing the Indian border and getting inside Birgunj,Nepal.We were stopped by the Army in Nepal,we had to park the car in one side and get all the formalities done.Which I will describe in my next post.

Got some cash converted at the border itself(Rs 1=1.6 NPR)

After crossing Birgunj we stopped at Hetauda for quick Nepali Set Thali,price was pretty cheap@480NPR for two.(Awesome food to be precise).

There are three routes of reaching Kathmandu from hetauda,one is through Bharatpur which is approx 280 Kms long(The best),the second one is 120 kms long through Daman,and the third is through Dhapakhel 80 kms(this was very steep and only cars could go in this route).

We took the second route,thinking it wont be that bad.But driving for some 10 kms on this road I had to accept that I took a very bad decision by choosing this route.The road was wide enough to pass two cars simultaneously,but was very steep and at times while climbing we had to move down to allow trucks or buses descending from the hill.

We reached Kathmandu at 5:30,the journey was very very tiring.Our plan was to stay at Park Village resort at Nagarkot,this is the best place to be if you want to see Mount Everest Peaks,but it is 38 kms away from Kathmandu,and driving on the same winding roads was a nightmare.

So changed our plan and chose to stay at Thamel,busiest place in Kathmandu,and best place to shop(shoppers paradise)
    As we had very less days on our hand so we thought we will do the local sight seeings and just do some shopping,and come back in the future.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    7 people like this.
  8. raj29

raj29 Superiore

So there come the international angle to the Desi ride :)

Those are some spectacular sights of the Punto draped in mud, again!! :rolleyes: Dangerous roads ahead, looks like the roads are in repair or are they making a new road?
    What a comment on the truck :evilsmile
    1 person likes this.
  9. Most of the roads are old and broken, at some places patch work was done and at most places it was left as it is..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow, so you made it to Nepal.
    Roads seems pathetic, but I know with few years all these roads are going to be in great condition.