1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Desi FIAT goes INTERNATIONAL

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by wolverine_arnab, Feb 14, 2013.

1. We came back from kolkata on 25th jan itself and were supposed to be travelling to goa with Mr.Rajan & family,but due to my Mrs falling ill suddenly we couldnt make the trip.But what worried me the most is we were supposed to leave for Bihar,chhapda on 29th jan,late evening and if she doesnt get better soon we had to cancel that plan as well,I was not worried to cancel the plan but bhaiya&bhavi(it is their family wedding) who were going to Bihar with us will have to cancel their plan as well for us.My wife was very sure that she will be fine before our scheduled date of journey and by grace of god she did get better.
    So as per plan our journey to bihar was on.Got the wheel alignment,balancing and rotation done on the 29th morning(I know should have done it earlier),borrowed stepney from Mr.Rajan,fed fuel to the car to the brim and was all ready to go,umm wait I forgot to pack my bags,which me and wife completed by evening.Wanted to take rest in the afternoon which I couldnt,thought nicotine will keep me up awake for the night atleast and wifey can take over the wheels for a short while during the day.

DAY 1,29th jan,9:30pm(Bangalore-HYD-NAGPUR,bypassed-RAMTEK);1162 odd kms

Everything till now went as per plan,thank god.Picked up the other passengers,and left for HYD our first destination(heard about some riots and stuffs going on there so wanted to cross it before midnight.)We crossed HYD by 4:20am by taking the outer ring road,man I was dead sleepy driving on this suppper straight road,was praying for it to end,its really too boring
    Just after we crossed Hyd,stopped for breakfast after hitting the highway again.
    Next destination was nagpur before lunch,which was delayed due various unknown reasons,and maybe my wife driving at speeds south of 80kmph and me sleeping like a log.
    Had lunch some 100 kms before nagpur,and again wasted 1&1/2 hours.Crossed nagpur by 3:30pm,and took the nagpur bypass by asking some truck drivers.
    I thought of driving to jabalpur and taking a halt there,but decided against it and stayed at ramtek some 80 odd kms from nagpur.
    Now Ramtek is not a place to be with family,but was to tired to drive to jabalpur.Got into a roadside hotel,looked decent from outside,nothing much to speak of rooms,except had a LCD of 32" which looked really very much out of place considering the condition of the room.
    We had a quick dinner by 7pm,and went to sleep.But after a few hours into the night our sleep was disturbed with constant banging of our next room door,and all such creepy noises:evil:.I was unable to sleep in this kind of environment anymore,so decided to move out as quickly as possible.
    3 people like this.
  2. Day2:31/01/13(Ramtek-Jabalpur-Rewa)460kms

We moved out from our hotel at 2am.Felt very relived after having moved out from the hotel,but the roads started getting worse,was driving at 60kmph,but suddenly there was a deep pot hole and my front right tyre landed in that crater,and we continued for about 100 m and the steering started feeling heavy,parked my car on the side of the road and moved out to check the issue.

Found there was a puncture on the front right tyre,quickly changed the tyre(thank god I borrowed the stepney from Mr.Rajan),wasted quiet a bit of time it being soo dark and loading and unloading the luggages made it worse.By 3 am we were ready to go,but the road started getting worse so wanted to get the tyre repaired as soon as possible.After 15 kms got a local tyre repair shop open adjoined to a big tea stall.So again the after the long task of unloading the boot,got the stepney out.On closer inspection we found that there is no puncture in the tyre,but a sidewall cut.The guys had a really tough time in removing the alloy,I wanted them to put a tube but they didnt have the required size.He suggested me to put a patch,I was ok with the idea as long as the problem is solved.

After putting the patch they again had to fight to put the tyre back into the alloy.They filled the tyre and there was a constant hissing noise it was not holding the air,again he inspected tyre and said there is another sidewall cut,I was frustated to the extreme and said enough guys just put the tyre back in my boot I will put a tube and run it.

We moved out from there by 4:30am,the roads didnt get better,and by 7:30 am we got on the proper highway(or so we thought),we got into a nice dhaba to have tea and ended up having heavy breakfast inspite of not being hungry,the food was really tasty.:-D

Jabalpur was 80-90 kms away and I wanted to go there and atleast get the tyre repaired or if required get another tyre.The roads were not that bad,and by 9am we were near jabalpur,my wife in the meantime got hold of apollo distributor in jabalpur(google makes it really so simple),and they were very very helpful and said us to come as they will help us in whatever way they can.

Got into Jabalpur city,we had hard time locating the distributor in the city.The apollo distributor suggested us they will get the tyre checked by their engineer and if possible get it replaced under manufacturing defects.After some close inspection for 10-15 mins the engineer said there is nothing wrong with the tyre,and the puncture repairing guy has put a patch at the wrong place and there is only one side wall cut.

So I asked him what was his suggestion,he said I can put another patch but the tyre will make my car wobble a lot,or go for a new tyre.Obviously didnt want to take any more chances and said what was the best deal they could give,he said he can give for 4.9k including my tyre as exchange,my wife negotiated a very very sweet deal,finally got a new tyre @4.2k(I seriously cant believe how my wife did that)and above that she asked for tyre balancing,alignment included in that price and they gave us a tyre shop number where we got it balanced,my wife again spoke to the dealer and got 200 Rs cash back as we didnt take the alignment.(WOW got the apollo accelere at 4.1K)

We got on the highway by 12:30pm,as soon as I got the highway the roads vanished(I was shocked thinking maybe I took some wrong turn and entered a field or something),inspite of my gps saying we are on National highway I confirmed with many truckers that this is the road.Some said this is only for some 40 kms after that it will be better.I was very optimistic,and concentrated hard and drove for 50 kms and roads got worse,again enquired from truck drivers they said it will get better by another 40 kms.

I was very stressed by driving in 1st and 2nd gear for 100kms,it took almost 4hrs without any break.Our initial plan of reaching varanasi on the same day was a distant dream,and I didnt want my wife to drive on that road either.

The roads never got better,there was no roads at all.And within no time it was dark,and it was really very difficult to drive on that road with my OEM headlights,and there wasnt a single place where my car's underbody didnt scrap the pothols.
    By 9:30 we reached Rewa,and enquired in a toll for some nearby hotels,and after searching for some time we found a nice hotel fitting our budget and checked in.

Misc pics of day 2 of our journey.

6.jpg

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    7 people like this.
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Arnab, great going. Am eagerly looking forward to the remianing part of the travellogue.
    Expecting from the title that the Desi Punto went to Nepal!!

First day really is a very long drive, should commend your stamina for the drive although Bangalore --> Hyderabad --> Nizamabad is a very good road it must be boaring as there is minimal traffic and smooth tarmac.

Appolo accelera is a tough tyre and this have a cut surely mean a harsh hit.
    By the way, why did you borrow spare tyre from Rajan? What happened to your spare tyre (did i miss something)?

Really pathetic roads, as you rightly said there is no raod at all :(
    1 person likes this.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Oh, he has a Punto 90 HP which came with 165/80 R14 spare.
    Since my spare was 195/60 R15, albeit on steel rims, I recommended Arnab take it, as he was going on an almost 6 K Kms round trip. I am glad he did :D

Rajan
    4 people like this.
  5. bluepunter

bluepunter Amatore

Bangalore
    Good going buddy. really appreciate your patience to drive 100kms in 1st & 2nd gear & that too for a whopping 4 hours:eek:.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Well before the start of this trip I promised myself I would never push myself to drive at night,max would be 7pm..But there was not a single day I didnt drive at night(that also with the excellent OEM bulbs),for once I thought maybe my maglite had more light throw than my headlight:shocked:A

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks @bluepunter..

- - - Merged Post - - -

@raj,thanks buddy...The roads were too good,the toll booths kept coming every 50kms so that kept me quiet a bit alert:evilsmile
    But was really was dead bored with the extremely good Nehru ORR which I took to bypass Hyd,those 30-40 odd kms looked like 1000 kms,and I prayed for this to end,and god blessed me to travel through no roads(well almost) till my trip ended:evil:

Roads dont exist in MP(atleast on which I travelled),we vowed to never come back to MP in our punto,maybe JEEP from FIAT will be ideal for such offroading tarmac:cool:

Thank god I borrowed the tyre from Mr.Rajan,I drove atleast 200 kms on them..Thanks to Mr.Rajan for being gracious enough to lend them to me.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Day 3:1/01/2013(Rewa-Varanasi-Buxar-Baliya-Ekma)

We moved out at 8:30am leisurely,didnt want to rush out today early morning thinking we will be
    anyways reaching by evening to our destination.

Roads from Rewa were somewhat driveable,but as soon as the MP-UP border came roads vanished and we had to
    to drive through ghat section,were there was a huge traffic jam.The reason for the jam being a pickup trick with a
    broken axle and almost some 20m ahead a big truck overloaded had engine breakdown,and people just overtook and made the situation worse.
    We wasted almost close to 3hrs in that jam.

After crossing the border and getting up on the highway we stopped for brunch,food was not good at all.But with our stomachs filled we were charged
    up for the rest of the trip(or so I thought).

Roads till varanasi were ok,we reached varanasi by 5:30pm.We were misguided by our GPS(we didnt know that there were different places with the same name),we drove on Grand Trunk(NH-2)road for some 80 kms from there guided by some local people and our gps took deviation from sasaram.
    We reached chhapra by 8 pm,and expected bhaiya(our co-passenger being a native of this place)to guide us,he was confused as it was very very dark and all shops were closed.

We were totally lost but atlast guided by my mobiles GPS we reached our destination at 11:30pm.
    At last the first half of our journey was complete,and we were finally in Bihar.What a peaceful sleep I had that night that I postponed our plan to move out early next morning.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    4 people like this.
  8. raj29

raj29 Superiore

whoa, the 4th and 5th pic tell the story of what the Punto had to go through !!
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice details arnab.
    I am wondering, knowing this route is so bad, why did you take this route?
    3 people like this.
  10. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How are the road conditions between Satna & Rewa 50 kms stretch...