1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DELL studio 1558 experience

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by pdydeva, Nov 16, 2013.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

Dear fellow TFIans,

I'm starting this thread to get your opinion about my ownership experience of the DELL studio 1558 laptop.

Model: DELL Studio 1558
    Cost: 57,000 Indian rupees
    Configuration: Intel 1st gen Core i5 450M, Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit, 15.6" Full HD LED display, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD with Blu-ray drive, ATI radeon on board GPU with 1GB memory

This laptop was purchased 3 years ago (July 2010) keeping in mind that it shouldn't get outdated technology wise for the next 5 yrs. That expectation didn't last even 50%.

The laptop started giving issues in the middle of 2013 (1 year post warranty). It would randomly lose power and the situation got worse to the extent of not staying live for even 5 seconds from power ON. When searched in the internet, I have seen many users reporting the same issue (starting from 2010 - my bad I didn't check it :A ) occurring due to overheating of the laptop attributed to poor heat sink design.

Later in 2010, DELL acknowledged the issue and released a BIOS update wherein they let the heat sink fan work harder forever to keep the system cool. This update didn't help in the long run. Exactly after 3 years, many users have reported the same issue cropping up again with no further support from DELL as most of us are out of warranty with DELL stopping the model somewhere around 2011.

After posting this issue in DELL support website, as the laptop is out of warranty, customer care was there to just suggest running some diagnostics (which is impossible in my case as it doesn't power up) and advising me to clean the heat sink and fan on my own. Having gained some knowledge of assembling laptops in the beginning of my career, I carefully disassembled the laptop (following all ESD safety norms) and cleaned the heat sink and fan. Had to replace the heat sink paste to see if it would make a difference, but in vain.

The thread along with few others showed substantial number of complaints to argue with DELL regarding a faulty design. But, they carefully washed hands saying the laptop is out of warranty and the online complaints are bogus. They are happier to help me in replacing the total mother board and heat sink at a cost of around 12K (or more). But, I don't want to be stuck at the same situation after 2 years. So, demanded them to repair it for free or replace me a different model laptop (even at a cheaper price considering the depreciation). But, they were not ready for it and when I said I will have no other choice than seeking help from consumer court, they replied with the famous dialogue "See you in court" :eek:

I have contacted Akosha and now in my final stages of filing a complaint with consumer court. Many might think (just like I did) I'm on the weaker side until I came across this link Expiry of warranty no defence if product has inherent defect: Consumer forum - Indian Express and this link Guarantee vs. Warranty: The Difference | Consumer TadkaConsumer Tadka

Even while I'm writing this post, another user has posted that his laptop is having exact same issue after 3 years.

Expecting your kind suggestions/comments on the situation.

2. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

3. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

I have been hanging around (read wasting time) with Akosha for the past 2-3 months due to poor process. I had to escalate the delay to Akosha's CEO and then they assigned another person to handle my case with whom I had to struggle for a while again. IMO, if you are done with most of the escalations with the opponent, you can straight away approach consumer court, because Akosha does the same.

At last now, Akosha has given me the consumer court petition which I need to personally hand over to the consumer court in Bangalore and wait for the hearing date.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    This only confirms my doubts that many of these multinationals push leftovers and otherwise rejected faulty stuff, of low quality or faulty design here in India. This is not only dumping in India but dumping on Indians if you know what I mean. :punch

Hire the best people you can afford to advocate your case, go for online petition against these people, gather other evidence that may even remotely begin to support your case. Be well prepared with evidence. Goto local and national newspapers, do your bit to expose them till they solve your problem. Contact other consumer protection agencies at Government level if any.

Do Gandhigiri, that is your best recourse, do a dharna against these people.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

DELL has this reputation of pushing refurbished spares as new. This is said by people who work for DELL technical support only. :D

We have 3 Dell laptops in our family out of which 1 gave us issues. The one which was bought in the US is still going strong, 5 years old.