1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Deliberate Scratches on the Bonnet

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by brandnewpunter, Jun 23, 2014.

1. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai
    A bored soul scratched my bonnet. They are bit deeper then they look.

Any suggestions on how to rectify this?

jv4hSXN.jpg
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Those are deep I dont think a touch-up pen can help, but try it anyhow if you find a cheap one.

Anyways if you are not thinking of repainting the bonnet, get that touched up with paint/lacquer to prevent rusting.
    1 person likes this.
  3. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai
    Repainting the bonnet will be an expensive affair I guess. Will keep the thread updated, any suggestions in the meantime are appreciated.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Such souls are known as car washers in my place. :oops::firey

The scratches look deep enough to call for putty applications and metal work done. You will have to find out a garage who can do it cheaper than repainting the whole bonnet.
    1 person likes this.
  5. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai
    Haha. We pay them to scratch cars.

An approx estimate if possible so that I can know if folks at garage are bluffing.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    In Mumbai we have people who can do a complete overcoat of bonnet for 1/4th price of normal prices. Ofcourse, it involves sanding the whole top layer and laying an overcoat again. The filling is hardly a problem for these scratches. If there was a dent in bonnet then it turns out to be lot more work.
    1 person likes this.
  7. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai
    1/4th sounds Great! How do they do this? Usually are we being overcharged are these guys do some Jugaad.

There is no dent.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    They just use a small 100-200ml can of fresh paint from shop, there is mostly some cheap residual primer stacked away in their cupboards and some lacquer too. However for buffing and rotary polishing they could charge extra Rs. 500-600 for the panel. But that can be managed a day or two later.

So yes it's a jugaad or more of a compromise. The results are 8/10 and ordinarily it looks like a professional job to most people.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Most importantly a good no. of SCs even if they have paint booths dont activate the systems of exhaust or heating for small jobs. However, material compromises are negligible there.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  9. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai
    I once repaired a pretty big dent on Duster. The area just above headlights had 50% gone inside and I went to a local garage. I also went to a paint mixing shop, bought some paint which costed 300-500rs and gave to the garage. The removed the dent, used sand paper, applied primer and then the paint. It looked 95% similar to the original. The cost was 3500 including the paint. SC's quoted 1000-1500 more(not a significant difference) but went to the garage for personalised attention. Is this price good for a garage or could I have got it done cheaper? I know this is a difficult question without seeing the picture but they charged for 1 panel area.

The are which was dented is the one in the circle.

jgQmNay.jpg

Also any estimate for repairing the Punto scratch?
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It's a one person job and takes about 4-5hrs including breaks. Price could be about 2.5k including rotary polish of panel. I know there are people who do it for even less, but see to it that the guy who does it doesn't take it too reluctantly.
    1 person likes this.