1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Defensive Driving Techniques.

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by mescotc, Nov 9, 2010.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Very true. Driving slow, sudden braking are all typical cases of rear-ending. It irritates the cars coming behind and irritation or emotion affects concentration.

I also usually drive fast but safe (within control) and not reckless, as PatchyBoy said.
  2. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What will you do in cases like these? Its giving me shivers down the spine !!!
    Clear case of truck driver sleeping off !!
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For a rookie driver the advise is to keep the car on left track. Why? There don't be any space to the others to overtake from both side (in most of Indian cities this happens). So you will be concentrating on the right side and back. It helps to reduce accidents by other reckless drivers too.

If you feel there is a right junction (Road comes from right - Reverse Y junction) keep yourself on the marking of the lane (Lane separator marking) and keep a moderate speed. Just in 100 meters, give a honk. If you didn't get response again in 50 meters give another honk and slow down a bit. So that you can control even if there is any animal (including Social) comes from that side you can manage with brake.

When there is huge traffic and someone is trying to make to change the track you use (stick to left or right, don't try to go in middle) - Don't heed. You stick on your track. Just let the one who is trying to change your track to go forward in the track. The others may shout at you but it is safe to do. You will go with no tension as well with no scratches on the car.

Don't honk too much. This is not only distract the other drivers but your battery also will go down fast. Use indicators to change the tracks even if you are just overtaking the vehicle ahead of you. If you are driving windows down, use hand signals like Stop, Pass or Turn right in day time.

Not all the people in rural area is aware of highway rules and you cannot avoid the rural areas on the highways. So when you are nearing a village or a small town in the highway, instead of honking and riding in the high speed, reduce to 4th Gear (max 60 KM). This helps you to brake a bit better. Don't speed on the highways than 100-120 as you cannot avoid the cattle or any animals running and your braking will be smooth.

Here in India almost all are born as racers (they don't know that if the violations in the race will eliminate them from the race). So let them to race and you stick to your plan of driving. It is advised not to cross "60 KM" in city roads even if the road is clear. This is because now-a-days in metro cities or cosmopolitan cities and highways, they put a divider and grow trees on it. So the people crossing the road cannot be 100% visible and suddenly someone jumps in front of your car, you will be in trouble.

As well the law enforcement department heeds to the local stronghold. So be sure you are not pulling a fight with an offender always. He may be an ally of the local stronghold (any political or charge-sheeted). You just inform the cops and go with their advise. (This is a better defensive technique I learned.)

Don't mess with auto-rickshaw or cab drivers: drive very safe if there is a cab or auto-rickshaw driving in front of you. Because they always think that there is no vehicles behind them or the others should follow the rules of auto-rickshaw/cab driver. They stop suddenly, cut down to right or left or whatever they want to do they will do and if there is a mess they put the blame only on you. (Own experience; as I know a few authorities in Police by that time, I made those auto-rickshaw drivers to eat their words.)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Especially when you are driving in the NH7, hold your nerves to drive safe.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Avoid tail gateing and sudden braking

This one's may sound very basic or stupid but its important and life saver many times,

yesterday there was a road accident near Tumkur-Ediyur-kunigal Bypass NH47 at 9PM in which more than 9 vehicles were involved 2 Lorries, 1 Indica, 1 Swift, 1 Eecho, 2 Innovas, 1 Tempo traveller, many two wheelers , 4 people died on the spot and 9 were seriously injured reason given by the police was that the Lorry on the front was moving slowly and stopped suddenly on the middle of the road with abrupt braking followed by another lorry and series of vehicles coming at high speeds hitting the standing vehicle and ended up in wild Collision.
    Today morning there was another accident on Express way which blocked traffic for more than an hour where a Indigo cab, wagon R, Honda Brio were crushed on one another due to sudden braking ..

Its always a good practice to keep safe distance at both front and back of the vehicle and maintain constant speed never tail gate a vehicle and never apply brakes abruptly in the middle of the road always use indicators and reduce speed slowly and keep the vehicle to the left before going to halt..
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    My 2 cents on defensive driving.

1) Never drink and drive or drive under the influence of drugs because even though you try defensive mindset, you will never know when you would have turned offensive.
    2) Wear seat belts always. No matter if you are at 5 kmph or 150 kmph speeds, that is the best defense against devil, you could provide to yourself.
    3) When you are overtaking someone, avoid sarcastic smile or direct angry stare at him as that might kick his ego and make him come back at you.
    4) Anticipate and act. Its any day better than doing a root cause analysis on what went wrong.
    5) If it is 2 lane highway, stay on left and if it is 3 lane highway, stay on the middle lane and let other Schumi's fly with their full might on free lanes.
    6) Inner rear view mirror is not to comb your hair nor the ORVM's for the bikers and passerby's. Use all of them and if you see someone driving with closed ORVM's, honk to glory and you will realise that he is pissed off and then it is safe for you to pass.
    7) In rush hour traffic, following a car or a bus is safer than following the bikers or rick guys.
  6. santhukp

santhukp Amatore

Bangalore
    I think i can give some tips to Newbies beacuse i learned by driving in My newly bought punto..Bought my vehicle in banglore after two days i realised that it is suicidal to learn driving in Banglore traffic.so Taken my punto to Kerala(by my friends not me) for 3 months learned my basics from there and taken back my vehicle to bangalore by myself.

My tips for new persons on heavy traffic

Always give your full focus while driving(no cellphone while driving,no cigarates no music in loud noice and no chit chatts with other passenger).
    Always think like other drivers are idiots and arrogant(should be there in your mind) and they may cross the lines at anytime without any signs.

Before starting your journey find out how to reach your destination(check google map) i uses my favourate Nokia drive as my companion.But pls dont use it while driving you can give it your co passenger for instructions.This will help you in taking proper line while crossing the roads and signals.

If you want to change the line .please give the signals to other drivers(swicth the Indicator).
    Dont ever drive behind(near by) any Trucks or BMTP bus(in bangalore) they just dont care about others.They will squeeze you at any time.Avoid these people as soon as possible.(especially BMTPS).
    be carefull while overtake any other vehicles. you have to downshift your gear for quick acceleration (my punto 1.2 is not good in this case she is very lazy when i go for sudden overtakes when AC is on ).
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Ever since i started driving a Linea,i have been more cautious about someone rear ending me,due to good brakes in the fiat.
    I warn the traffic following me by flashing brake lights twice\thrice by pumping brake pedal,before going in for the final push of the brake pedal.
    The other day i had to brake hard,and a i20 had to make a sudden swerve to avoid running into me,i have been really careful about braking after that.Always look(if possible) in the RVM before braking hard.
    2 people like this.
  8. sabrina850

sabrina850 Timido

Pakistan
    defensive driving== watch out for the other guys you can`t tell what they are going to do next. some people run red lights..