1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Defensive Driving Techniques.

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by mescotc, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Very true ,very responsible & very defensive.... :)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
  3. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    A very nice thread! This way everyone can learn what is the best way to drive safely. Some of you have made very valid points. Here are my two cents
    - Wear seatbelts. In punto & Linea, its difficult escaping it because of the buzzer.
    - Use all the three mirrors.
    - Inspite of using all the three mirrors, there would still be a blind spot due to B & C pillars.
    - In punto & Linea, the A-pillar in front also creates a blind spot since the windscreen is more sliding than any other car. So in turns, I make it a point to shift my view to ensure, nothing is behind the A-pillar, especially at nights.
    - Since there is a blind spot, always give turn indicator & give a time lag (2-3 secs) before manouvering your turn. Incase, someone is on the way or a accident can happen, they will honk.
    - The turn indicators should be given even when you know there is no one behind you.
    - Always be on middle or left lane on highways. Rightmost lane should be only used on overtaking. Overtaking by left lane should be completely avoided but incase it cannot be & it is very important to overtake, overtake by leftlane with adequate warning to the vehicle in front. Overtaking by left is one of the causes for most of the accident. So if we leave the right lane free, overtaking can easily be done from the right lane.
    - In-non highway roads, follow the board just before the signal to stay in your correct lane. In Mumbai, there is an indicator just before the signal, indicating which lane to use for turns
    - If a lane needs to be change in a city or anywhere, change lane one by one. I've seen people change on a 3 lane road from rightmost lane to left most lane. One should first move from the right most lane to middle lane & then middle lane to left most lane by giving indicators.
    - If you see young children or animals near the roads, anticipate any adverse movement by them, so honk in advance. They might make a sudden move & come in your way.
    - Anticipate stops. So if you see a red signal ahead or a speed breaker ahead of you, start slowing down gradually so that the occupants in the car do not face any jerk. This way you will warn the vehicle behind you adequately. Honk only when required.
    - If on a no-divider road, do not use high beam when a on-coming vehcile is approaching. You can give dipper to the other driver to ask him to reduce the beam. This also ensures both of you are awake especially on long trips.
    - Punto & Linea drive great at high speeds. The feedback & the traction is great. However, please ensure that you stay in your lane while manouvering a turn. If you are not able to stay in your lane, you must reduce speed. I've seen people taking turns on expressway utilising all the 3 lanes. :eek:

- - - Merged Post - - -

- Always ensure that tail lights are working properly. In Punto & linea, the system would automatically warn you on the display, if any of the bulbs are fused.
    - If your car has airbags & you are in the car when it has been parked on the sides, ensure your electricals are switched on so that air bags are inflated in the event of collission from any oncoming vehicle.
    - Similarly if childrens are there in the front passenger seat, ensure that the pasenger airbags are switched off as airbags will hurt the child in case of inflation,
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    I had recently been to South Africa, where I had hired a Toyota Corolla for a self drive (Punto Evo was not available :( ). The traffic discipline was fantastic there.
    - People drive in lanes.
    - After overtaking, they shift to left lane. This was consistently followed even by truck drivers.
    - Whenever, I gave them a dipper at night, they repsonded.
    - If a vehicle is behind you, & it wants to overtake, they would give a dipper & incase you dont' respond, they would overtake from the left. (They would honk only when it's an accident situation)
    - In roundcircles, they will stop & let you pass. I & wife thought probably there is a signal due to which they are stopping :D. Later, we realised, it's a courtesy, which we also followed. In India, people assume that one need not stop in roundcircles (I'm thinking of Gol Daakkahan in Delhi)
    - For the lane to be followed, the roads were properly marked.
    - There ample signs on warnings & they were road employees standing with red flag to warn of on-going road work.
    - They maintain adequate distance between two vehicles.
    - Only one thing, I noticed that in most of the roads on the highway, there were no dividers. but they had installed those red radiums pathways on the road. Still if the vehicle went into the wrong lane, the car would vibrate.
    - There are speed cameras installed everywhere, so incase you violate, you get a notice at home.

Wish India would replicate this some day. If not the infrastructure, atleast we can follow the traffic discipline
    1 person likes this.
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    If India repluicate this some day... indian RTO will be the riched government organization due to fines and bribs.... :)
  6. shanmugam

shanmugam Amatore

Chennai

very nice tips, please do post some more tips which you learn
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Driving slow can also cause problems sometimes!
    I have experienced this many times both on highways as well as city and in last one week it happened twice:

while driving during peak office hours i escaped a hit on my punto just because i was driving fast! After going ahead, immediately i see the car cutting into my lane from behind! it would have hit my punto at the rear had i been little slow!
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That reminds me of a story. Two friends, one a very fast driver and the other very slow are travelling in the same car, driven by the slow driver at the moment. Crossing a village, a cyclist suddenly cuts in front of the car. The slow driver slams the brake and brings the car to a stop with safe distance. He then turns to his friend and remarks "See. Had you been driving, you would have been too fast to be able to stop without knocking that guy down", to which the fast driver responds " Had I been driving, we would have crossed this spot long before the cyclist decided to cut across" :D

On a serious note, had the car cut across any sooner, it would have still hit, no matter how fast you were going. Driving fast and driving safe are two different things. Driving fast is not necessarily always dangerous. Driving reckless is.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I second this opinion. Driving slow will not go well always. Many of the hits that is sufferered by my Linea was when I was driving slow. I would rather say that drive sensibly with the speed which is safe for all.

Disclaimer:- I haven't hit anyone when I drive fast. :)
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I also agree with shams and ramjn. Driving slow means more vehicles will overtake us. Driving very fast means we need to overtake many vehicles. Both are equally dangerous for me. Once we drive moderately faster within our safe limits it is much safer than going in very lower speeds.