1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Defensive Driving Techniques.

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by mescotc, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    There are some kind of more people who are on the bikes....
    If you want to take a left turn, obvious you will put your left indicator on.
    Now these inpatient riders, what they will do or think, as you have given a pass to them & they will overtake you from the left side.
    And if you didn't see the passing biker, the end result will be, jadu ki zappi...
    He will definitely broke your side view mirror or scratch your car.
    I am seeing these guys everyday. If you stopped & honk them then they will give you a look as nothing has happened & fly....(like they have to reach home due to loose motions....)

When ever you experience these extra ordinary activities from any one then just think about the advertisement from JK tyre i guess, the road of full of idiots.
    2 people like this.
  2. Well said Sham. Even I see many times on highway these Alto,Zen,Santro cruisig above 130kmpl. They try to make a competion with me. As I am scared about there breaking ability on high speeds, give them way and give them some satisfaction.:)
  3. KayGeeFIAT

KayGeeFIAT

Chennai
    I have driven a lot in US/Europe and ALWAYS checked for my blind spot while driving by turning around. The reason you cannot afford to check your blind spot in India is that the moment you take off your eyes from the front of the road- BAM a 2 wheeler or even worse a 4 wheeler or bus would have slipped into your front from left or right and be bang in front of you or worse side swiped you and there goes your brand new shiny car!
  4. saroshmk

saroshmk

Hyderabad
    I once saw a sticker at the back of a truck in the UK. Very sensible advise:

"CAUTION: If you can't see me in my mirror, I can't see you!"

I've always tied to use this tip while overtaking trucks. Check his side mirror to see whether his face is visible. That would mean he can see my car. Then indicate, honk and overtake after a few seconds. Its always good to assume that the guy could be tired and may be battling sleep.
    3 people like this.
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Why he has put this sticker? because he might have cleared the driving exam regularly which is mandatory in UK.
    We don't have such type of exams for getting a driving license as such... :)
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Truck drivers hate honking and sometimes turn you down when overtaking, use the dippers and ask them way they respond to that quickly and politely. Always maintain some buffer space between you and the vehicle you are overtaking in case to switch back for an oncoming vehicle also to see if there is space in front to easily check in to the left and proceed..
  7. Ahamed Beig

Ahamed Beig Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good info. Thankx.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I was fined for keeping my headlights on on a dull, dreary dusky evening with light drizzle! My experience is in the link below.

Fiat Grande Punto MJD Emotion PK.

Regarding, safe driving techniques, some that come to my mind and the ones that I always practice are:

- NEVER overtake on a curve or uphill. You never know what's coming from behind the curve.
    - I always notice that on twisty roads, driver's drift across 2 lanes. Always see this on the ghat section on the expressway and it irritates me to no end because I make sure my car never drift's across lanes even when I am driving the City with it's lifeless EPS and softish rear suspension. Result is we have to be extra careful on twisty's.
    - On the expressway a Alto was waiting to pay toll when a truck rammed it from behind killing it's occupants. Now I make sure to switch into the opposite lane if it's open to pay toll's. That's the only lane where I am sure a truck will not come!
    - Always switch on the headlights when it's dusky. Don't wait for it to get completely dark. Remember, lights are not just for you to see the road but also to make you visible to other road user's.
    - Last but a very important defensive driving technique: HONK LESS! Try it!
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    3 people like this.
  9. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    i didnt understand this.