1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Defensive Driving Techniques.

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by mescotc, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi,
    When driving in the busy traffic i have always noticed this happening several times in the past ..
    There is a goods tempo or goods rickshaw or some sort of slow moving vehicle in the front and behind lot of vehicles standing in the signal. As soon as the signal goes green there is a loud noise everywhere from behind and in front the rickshaw is slowly starting up and crawling to cross the signal without leaving way to the traffic. It almost losing up crossing the signal and stopping at the same place the only the tempo would have passed the signal. Sometimes in mirror its shocking to see vehicles almost touching my car or some sort of pushing vandalism happening. how to handle this..
  2. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Mumbai
    You have to see guess and judge try and level your car behind other cars and avoid ricks/goods carrier/trucks, other than that you really have no option.:hit
  3. Some useful tip1)whenever you are driving on highways and you are about to overtake trucks(small and mid) just honk once before proceeding to overtake.Most of the times the drivers doze off to sleep,or they change lane without any indication,need etc.the driver should hand signal you to pass most of the times,and incase he plans to cut through your route he will signal you to not overtake.This is very very helpful on highways full of trucks.2)when you are behind a large truck/carrier/container trucks just overtake them as they most of the times stick to left most lane and hardly will ever cross to other lanes as they are huge.3)when driving on highways aswell as in city use your indicators properly as action speaks more than words do,it shows other people of your intentions on the road.4)when on highway a faster vehicle tailgates you and cant overtake you because of other vehicles use your indicator(if he doesnt understand roll down the window and hand signal),and whenever you get chance give him way.This will avoid unnecessary panic.5)dont ever drive on highways at night which are unknown to you,or passes through forests etc.6)dont ever drink(alcohol) and drive.7)always wear seatbelts even if you are going just to the nearby atms.8)when driving at constant speed you will get sleepy,so a few overtaking/or a little rash driving will pump your adrenalin and you are good to go for an hour or two before sleep bothers you.9)chew on to something,or if you are a smoker a puff or two will help you combat your sleep.10)whenever you feel too sleepy just pullover on the side of the road(if possible truck lay bys)and take power nap,11)incase of emergency braking hold on to your steering tight so that you dont change lanes by panicing,and it brakes more efficiently.12)dont give lift to uunkown people on highway under any circumstances(few people might be genuine,but not all)13)always drive at speeds which you can control,or you think your car respects your command at that speed.14)on highways filling your car tyres at 1-2 psi of more air pressure than the normal reqd air pressure gives you smooth ride.15)always carry first-aid pack,fire extinguisher,jack,and few wrenches in your car.16)always on highways fill petrol/diesel from pumps which are busy and has buisness(small pumps are not trust worthy at all,they are known to mix fuels,have tampered meters specially in diesel.)And fill upto auto cut-off only(not upto the brim)17)on long highway trips(say more than 500 kms)whenever you are stopping for food or toilet,open the hood of your car and let it cool naturally.(dont pour water or anything)18)if you are checking engine oil levels,check it at cold start(dont check it at the middle of the trip.)19)on long trips carry atleast 15 lits of drinking water(on highways you will hardly get anything)20)whenever you are parking your car on a tight space get down and analyse and then proceed with parking.21)whenever you are parking your car on an inclined road,incase of steep inclination upwards park with engaging your car gear in front.And when parking on inclination downwards park with reverse gear.And then put a stone in front of your wheels just to give a little bit more safety.these are some of the points I could think of which does help in defensive driving.(few points maybe useless,but might be helpful for a few)
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    arnab,
    well said...
    +1,i have followed the same in my recent trip of rash driving...
  5. thanks,i personally like to it very often..but mileage is the only concern that stops me from doing it..::O
  6. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Give way if you see a Fortuner with any political party flag in your rear view mirror honking like crazy :X

Very common here in Chennai, People put up flag of the ruling party just because they have bought a BIG car and to skip paying tolls, Idiots!

These people have moved from Sumos/Safaris to Fortuners now. Don't know from where the hell they make so much money, and I doubt if any bank would even give them a loan.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    what i've seen so far is that truck drivers on the highways at least are the most sensible drivers .. Better than those idiots in small cars who think they are in a rally stage.
    These truckers are very polite and obedient as well.. Many times in ghats Ive seen that truckers even tell cars behind them to not overtake as there is oncoming traffic and once it passes they signal the pile up to overtake..
    Its only after driving on highways that my respect to these truckers have gone up...
    So far I've not faced any issues due to trucks..
    9 people like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    theblack,
    you are bang on target.
    i too have the same feeling especially the cars keep on honking the truck(10,16 wheelers) that too on a steep turn.driving the trucks are not so easy in the ghat sections especially when fullly loaded.
    One should wait for the truck to get cleared with the steep turn or wait for the signals from the driver.

i have very nice exprience of such kind off humble truck driver, it was forest area and on this road at a time only one vehicle on the road can move easily and comfortly ,one has to be off the road, if wants to overtake and with our punto with low GC its hard to overtake,it was the humour of the driver he took his truck(heavily loaded) beside and waived his hand to go ahead and i too waived a thank with hand and went-off.

Let respect trucks atleast in ghat sections.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yeah for all those nonsense being told about truckers i feel there are far more idiots in cars than there are in trucks..
    I mean you should see some of the maruthis and i20s zip past these trucks on the highways.. total IDIOTS..
    Its like these guys come to highways not to enjoy the drive but to make sure they create trouble for others... on one of my trips i saw a zen doing 130 and after i overtook him, hes trying with all might to somehow catchup with me. I don't know what he fancied, I just told myself "There goes another IDIOT" and reduced my speed and let him go .
    That damn car cannot even brake properly at such speeds and hes neglecting all safety concerns, hope he lives to drive another day
    1 person likes this.
  10. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +100, total morons on roads! With those crapy Maruti braking and skinny tires, I don understand what gives them confidence to drive at such speeds. After 120, all Maruti cars gives a shit scare! Such kind of people spoil the highway driving pleasure. As you have indicated, best is to avoid these Idiots!