1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Defensive Driving Techniques.

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by mescotc, Nov 9, 2010.

1. anicaution

anicaution Amatore

Kolhapur
    Half clutch gear shift; While changing or while releasing clutch.
    B'cause else it will wear out
  2. arulvr

arulvr Amatore

Bangalore
    Wat's that half-clutch gear shift? Ain't anything to do with half-clutch is a worst thing to do ?
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Atul,
    Half clutch should be avoided for extended life of Clutch and Gearbox. :helmet
    You can achieve a jerk less shift if you are shifting at proper speed(car & shifting).
    Remember that VIPs can manage a new car every year/month. ::D

--Rajeev
    1 person likes this.
  4. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    Rajeev
    I liked ur last sentence LoL !!!
    but jokes apart ,
    Till now in my life , I've not come across a perfect driver like him , that person is equally careful about road safety & about the car , During the journey he had given me some tips related how to increase car life for tyres , and other mech. parts.
    I think the techniques mastered by him ( in 29 yrs. ) , will take at least 29 weeks for me to master it !

His swiftness in gear shift is amazing ! he does it within a blink of a eye ! You just can't make it out whether he has changed the gear !

I do agree with u that Half clutch is not a right way , But one thing I am sure that smoother the gear shift the lesser harm to Clutch plate & gear box, May be the term "Half Clutch" used by him is incorrect & should be " perfect clutch " what he mean to say , I will clarify during my nxt tour with him probably next friday to Aurangabad.

If poss. will try to bring him along with me on 3rd Dec. so tht we can clarify our doubts.

Thx for ur comments.

Atul
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I think what he mean by Half clutch is giving throttle in half clutch position so that there won't be a sudden acceleration (jerk) feeling.
    When I was learning driving, my instructor told me to press the accelerator gently while releasing clutch.
    --Rajeev
  6. arulvr

arulvr Amatore

Bangalore
    That's for upshifting the gear...for down shifting..u pbly have to press down on the brake/bring down the speed...
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Cross-posting from another thread, more details here -->> NO HONKING DAY

8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In the Air Force, road safety has become an important issue since road accidents are putting a lot of young "air warriors" out of action. Regular meetings are held to discuss road safety issues.

I remember chairing a meeting where one young officer gave a talk about "Defensive driving". He started the talk with a very good definition of "defensive driving" - driving with the firm conviction that you are the only sane person on the road. What this means is that your driving techniques must have the margin to cater for the mistakes of every other driver in your vicinity.

The officer had put together his talk from a US Air Force publication on the same subject. I think that it makes good sense.

Regards
    Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  9. I feel there is nothing like 'defensive driving' at least in India and we just ultimately end up being a part of the race, in which we have to survive.

I have been driving since '94 (16 years now) and have cruised on the roads (Indian, mostly) in almost all the vehicles available in the market, and have not had a single accident yet. There are a few examples of an improper turn, last second hard brake et. al but none over which I lost sleep. There are a few simple things to take care of before driving and once behind the wheels.

Before you even pick that shiny key from the stand, just make sure your mind is alert, you feel physically fit and not overburdened with some thought. On days when I have something nibbling my thought process, I rather take a public transportation that drive my car. And on days when I know I will be working late or have lot of meetings lined up, I prefer to leave my car at home. Never drive to prove a point or to reach your destination soon. The old saying- Better late than never- is still true.

Once behind the wheels, stick to the laws/rules and just be confident. Use the turn signals, even if no vehicle is behind you, stop at red signals (even if no one is crossing the road), and keep a fair distance to the one in front of you. Do not aggravate at the sight of someone overtaking you. Let him, you know your car's worth and you still do not have anything to prove.

Driving is a skill which comes naturally to many and few need to learn it. Pity, in India even those who do not know driving can also get a full fledged license, just because they just celebrated their 18th birthday.
    3 people like this.
  10. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    dr_shiva@ thx for ur inputs, & i agree to the same & will follow it.
    Atul