1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Default tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Deepak R, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Deepak R

Deepak R Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi everyone,

I have booked my Punto today. How can i identify whether the set of tyres r used or new ones

Thank u in advance :)
  2. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Most of the new tyres have thin "rubber hairs" on them..These are like tiny rubber threads of around ;1-1.5 inches in length...perpendicular to the tyre surface ...In a new tyre these would be in tact...on the whole of the surface...that is in contact with the road...and ;they fade out pretty fast once the tyres are used.....That might be one of the ways to detect it...
  3. Deepak R

Deepak R Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It would help me a lot. Thank u !!!
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Better than that, check the manufacturing date which is printed on the sidewall. All tyres have it. The format may be different. In Linea (Goodyear NCT5), it is printed as MMYY so 0711 means it is a July 2011
  5. Deepak R

Deepak R Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank q buddy... Will chk it out :)

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Also most of them tell me that i should insert a coin between the treads. By what depth does it have to move???
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Why are you worrying about coin test? That's to check the remaining life of a used tyre. Anyway, for all tires, they have a tread wear indicator now days. Eg for Michelin, there is a Michelin man (the log) whose height indicates the remaining tread.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    hay thats nice.... I dint know that. Thanks for sharing the information.
  8. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Is there something like the Michellan man for the Goodyear GT3 that we get on our Puntos?
  9. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Most of the tyre has a thread wear indicator which will be a small plateau within the large 3 or 4 threads that run around the tyre.