1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DAYLINE headlights with FXR 3 on my Punto

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sunswape, Feb 19, 2014.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Nope. LED head light. Fenix makes LED flash lights which throw light up to several hundred meters on tiny batteries. Example:http://lightmen.in/fenix-tk75-led-flashlight.html. Electricals in a car are much more capable. We should be able to light up at least half a kilometer stretch using LED light. LED lights open up possibilities of controlling the light intensity (that is what Fenix flash lights do) so that just one LED array can do parking light, low beam, high beam and super high beam etc.
  2. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Thou idea seems quite nice but its very hard to implement. As on road you need to control the beam for low beam function, for high beam its great. Now the led module is something and optics for it something else altogether. You can either focus LED to be spot light or diffuse it to have a flood light, but to get both functions from a single LED module is not very easy and its often avoided by ultra premium car manufactures too. What they actually doing is, they're adding individual LEDs for low beam and for high beam with respective optics. Then there comes huge headache of dissipating heat out of the LEDs and that is a different problem all together.
    Now it is true that HID and stuff is on the last bit of its life and LEDs is the next technology for lighting but still LED is far from being easy to retrofit or even manufacture, HID is still ruling the market because of its VFM tag.
    In short, fitting LED or anything like that will take you nowhere as by doing so you either miss high beam functionality or loose low beam output control.

Cheers.
  3. heshamdiab

heshamdiab Timido

Egypt
    Dear Fellow, I had the same story here, this same specific headlight only in black. And I need to do the exact same thing you did, my inquiries are as follows:
    1- Is the FXR 3.0 the best for this 2 inches diameter replacement instead? or the D2S (Both of course morimoto projectors)
    2- How to adjust wiring so that the this installed projector fires-up with the high beam?
    3- What's the best speedy startup HID ballast system to use? I have the Denso for the high beam reflector compartment, do I use Denso also for the low beam installed?

Appreciate the fastest reply :) have a nice day(s)
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 9, 2015 ---
    Dear Fellow, I had the same story here, this same specific headlight only in black. And I need to do the exact same thing you did, my inquiries are as follows:
    1- Is the FXR 3.0 the best for this 2 inches diameter replacement instead? or the D2S (Both of course morimoto projectors)
    2- How to adjust wiring so that the this installed projector fires-up with the high beam?
    3- What's the best speedy startup HID ballast system to use? I have the Denso for the high beam reflector compartment, do I use Denso also for the low beam installed?

Appreciate the fastest reply :) have a nice day(s)

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_8811 (Large).JPG
  4. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Dear heshamdiab,
    first of all congrats for acquiring those daylines. They will surely change the stance of your GP quite a lot.
    Now regarding your queries,
    1. FXR is not the best, in fact its the worst to fit inside a dayline. A hell lot of cutting is required to fit in a big FXR, I almost ended up destroying the headlight for ever after this FXR retro. Its really not worth it. Also, ditch that Mini D2s version, that is nothing but a Mini H1 only with provision to use D2s bulbs. Unless you are not a freak for OEM bulbs, get the Mini H1 6.0 and use H1 bulbs with it. Both Mini D2s and Mini H1 provide almost equal output on road. Why I know all this, because I myself sell this stuff and do the retros on www.xenonplanet.in

2. No need to adjust anything for high beam. You just need to the projector solenoid wire into Punto's original high beam wire and you are done. Basically, the projector only need to flip its solenoid (high beam shutter) to go to high beam from low beam. So no need to do any extra wiring.

3. If you can get Denso, than nothing like that. Second best is Hylux, please keep in mind. Dont run more than standard 35w, you will burn your mini in no time. Even if morimoto guys suggest, you just dont.

Later I did a quad projector setup on new Dayline set with sequential DRLs. You can follow the link below to see the full report on Quad setup I did. Its the setup Iam using currently. Another option you can opt for ;-)
    http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/dayline-headlights-with-quad-mini-h1-on-my-punto-pic-heavy.14247/

Sequential DRL on Dayline

A comparison between quad and single projector output on my own car. I have kept a switch to turn on/off the other pair of projectors in my Dayline headlights, according to need :)

Cheers
    varunrtr likes this.
  5. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Comparison video I made between two combinations I run on my Dayline
    Quad and single :)

6. heshamdiab

heshamdiab Timido

Egypt
    Dear fellow, thank you so much for the reply :)
    Now away from seducing me with DRL jumping dancing turning lights what which is awesome and I don't know if I'll be able to do one not :( ....
    I will take your advice and fit the D2S 6.0 with the same H1 Denso set 35 watts / 4300 K And I hope it works fine except the alignment issue cause I need to change the front bumper and the the plastic figment at the back of it that holds the headlight cause it's a bit damaged.
    1- What I didn't understand well is the bulb issue, use my H1 bulb or get the D2S bob with a converter from the H1 wiring?
    2- The solenoid wiring, just take another 2 poles in parallel to go to the 2 poles of the H1 high beam.
    Excuse me for not understanding but I'm not that pro as you are :) and I'll go to a free ends garage an electricity engineer in fact to get all things don't ne but I need to be understanding all issue.

Thanks pal for your patience and if I have anything is mind I'll let you know... Cheers :)
    Ohhhhh... The "snake" moving thing in yellow and white DRL thing lol... How to get it?
    Thanks
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thread merged. Dayline lights posts all in one thread.
  8. heshamdiab

heshamdiab Timido

Egypt
    @Suanswape... Sorry I meant "I will take your advice and fit the Mini H1 6.0 with the same... :)
  9. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Nothing to thank about mate, we all are Fiat lovers and we all follow same passion. Its a privilege to share knowledge and talk about mods we do to out cars. So, Iam happy if I could come of any help to you.
    here goes your queries;
    1. You just buy a H1 bulb for your Mini H1, no need to get into the useless trouble of converting a D2s bulb to H1 with various adapters. Conversions usually will spoil the output because projectors are basically all about perfect optics. If things does't fit as they are meant to be, you wont get a good output. A re-based or even converted bulb wont flush fit and hence will just ruin the output.

2. In simple laymen term. the solenoid wire just need a slight current to make it activate. All you have to do is to provide current to solenoid wires when high beam will engaged. On other occasion no current is needed to pass through the solenoid wires and it will keep it at its place (which is low beam). Thats all, you just need to provide current to the solenoid from high beam wiring. Any electrician can do it for you, its dead simple.

Regarding that snake thing :-D I just replaced the whole stock drl with a new one, simple :-D
    You can leave it for now as it is a lot of work.
    Just enjoy the stock DRLs, plan an upgrade for DRLs sometime when you get the itch of doing something new LoL ;-)

Cheers and always welcome
    kunwar.g likes this.
  10. heshamdiab

heshamdiab Timido

Egypt
    That's just perfect :) I'm on the same track as u advised... When I'm done I'll share the results pics here.
    Thanks pal
    varunrtr, sunswape and kunwar.g like this.