1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DAYLINE headlights with FXR 3 on my Punto

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sunswape, Feb 19, 2014.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yeah so the point of my conversation was that I will not be spending so much :)

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  2. atulkumbhar

atulkumbhar Amatore

PIMPRI, PUNE
    Pimpri
    Grande Punto 1.3
    hey man too much of work done. But really nice job.
    1 person likes this.
  3. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Hey can you let me know how much for Denso 55w. I already sourced Osram CBI D2s, need ballasts for that.
  4. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Some out-put shots
    Plz note the bulbs are cheap chinese 6000k ones and hence cut-off got a lil blurred. Reason I got these is just for looks and will be soon replaced with OEM 4300k Philips D2S. So watch this space for more pics with Philips ones.

LOW BEAM
    20140224_220455.jpg

HIGH BEAM
    20140224_220511.jpg

HOW IT LOOKS AT DAYTIME
    20140223_131418.jpg

HOW DRL LOOKS UNDER SUNLIGHT Not enough bright but better than what XUV has
    20140226_123122.jpg
    6 people like this.
  5. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Can't wait to see how the better bulbs fare.

What's the approximate cost for getting this job done on Linea - projectors plus the integrated DRL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Dont ask about cost, its just overkill now. And I dont think for Linea there is any aftermarket headlight available. Why dont you check out our very own TFI member, Mr. Jotinder's Linea. He has a very good setup with FXR projectors on his Linea :)
  7. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

After doing a FXR v3 install on Dayline earlier, decided to taste the Quad setup.
    So here goes an another thread on the installation and review of much famous Dayline Headlights with Quad Mini H1 6.0 bi-xenon projectors.

In my earlier thread on FXR install, I have mentioned about the poor throw the Daylines throw in stock. Daylines come with 35w H1 bulbs in both low beam and high beam. If anyone think that replacing the 35w bulbs with 55w bulbs would make matters even better then sorry, you will still be disappointed. Reason is that the optics of low beam projectors is that of Generation one projectors (please note that market is now on Gen6 projectors). So you can very well imagine that the projector coming as stock in Dayline has very old and almost primitive optics, ie no sharpness at cutoff, no clear lens and NOT EVEN HID COMPATIBLE. Yes you read it right, the projectors are not even HID compatible, thou fitting an HID bulb inside is not a big issue and is easily doable but you still need to do a lil modification here and there to get the HID bulb fitted. But downside of non-compatibility is that the protective rubber boot behind the projector need some cutting as the HID bulb protrudes a lil more then the stock halogen H1 bulb and the bulb retained clip of the projector also needs some tweaking.

ANYWAYS, lets not get into the stock stuff more as that is of not much use for anyone of use, Iam sure. Regarding the actual stock throw and specifications, you need to look my other thread.
    What was new this time was that I sourced a smocked out variant of Dayline headlight.
    IMG-20150312-WA0007.jpg

The earlier one was normal chrome headlight.
    I used these headlights as it is, for some days as I was awaiting delivery of Morimoto mini 6.0s.
    While using the Dayline's in stock form, and having HID in low beam stock projectors, I can say that YES, Daylines are manageable with an HID upgrade. But on highways, anyone would definitely crave for more light as high beam reach is dangerously less. Within city limits, its quite manageable.

Pic of low beam with stock halogen, sorry, even camera failed to pic up any light from the Dayline as surrounding light was more for it LOL
    20150318_224532.jpg

And now after the HID install into the low beam, quite a difference. But width is very less. It seemed like Iam running single projector and not two, that bad was the width.
    20150319_002037~01.jpg
    20150329_212743.jpg

But when it comes to looks, there is just no comparison of Dayines.

Anyways, got the Mini 6.0s and did some minor adjustments for even more colorfull cutoff and painted shield red to give devil eye effect. More on that later.
    Here, Mini 6.0 on left and OEM Mercedes projector on right (for lens size comparo)
    20150409_010128.jpg

So on a fine sunday Installation started.
    Took out the lights and started opening it.
    IMG-20150419-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20150419-WA0029.jpg
    20150419_204301.jpg

Test fitted the Mini 6.0, came perfectly BUT later found that the alignment was getting screwed without doing proper fitment.
    20150419_204237.jpg

So fitting the MINI such that the cutoff comes straight, added 4 screws after many hit n trials. It turned out to be quite hard to align the projectors such that it also snugs nicely at the place provided inside the headlight. Applied M-seal later to double secure the bolts holding the projectors.

20150420_012400.jpg
    Alignment came perfect.
    IMG-20150419-WA0033.jpg
    IMG-20150419-WA0035.jpg

Now time to cram one more set into the reflectors (stock high beam). It turned out to be major task, opposite what we thought.
    A lot of cutting was done to precisely fit the projector in such a way that it should spare projector some room to help us align it properly and fit in perfectly. So we took out the reflector and started cutting, for cutting alone it took 1hour, and another hour to fine tune the alignment (that was for one side only)
    20150420_012342.jpg

Now you must be thinking, what the crappy red paint for ? It gives a red demon eye effect on certain angles when a strong light source points towards the projectors, say like an oncoming car with headlights onn or a camera flash. Something like this
    20150420_012120.jpg

Time to fit in everything back and blast the projectors, wiring took its own sweet time as we had two obstacles this time, one is that daylines are not plug n play, and second is we have four set of projectors to run and that too all four on low as well as on high beam mode.

Time to fit the lights back onto the car n fir them up.
    20150420_042231.jpg

I used 4300k and 5000k combo just to get best of both world. The light output came out very practical and great for even harsh conditions. Please note here, if someone plans to go for quad setup, dont opt for 5000k for all projectors. You will get an extremely high glare back onto your own eyes leading to problems for your ownself, either get 4300k on all four or you can get 5000k-4300k combo is matching the color of all four projectors is not a major concern for you.

All the work went from day to throughout the night and by the time we finished the install, it was already 6am and it was impossible to check the real bump in light. So came the evening and then night, and here what we had in front of us. A literally flood of light which is not at all glaring to my own eyes yet powerful enough to litup every damn thing on road along with such a long range that I have never seen such a strong high beam personally so far. Light is consistent through out the width, high beam focus is well to the middle and does't loose its intensity fast per distance covered and cutoff of all four projectors came out quite well and its zero glaring to oncoming traffic in low beam mode. The aligning of cutoff of all four projectors was the most frustrating job in whole install. A single bad aligned projector and you have an expensive but fail setup !!
    Some output pics:
    Low beam
    20150421_205537.jpg
    20150421_220704.jpg
    High beam
    20150421_205542.jpg
    20150421_220653.jpg

And the devil effect showed like this;

20150420_210921 - .jpg

THATS ALL !!!

Cheers.
  8. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

And this is what is driving the Mini Madness.
    Original CNLight 35w ballasts with CNLight h1 Bulbs and 2 relays with 4 small bike relays to distribute the current better.
    Ballasts just ozzes quality :-D
    20150319_124243.jpg 20150319_124255.jpg
    And special thanks to my installer Jay Prakash aka JP. A great person to work with. Needed a special mention here :)
    testdrive likes this.
  9. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Cool project! Can someone comment on whether LED lights are available for Punto?
  10. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

LED like what ? DRL ?