1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DAYLINE headlights with FXR 3 on my Punto

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sunswape, Feb 19, 2014.

1. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Thought of sharing my experience with my fellow TFIans of retrofitting a FXR 3 projector onto the much hyped Dayline headlight
    It all began many months back when I first saw the Dayline headlights available for Punto. It was not on top of my mod list thou I was always keen to get it fitted onto my car. Anyways, atlast I got a set for reasonable price and just took the plunge. I was fully aware of this fact that the Dayline or Sonar headlights or any aftermarket headlights are never upto the mark when compared to even stock headlight. So a retrofitting plan was always on my mind. But when I received the headlights and fired them up, I was totally shocked :eek: what I had was a two tiny spot lights in front of my car which are not capable to even light things up even in well lite streets :evilsmile High beam was even worse. Believe me, I found it hard to do even 40kmph with high beam in pitch dark roads. I immediately dropped the plan to use these like this for even a day. Packed them back and ordered a set of FXR 3 projectors along with 4300k 35w HID kit and promptly waited 3 weeks to get these lil devils delivered to me :rolleyes: In between had quite a few unwanted suggestions and advices from relatives and friends to not to go ahead with such a project as it could permanently ruin the costly headlights and moreover its looks ! They had a point but I cant drive with these for show off sakes and end up in a ditch someday :)
    Anyways to cut long story short, got the FXR and on a warm Sunday took the plunge. From outside only it was clear that in no way FXR would fit in the place of stock low beam projector. It was just too huge and there was hardly any space in the headlight to accommodate the big FXR and specially its weight.
    Still started opening the lights at 12pm exact and in half an hour we opened both. Upon seeing the stock projector and its size it was clear that it would be a do or die situation if we even start the project. But then it was better than having two beautiful candles in front of my car :D

Took the plunge and after that it was a full 14hour work which ended up well. Thou after the initial install, lights were opened thrice in next few days to make some necessary changes specially the alignment of FXR low beam cut off.

Installation;
    The stock lights
    IMG-20140124-WA0019 - Copy.jpg

The stock low beam projector
    20140202_121847.jpg

Now the tricky part of mounting FXR projector started, there was clearly not enough space to mount FXR so had to cut whole mounting of stock projector and even the back side of headlight. FXR then bolted straight onto the headlight with four screws, these screws were used to align FXR later.
    20140202_165721.jpg
    Side view
    20140202_184916.jpg

The major part was done and it took us hell lot of time. There was no space for errors because a wrong trimming here and there and the overpriced headlight would remain of no use :mad:

Mounted lights onto the car and believe me it looked fab that way too. MEAN :cool: The 3inch clear lens of FXR gave character to the car.
    20140202_192943.jpg

Low beam of FXR
    20140202_192157.jpg
    Alignment being done, notice the sharpness of cutoff FXR have, mind blowing. It gets better when distance increases :cool:
    IMG-20140209-WA0016 - Copy.jpg
    What changed;
    Day and night difference in the way lights perform now.
    Low beam got more powerful than even my previous projector setup. Its thorough and WIDE !! I hardly use high beam nowadays, and wen I do it is mostly to counter high beamers :evil: and believe me, its now like sitting on top of the food chain of high beamer's world :evilsmile
    Replaced high beam 35w h1 bulb to Osram 55w H1 5000k look alike halogen. Does't made that much difference but high beam improved to say 40% which was just extra icing on the cake and it made high beam color to match with 4300k of FXR.
    High beam is spot on. FXR is not famous for its high beam. Its intensity drops as distance increase away from car, but boy, halogen reflector compensates this drawback quite well. Theres nothing left on road which is not in the range. I can easily do triple digit speeds now, even on pitch dark roads. (BTW it gets even better in full darkness lol )

Bottom line;
    These Dayline headlights are over hyped and are definitely over priced. The quality of both projector and reflector are nowhere close to what stock headlight has. Projector is strictly made for 35w halogen and takes miniature h1 bulb, same for high beam too (WHAT A JOKE !!) A HID kit minimum is required if anyone wants atleast a decent output from these lights. If performance if your goal, just stay 1000kms away from these or be prepared to spend 'extra'.
    Thou LEDs are of decent quality and does't give that bluish white throw of cheap LEDs. Its warm white and Iam so happy that DRLs does't look cheap in anyway. Best part you can replace the LEDs if required, but need to open the headlight for it.

At the end I got what I wanted, looks with even better performance.

Thanks for reading :rolleyes:

- - - Merged Post - - -

Final shot. Will update with pics of High beam and low beam soon.
    20140216_234917 - Copy.jpg
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How much it costs?
    And light seems whitish, do let us know how it performs in rain.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Whitish light will perform very badly than the stock lamps in rain. Anything above 3500 kelvin will make life difficult in rain.
    1 person likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Firstly nice work there.

Did you go for the FXR3.0 stage IV with the Morrimotto HID kit?

The best combo and results I have seen on FXR3.0 Stage IV kit is with the Denso ballast and the Osram D2S set up. The light spead and illumination of the road was as good as the Beemers or the Merc's projectors
    2 people like this.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Most of the TFIans who got such headlight assembly are not happy with the light throw and hence they got the extra hella lights.

If I am not wrong you can not upgrade the bulbs as well for this assembly, please correct me if I am wrong.

Are you getting error message on your MID for headlights?
  6. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Wow.... great setup dude.

I like the light throw. The best ever found in a DIY projects. :up
    1 person likes this.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Nice DIY buddy.

How did you manage to open the headlight? Is there any possiblity that you will upgrade the bulbs?
    1 person likes this.
  8. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Cost, just dont ask me. Its just OVERKILL !!! Its 40+ :-D
    And the throw is not white actually, its 4300k that is yellowish white. Camera played trick here.
    Btw, today I shifted to 6000k, anyways :-D
    And I used 5000k earlier too which is pure white. Honestly telling I never faced any problem in rain. Did lots of highways and hill driving with those, with moderate to heavy rain and never faced any issue as such.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Believe me, till 4300k its all fine. Yes above that you need a better projector rather than anything. Till 3500k means you serious about fog.

- - - Merged Post - - -

No bro, it is't stage 4, Iam using my old 35w P8 ballasts with current setup. I just got FXR 3 inch with clear lens and a set of CNlight D2s bulb (4300K) and D2s to amp converter, thats it. Thou I switched to cheap 6000k D2s bulb today just for the hang of it. Its too much light on the road that I can safely sacrifice some lumen while shifting to 6000k :-D In return I get a super cool bluish color on the cut off line.

BUT, Osram CBI and 55w Denso ballasts are next on the list. I want to let my financial state get a lil stable first LoL

- - - Merged Post - - -

True, these lights have shit throw. I did't expected that these will have such a disastrous throw. Both the stock projector and reflector takes H1 bulb, that itself will tell you what would be throw like. And yes you can upgrade the bulbs, like say to HID. I tried H1 hid bulb in high beam and it was throwing decent beam, thou it was still less than even stock OEM headlight.
    And no errors there in my car. Used canbus ballasts :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

- - - Merged Post - - -

Opening headlight was not much of a task. It was easy to open these. Just used hot air gun and used that to make sealant soft and just used screwdriver to open up. Its OEM headlights that are nightmare to open :-D
    And I have already upgraded High beam h1 35w normal Halogen to 55w Osram night breaker. The high beam is so intense that till now theres hardly anyone who has't dipped down for me. Its like MISSION COMPLETED for me ;-)

Upgrade to 55w Denso ballast and Osram CBI D2S bulb is next on the list :mrgreen:
    4 people like this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    someday i will get these lamps for my beauty. Till then i'll just ogle at others:rolleyes:
    1 person likes this.
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    If you are willing to spend around 40K for the FXR 3.0 Stage IV with Denso 55W Ballast and Osram 4200K D2S bulbs, you can get that done right in Bangalore in a couple of days.
    2 people like this.