1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Dashboard removal for fixing Headlight adjustment

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Srinivas Rowjee, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Srinivas Rowjee

Srinivas Rowjee Timido

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    I have a 5 month old Fiat Linea T-Jet. The ASC on the first free service is asking permission to remove the dashboard for fixing a headlight issue. I feel the refitment of the dashboard and given the airbag and other electronics in the dashboard could do more harm than good. Looking for suggestions on how to take his ahead. I am terribly disappointed and given Fiat's airbag recall am seriously concerned about the quality of the build overall.
  2. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    vov, I am sorry why would anyone need to open the Dashboard for Headlight Adjustment, makes no sense.
    Are you sure it's Dashboard and not Bumper ? I don't think there's any Recall for Airbag by Fiat, it was with Toyota and few other manufacturers.
    Dashboard has to be removed very skillfully, doing accurate makings because if it's not been aligned properly then you will hear all sorts of rattlings.
    No you need to check again as to why your FASS wants to do this job, I am 100% sure it has nothing to do with Headlight Adjustment.
  3. Srinivas Rowjee

Srinivas Rowjee Timido

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    The adjustment which moves the Beam up or down aint working ( not the dipper) . They said they checked all the fuses etc and would need to open the dashboard to check for electrical stuff. Its very disconcerting that a 5 month old car needs this :(
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Before checking the wire harness. have they checked whether the supply is coming on the motor point which moves the headlamp up and down. They can by pass the switch and use 2 battery wires and relay pulse to see if motor is moving up or down.
    If it is moving and and current is not coming then there is problem with the switch or harness. If switch can be removed without opening the dashboard then check for continuity between motor and switch points you will be able to check harness.
    If harness is damaged then open the dash board. Harness damage is due to some rodent maximum times.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Don't trust the SA blindly. Many times they take dumb decisions and mess up. Follow @KKAUL's steps to debug and ensure dashboard really needs to be opened. Does not matter how old the car is - defects can creep in at any stage from design to in-use stages. So don't be too alarmed if there is a defect. Fortunately I have seen Fiat working fine after fixing the defect if and when a defect is found. To give you some mental peace - my Fiat is driving almost as new even after 5 years and 46,000 kms with last 5,000 kms of running in worst imaginable road conditions in rural India.
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I forgot to mention one thing . The inner movement assembly of light is held with a screw which some times loosens and the whole assembly drops down giving an impression that the motor is not working. It is just five minut job to set that right.
    So be sure and check physically by looking carefully at the both headlight lamp .If one lamp has dropped down you will see the difference in gap. Please see this before checking the electrical.