1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Das Vibrator!!!

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Ashpalio, Sep 11, 2012.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Is there any data/numbers to prove that this ad was a 'blockbuster' success?

Just because we are discussing it here doesnt mean it was a success. We discuss lot of stuff on forums but not all of it is liked/successful/blockbuster. Many threads are purely for information sharing and exchange of ideas. That's the purpose of having forums.
    You would buy a car because of advertising? What if tomorrow Maruti/Tata comes up with a more innovative ad campaign?

I'm really surprised to hear such a hollow statement coming from a Fiat owner/fan! I thought the reason one owns a Fiat is because the car is designed and engineered intelligently, manufactured well and performs like a car. Not because company spends those dollars in advertising and stupid ads.
    3 people like this.
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    There are several objectives for an advertisement. It is not just generating a sale, which may be just 1-2%, but to generate a buzz, an awareness and a brand recall at a later point of time. Whether you like it or not, VW has succeeded in doing that.
    And it definitely created a BUZZ literally :evilsmile
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    3 people like this.
  3. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    +1 to RoyJ and Amit

They have succeeded in what they had intend to... They have generated a buzz for sure... They have succeeded in brand recall as well... And believe it or not, General People's mentality is such that they would rush to VW showrooms if they are planning to buy a new car and even if VW was not on their preference list till now... I am not sure about the sales numbers of VW but for sure would get whopping number of TDs done...

To like this innovative concept or not liking this is matter of individual choice... I definitely did not like it, same as I dont like their entry level hatch and sedan(Read Polo and Vento here) but I surely like their Jetta and Passat in their respective segments... We've to agree that many of us would opt for Vento if there was no Linea existing in this world... I mean many of us would prefer to opt for Vento over Verna, SX4, Fiesta, Rapid...etc. Though thats not the case when it comes to Hatches... I just dont like NVH level of Polo and would never opt for 3 pot machine at that price range... yeah, if they are offering 1.6 Polo at reasonable price than its worth it, That definitely is a good machine...

So, Positive or Negative whatever publicity they are deriving outta this is surely helping them to spread the word... and Thats what all VW would have intended to do...

Cheers :up

Neel
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys guys, its OFF TOPIC but I have some news for y'all. :p

1. Do you know what happened to all the OEM speakers from FIAT cars that were trashed post the speaker upgrades in many cars.
    Answer- VW took them and plonk them in Das Vibrator.

Or I should simply say,

VW took inspiration from FIAT when it designed its Das Vibrator.
    Check out the speaker.

Coming soon threads:
    1. "ICE considerations for Das Vibrator, by Johnny"
    2. "TFI Official OEM Das Auto ICE upgrade thread"
    3. "Speaker upgrade for my Das Vibrator"

Das Vibrator.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    The impact of this advt is huge. Imagine how many households receive TOI throughout the country? Unless a person is dead, he will surely notice the advt and even if he is an alien who just landed on this planet he will come to know about a car brand called VW in India.

I didn't say I will buy a VW because of it's advertising, you seem to have missed the message or point my post was trying to make.

As for Fiat's, if these car's are engineered intelligently & manufactured well then they would not have CSC replacement's, elastic pad's and front suspension parts being replaced, A/C gas leakages and what not after just a few hundred kms. Your car may not have had these problems, but no one can deny that both the Fiat's do have a reliablity issue in our country. TFI's objective is to accept these short comings.

This is a forum not a Fiat temple of worship.
    1 person likes this.
  6. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    So by that logic, tomorrow if Fiat launches an ad campaign across TOI, HT and Navbharat Times, will it get more sales than VW?

No.

That's because Indian consumers follow the herd. All they are concerned is 'kitna deti hai?', 'kitne showroom/service centres hain?', 'kitni halki gaadi hai!'

How many even know that Fiat, Ferrari and Maserati belong to the same family? Or that VW Vento and Skoda Rapid are essentially the same cars? Or that Skoda is equal to Maruti in their home country?

Not many. And we have no one but ourselves to blame. As a buyer, Indians don't research properly. They just follow the media. Most of which is sponsored and doctored.

The same Marks & Spencer, Mango, H&M etc are considered crap brands in their home countries. But because they are 'imported' and priced higher in India, people flock to buy. Regardless of their real reputation.

I suspect it is the same mentality at play here as well.

Skoda has worse A.S.S than Fiat. Google on 'Nummer Eins' (Skoda dealer) and you'll know why it shut down. They were putting worn out and fake spares in customers' cars.

But still people buy Skoda blindly because they 'perceive' it to be premium. Mind you, in reality, the features by themselves aren't. But its the perception. Skoda/VW has correctly identified the weak and non-research based buying behavior of Indians and they are capitalizing on that.

Seems like you selectively follow news! How could you miss massive recent recalls by Ford, Honda, Toyota etc? Not just in India, but in US and EU. Supposedly better manufacturing practices right?

No car is 100% free from all faults. Across the world! Yes, not even your VW. Its just clever marketing and PR through which they hide these incidents. Did you not read the recent Jetta crashed by KSM incident?

What I intended to convey was that as a Fiat buyer/owner, I assumed you would have bought the car for it's technical and engineering capabilities. Honestly tell me, when you bought your Fiat, did you not know that A.S.S would be a problematic area? Then why did you still buy it?

Sorry if I could not get my message across more clearly.
    4 people like this.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I hate this discussion, to be frank...
    Yes, if they do it consistently, but not overnight. When was the last time we saw a decent full page advt of FIAT in any of these newspapers. One of the aims of the advts are, more than increasing sales, brand recollection. VW does it consistently and successfully.
    FIAT's advt and marcom does almost nothing or did nothing until very recently. Their advts are like saying, "we have two cars, if you want, buy, else ignore!". Only very recently they started saying "6 million cars run of FIAT engine". Other than who who seriously consider FIATs and of course, those who observe the auto market, how many knows that FIAT supplies engines to mautis and TATA's and RIOs?
    You can't blame them. Unless you shout on roof-tops, how do they know what else you offer? You have everything, but you are too lazy to talk about them. Others have very few, they talk about those very few in volumes. TATA and Maruti uses FIAT engine technology and claims high mileage. FIAT didn't even think of mileage as a selling point. Even BMW has started advertising the mileage of their cars. If FIAT cars are not getting the deserved respected, it is partly because of their laid back attitude to the market.
    But I do see light at the end of the tunnel. Some activity is good activity.
    3 people like this.
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    You don't seem to understand the way marketing and advertisement works. Nobody in the world can give you figures on how many cars will be sold because of this vibrator advt and this is not the purpose of the advt. The reason behind the advt was to create a buzz , a zing around the VW brand. This was achieved by the ad. Today, Fiat is a tired brand in India while VW is a zippy, zingy brand - when you think of VW you think of their car's as fun, innovative, a car you buy because you want to not because you need a means of transportation.

Using your logic of imported brands being priced higher in India, Fiat is a imported brand too yet it doesn't sell. Why? There are deeper reasons as to why Fiat has failed to click in this market despite being here for the past 15 years. VW sells more after 5 years here then Fiat in 15 years. Heck, Renault launched more cars in 2 years then Fiat has launched in 15! By the way, just as Mango is considered a crap brand in their home countries, so is Fiat considered a crap brand in Europe.

I have read the KSM incident. Would be good if you read my response there. Mind you, it's an accident caused by the dealer, I don't see how you can hold the manufacturer directly responsible for it. VW has some moral responsibility towards it's customer which we hope they will fulfill.

Have you read the incidents of Fiat failing or refusing to acknowledge and solve issues with their cars? Many such incidents are here on the forum itself. This Italian 'giant' has many times failed to solve alignment issues which afflicts many of it's cars.

I do follow the news of recalls, Toyota recalled 8 million cars equalling almost 4 years production of cars in India still it hasn't lost it's image of a reliable car maker. I am not surprised you talk about other car manufacturer's recalling cars to justify problems in Fiat's. This has been a dangerously increasing trend here on TFI - talk of quality problems in Fiat's and everyone gets up and says it happens in all cars. As an example, Maruti makes 20,000 Swifts every month with very little or zero niggles. Fiat makes 500 Punto's with many niggles. Who has better quality practices? Who has better manufacturing abilities?

I don't need to answer to you why I bought a Fiat but I will still do. I had a Palio S10 for 7 years and 80,000+kms unlike a lot of people here who just happened to buy a Fiat and now behave as if they own the company! The point is the Punto is not a patch on the Palio when it comes to quality, build & reliability. I did buy the Punto because I thought it would have the same engineering prowess that was built into the Palio. Sadly, I am disappointed. More so because the Punto in Europe is acknowledged by the experts as having quality & reliability almost equalling VW. Disappointed because the Palio was a BRIC specific car while the Punto is a EU based car which logically should have been built better.

Like I said, TFI is NOT a temple for Fiat worship. You cannot go around justifying niggles in the cars by saying all cars have some problems. Compared to the Punto & Linea , how many problems have you heard about in the City, Vento, Rapid, Verna? How many parts have been changed under warranty in these cars compared to the others? I see many members justifying the niggles in their cars but all of you rave & rant when the service advisor tells you the same thing!

Anyway, you are taking the thread totally off topic. You may be having some problems accepting VW's advt or their capabilities. You are entitled to your opinion but don't go around belittling other's views.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    First of all, I think this is not taking it off topic. The underlying thought to this discussion is use of media for effective advertising and marketing by VW (and an implied lack of the same by other companies, say Fiat).

Also last I checked, I did not 'belittle' YOUR view(s). Please show me the comment and I'll take back my words.
    Err, so says the man who thinks I'm the belittling? I don't think YOU have the right to be judgmental about my understanding.
    And neither am I treating it as one. You obviously have not seen my ownership report. I have detailed many negative points about the car, company and dealership. In fact my report starts with the fact that I never considered Fiat as one of the contenders. Also, I don't know from where you deduced that I'm justifying faults in Fiat by equating it to other cars.

What I was trying to convey earlier was that different kinds of manufacturing processes are prone to specific types of niggles in the end product. (e.g. Apple manufactures supposedly top-quality iPhones and iPads, but even they are prone to failures). Proper QC (during/post production) and damage control (after product rolls out of factory) is required and company has to own up to that. Fiat did not and was late in realizing that. It justifiably lost out.

Lots, several, countless and what-have-you-synonyms. And that's just what I have heard/read. 95% go unreported. Why? Because like I said earlier, clever marketing and PR backed by huge ad spends is what covers those up.

Anyway, to put an end to this OT discussion (as you call it) from my side, you should know that Fiat has a long standing dispute with Times of India and you'll probably don't see their ads in that paper ever.
    3 people like this.