1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Damage to the Oil chamber due to frequent scraping .

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sanfiat, Jun 5, 2012.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I've got the GC upgrade done on my Linea :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

......albeit reluctantly as the rear shocks got leaked....

but thereby reducing the probability of scrapping !! :mrgreen:
  2. xler

xler Novizio

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    The person at the showroom is partially right. Running the vehicle without engine oil would damage a. turbo first before damaging the valve train and the cylinder bore and piston assy.
    I have never come across a case where the engine oil has leaked out immediately after an underbody scrape. The engine protection guard does a fabulous job keeping away the dents from the engine oil sump.
    Possibility of oil sump puncture/crack increases if there have been repeated impact to a bent engine protection guard or in case of collision with pointed objects. Even this does not happen after one scrape.
    I have been driving low GC cars for a decade now and now follow simple steps to stay safe:
    1. Regularly monitor oil pressure low alarm on the instrument panel.
    2. Incase of a particularly heavy underbody collision, stop at a safe place and inspect below the engine bay to check for any signs of damage.
    3. As a regular practice before you drive away each morning, check the floor area beneath the car for signs of leakage.
    4. Get the engine protection guard straightened at each service or after a bad underbody collision/scraping.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hmm Mr.Green Smiles :)
    GC upgrade takes priority in such discussions and you must have satisfied with this upgrade...
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Running an engine without oil will pretty much kill the entire engine. The window is small from the moment the oil takes a dump till the engine calls it quits.

The main bearings will be the first to go. Then pistons will get scuffed. Turbo will be the last to go. This is all theoretical.

The moment you feel a strong impact to the underside, just pull over and have a look underneath. It can save you a LOT of headache later.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    A friend of mine got a minor dent on the oil chamber. It was not the result of underbody scrapping. But done by TASS (read concorde) while using a lever to straighten the engine guard. During the next service, TASS said there is some damage to the oil sump and needs to be replaced. There was no oil leaks though. Dont remember how much he had to pay for that.
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I too had my oil sump changed due to a hit. It was the TASS that noticed it as they said they saw some oil seepage. I cnat remember hitting anything that bad. So all the talk of the engine guard being great lies low.

I have clocked 54000kms. My struts and rear shox are almost gone . There is some leak in the rear shox and I was thinking I could extend it to 60K and go for a GC kit but not possible now. I have ordered for a GC kit but TAFE is skeptical of its delivery from FIAT. They say that they had ordered 5 kits each for Linea and Punto two months back and are yet to recv them. I dont know if I can wait that long. Already the mood for change of suspension has set in me.

Abdul
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Well, how about 50+ hits as in the case of J Ravi and still no damage to the sump.

Maybe you got a hit at some Achilles Heel of the guard.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Seems unlikely if u don't recall a major thud hit on gaurd below........Did u lend it out to a pal for sometime...in between ??...... Har ek frienf zaroori nahin hai boss
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @gurjinder, hits on the achilles heel or the solar plexus can maim a person. The fact is that I got a hit and it hurt badly. @J Ravi may have got hit 50 times but as i said it depends on where the hits were and how bad it was :). It may not be ideal to generalize but may be I was expecting more compliance form the engine guard. My opinion is formed from my experience. All this because they couldnt get the GC right at development stage itself

Abdul
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    A major impact can bent the engine guard and the catalytic converter pipe(especially if the hit is on the catalytic converter flange), which in turn can dent the oil sump. Check if the lower portion of the catalytic converter is in shape.