1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Damage to the Oil chamber due to frequent scraping .

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sanfiat, Jun 5, 2012.

1. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello.

Punto does scrape a lot on uneven roads and sometimes if we miss a bump, the hit could be really serious. Now,i was just checking about things i should be worried as a result of these frequent scrapings .
    One guy who worked at a Tata showroom told me that if we get a bad hit on the metal sheet underlying for engine protection, it could take a dent and hit the oil chamber above . Subsequently it could damage the oil pump inside the chamber thus hurting the engine turbo and ultimately the Engine itself as car would be running on high speeds without this oil being pumped from the chamber.
    My Query: 1. Is this true?
    2. I was under theimpression that the chamber is only for oil storage and pump is safely located at a much higher location and can not be damamged due to this scraping. Am i correct?
    3. I believe if the chamber gets hit the only way u can know it is damged is if it gets puntured and oil seep can be visually seen. A bit of dent on the chamber which doesn't result in leakage of oil is not very serious. Is it right?
    4. What are the regular checks we should do to be sure if scraping isn't doing any severe damage to the engine/ turbo etc.?
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    1. If you hit badly, obviously you will stop and inspect. If one does not stop - he is a fool.
    2. If oil leaks one must not drive his car at all. Tow it to the service centre.
    3. Generally metal guard takes the hit and not often does the oil chamber get a dent.
    4. If a dent is too big replace the guard.

Moral of the Story !! When your car gets hit badly from beneath, STOP and INSPECT. Dont keep on driving.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    italia-linea,
    Out of my recent trip, i have hit more than 5 times,out of this 4 times i was fool as per your above post!

My question is why to check underhood,i mean this can be alarmed(low oil pressure) on the ODO as well rite ?
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    nothing literally happens even if you scrape it a few times...the sheet is so thick.. chances of the sheet cracking and damaging the oil sump is very less. Once, while parking at a hill station. there was a big stone lying there and i didnt notice it...it just lifted my car up and i had to jack it toremove the stone... there was only some scratches on the plate even after that !!
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    same thing happened to me as well,due to the stone my car was unable to move,when i given the throttle the big stone came out of the ground :D those were early days of my punto... :rolleyes:
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    My Linea has survived after 50+ underbody hits during her Leh trip and 16 bottom-scrapings during her recent Bhutan trip. On the way to Leh, my Linea got stuck over a rocky outcrop and did not move near the dreaded Zojila, that too in the night! Ultimately, Samaritans came in an Innova taxi and pushed her out of the cliff!:) Whenever my Linea bottom-scrapes, I continue my driving, but watch on IRVM/ORVM for any trail of oil behind. So far, my Linea did not drip. The maximum damage that could happen was bent engine guard plate, which could be dismantled, flattened and refitted. No worries.:)
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    5 people like this.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    I also have scraped the sump guard atleast 50 times. jumped on speedbreakers many times, went over a boulder once, passed through big ditches many times, sometimes I have had to scrape it knowingly when no alternate route was available.
    only damages till date:
    1.few months back I had changed the oil sump as it had got dented in a couple of places. it wasn't leaking though.
    2.last week I changed the sump guard first time as it had got battered badly. previously on multiple occasions i had got it hammered back in shape after hits.

So i feel in the worst case, the oil sump may take a hit and it would need a really bad hit to make it leak. Anything beyond that is a rarest of rare possibility!
    2 people like this.
  8. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Italia linea.
    I feel u have missed my query. I am not asking cases in which we should get down and inspect the car or whether to drive the car if oil is leaking. Anyone owning a car wouldn't drive his car if he is well aware that oil is leaking. Also if it sounds like u hit a boulder like it's a big bang anyon ewould get down and check if it's serious. I am asking if the oil pump is located such that it can get damaged with a serious hit on the chamber. Let's not advise things which are very too obvious just for the heck of it

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Thats right....any major leakage should be notified by an alarm meant for low level/pressure in oil chamber or soemthing......

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Thats right....any major leakage should be notified by an alarm meant for low level/pressure in oil chamber or soemthing......
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    What i meant was not just scrapping. What i want to say here is if you are hit badly from beneath , get down and inspect.

Dont rely on car electronics totally.

I got your point totally. But in case of our fiats the oil sump will get a major hit only when the guard is damaged or severely hit to such and extent that it has given up.

In this case its better to get down of your car and inspect before driving. Why wait till some electronics come into picture.

Oil pressure sensor will act only when certain conditions are met. If the dent is in such a way that oil remains over the sensor and its not reaching just a few part or say a single crankshaft bearing etc there will be no error.

A single mistake will ruin the engine leading to seizure of one or all cylinders.
    2 people like this.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    i also had a sump leak a few months back thanks to running over a big stone at high speed..
    And even then the sump had developed only a minor seal leak but no cracks in the casing as such..
    Since the seal was slightly broken and there was minute amounts of oil leaking.. I changed it..
    So as such its a pretty hard thing to destroy in one shot

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

i also had a sump leak a few months back thanks to running over a big stone at high speed..
    And even then the sump had developed only a minor seal leak but no cracks in the casing as such..
    Since the seal was slightly broken and there was minute amounts of oil leaking.. I changed it..
    So as such its a pretty hard thing to destroy in one shot