1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cycling

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by kailasmenon2000, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Thanks for details @kailasmenon2000
    Sorry, but i seriously find it difficult to figure out why it costs so high.
    I saw similar cycle without gears for around 2000. This doesnt have any shock absorbers or disk brakes , infact not even have fenders.
    This is what makes me confused. I dont mind paying money, but I am more worried about am I paying for brand or for the product.

And for those bicycles costing a nano, Passion doesnt have valuations. I am sure you would have found something that satisfies you and for which you are willing to pay. I am not pro nor do I share a passion of that level, cant say about future. But as of now just trying to swim on edge and see if this makes me happy.
  2. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Experts,

I haven't used a bicycle in the last 14 years :(. Now I would like to restart. I am unsure about my long term commitment and hence would like to start with the minimum investment.

I have seen a basic model in Decathlon which costs 4k. This one doesn't have gears, shock absorbers and is just plain. The sales executive tells me that I should buy one with gears considering my age or my knees will have problems later (I am 35, but to be fair to him, look much older than that :))

Is this basic model good enough to start with? I wouldn't be riding it for more than 2-3km distances (at-least to start with). I do not think I need one with gears, but would have liked to have shock absorbers. But I couldn't find this combination and the starting model with shocks is around 13k :( at-least in decathlon.

Cheers,
  3. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Well I only put in the pics & cost of my bicycle in the argument of "why a bicycle should cost so much" only that nothing else. it's like a maruti & Ferrari both are cars but they belong to different leagues. So is with bicycles, the ones made by BSA & these cannot be compared in any sense, price being 1st :)! And if you do your research, after formula1 the most scientifically researched sport is Bicycling :). The bikes you see in the Pics are made of Carbon Fiber :).

Well those who are just about looking for starting to cycle and just for recreation then Decatholon My-Bike(Rs.4k) should be more than enough. yes it does not have gears - which is of no use if you are just going to ride near your home within the city, don't get into the save your knees trap. Non-Gears dont give knee injury, wrong seating position & saddle height does. So pay attention to the way you sit & ride your bike. Any good single speed bike will do for normal riding. Gears are only used if you want to go real fast or adjust cadence as per terrain.

What you guys must remember is you must not be swayed by looking at these expensive bikes, these are for special needs. While I do race when ever I get time but even in our regular weekend ride we usually ride about 70-80kms and many times specially travel to places like Kasara Ghat, Lavasa for hard climbing! which is a far cry from regular riding around in the city. A decatholon my bike is perfect in every sense, infact even I would buy it if it was just running errands or commute or just time-pass. get a Good Cheap bike and start, you can always upgrade later if you like. That's how we both started too!
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 15, 2014 ---
    BTW even I have a single speed bike, though its a Fixed gear bike not exactly a My-bike but a no-frills bike anyway. infact I have 4 bikes in total each of them are Road bikes.
    snck and Viny like this.
  4. himanshu4886

himanshu4886 Regolare

Ahmedabad
    Linea 1.3
    Guys please suggest a bicycle for a new bie.. just want to use for fitness. So don't want gears or suspension.

Don't want to know with hero, atlas etc. So looking out for help from pros.
  5. Crazy Fiatian

Crazy Fiatian Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I would suggest to look for Decathalon's BTwin mybike (which don't have gears/suspension), I have bought one recently for Rs.5700/- and really enjoying it.
  6. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
  7. himanshu4886

himanshu4886 Regolare

Ahmedabad
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks crazyfiatian and kailasmenon2000 for suggestions. I think this is the best bet.

One more query is it wise to order from snapdeal or similar websites? There is one BTwin showroom in Ahmedabad but it is far so avoiding to visit.

I live on 3rd floor and do not want to keep it downstairs at kids are notorious here also there is fear of theft. The purpose to ask this is whether is it light weight?
  8. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    @himanshu4886 I bought it from snapdeal. If you get it in a near by shop, buy it from there. Most of the reputed bicycle shops sells B-Twin too. Advantage is that you'll get free service. Buying from Snapdeal is perfectly fine. Only thing is that you have to take it to the near by cycle shop to do the initital service, fix the gears etc. It might cost you around Rs.500.
  9. Crazy Fiatian

Crazy Fiatian Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    As kailasmenon2000 suggested get it from bicycle showroom for the below reasons
    --> I bought BTwin Mybike from a local bicycle dealer for Rs.5700/-, for that I got BTwin Center Stand, BTwin SP2 lock and local made Bell (which I should say better than BTwin) as free accessories. If you buy from online, you need to pay extra for the quoted minimum accessories.
    --> I am hearing some noise while breaking in my bike, planning to fix that in my free service (anyhow bicycles don't need much of service other than lubricating/adjusting chain/break, though it's good to have it free :))
    --> We can check the bicycle thoroughly for any damages/scratches if we buy from local bicycle dealer

It's light weight only, but carrying to 3rd floor (without lift) often makes us bored to even take the bicycle out, at least for me. Try to buy BTwin SP5 Spiral lock or BTwin chain lock and lock the bicycle with apartment pillar (if possible)

Note : Please select the appropriate size of the bicycle for your height which is very important, it's in decathalon's website.
    kailasmenon2000 likes this.