1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruze LT or Linea Emotion Pk? Legroom Linea enough kya?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by ajai_dev, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is mere speculation. There is no plan for 1.6L engine, and most importantly pricing is just his imagination.
  2. I don't think 1.6 will come anytime soon given T-JET has been launched recently .Cruze is a D segment car so feature wise Linea Emo Pk will always be more feature packed then Cruze low end variant.The decision you have to make apart from legroom is engine. Are you satisfied with 1.3VGT/1.4FIRE/1.4T-JET powertrains or not.
  3. ajai_dev

ajai_dev

Shimla
    Well actually Cruze is not D segment, its a premium C segment car "Euro Car Segment is followed in India"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_Car_Segment

Car's like SX4 and Linea come under upper C segment but cars like Cruze and Laura come under premium C segment.

The guy's in Joshi autozone told me that the 1.6L will soon be released but that was before the TJet got here. The standard 1.3 diesel is a bit low of power. I'll try and reconfirm and tell you all what he said i will be leaving next week for the test drive and will confirm there.

I already had a long chat with the mech in Chevy showroom he said that a lot of Cruze parts are imported and thus is more expensive that it had to be. He said something about a new petrol coming soon but i have not heard any thing on news maybe he was confused.
  4. Ajai,Sorry for the confusion when i meant D segment i was comparing cars that compete with Civic etc. I've never seen Linea compared with Cruze before. Linea competitors in India are Fiesta/SX4/City/Verna.In foreign markets e.g Brazil where FIAT enjoys good market share Linea might be a D segment car but in India FIAT brought Linea in C segment.

You mentioned 1.3MJD VGT is bit low on power but a Punto with same engine came 3rd in Raid De Himalaya rally couple of days back. Linea is only about 70-80 kg heavier than Punto so i don't think it's low on power.A person used to driving a Maruti or a Hyundai might find Linea low on power but thats not the case, FIAT cars need to be understood by the driver. Once a driver gets hang of it's powertrain/gear ratios it's a breeze. I know it's difficult for you since you mentioned you stay quite far from the nearest dealership but try to take test drive atleast drive 3-4 times or drive a friends Linea/Punto that many times to understand it's characteristics.
  5. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Am sure the 1.6 Linea is gonna take ages to be launched in India.. Ive been hearing abt it for quite a while but nothing coming up..
  6. ajai_dev

ajai_dev

Shimla
    My test drive got shifted because the test car has got some issues with the shaft oh well.

Now for the good news it seems that Autocar India measures legroom quite differently than other publications and i found out quite a bit after i bought some old issues at the local mag shop.

I bought 3 old Autocar issues of 2008 and 2009 "Could not find any one that had a Cruze review" the three had reviews of Swift Dzire, Logan and Indigo DiCOR "No Manza :( review found" well their specs are as following:

Dzire:

Front Seat:
    Legroom Max : 810 mm.
    Legroom Min : 590 mm.
    Headroom : 990 mm.

Rear Seat
    Legroom Max : 855 mm.
    Legroom Min : 625 mm.
    Headroom : 910 mm.

Logan:

Front Seat:
    Legroom Max : 800 mm.
    Legroom Min : 600 mm.
    Headroom : 970 mm.

Rear Seat
    Legroom Max : 820 mm.
    Legroom Min : 640 mm.
    Headroom : 920 mm.

Indigo DiCOR:

Front Seat:
    Legroom Max : 760 mm.
    Legroom Min : 550 mm.
    Headroom : 970 mm.

Rear Seat
    Legroom Max : 920 mm.
    Legroom Min : 725 mm.
    Headroom : 870 mm.

and finally Linea:

Front Seat:
    Legroom Max : 830 mm. "Best legroom among the 4, i guess Manza/Cruze may have more"
    Legroom Min : 620 mm.
    Headroom : 930 mm. "Least headroom among the 4"

Rear Seat
    Legroom Max : 860 mm.
    Legroom Min : 650 mm. "Second best among the 4, Indigo is better and i guess so will Manza"
    Headroom : 870 mm.

So if anyone has a Autocar India Cruze review can he/she also pitch in, even a Manza review in ACI would be informative just to give a idea?
  7. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
  8. ajai_dev

ajai_dev

Shimla
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ajai- There is no point including DZire in this comparo at all. It is just a Swift with a boot.
    Didn't you check out with Hind Motors, Chandigarh for a test drive?

I guess you went to Joshi?

Also, i read your post on teamBHP in which you have mentioned that you talked to a fiat engineer who is working as an employee in that dealership. Can you share with us more. I mean which dealership is this? I would prefer to get my car serviced from that service center.
  10. ajai_dev

ajai_dev

Shimla
    I included DZire because it was in one of the mag's.

Ya i went to Joshi, the guy was there in their service station not 100% sure he was their employee or if he was sent by FIAT for a temporary assignment because i called up Joshi about my test drive and asked to talk with him they said that he has gone for the holidays.

He made excellent points about the linea as i am quoting below:

"I pointed out to him that i may buy Cruze LT or the Linea 1.6L MJD and told him about what the Chevy engineer had told me "sir this car internal body is 65% high grade steel industrial strength steel" he smiled and said "our cars like the Punto and Linea also have 60-65% high strength steel".

I was a bit skeptical and asked him to prove it he opened up a shinny plastic covered manual that had a big LINEA SERVICE/REPAIR MANUAL written on it and showed me what was written on the 3rd page. It went something like "weight decrease is achieved by the use of high strength steel in the 67 percentile across the Grande Punto" The company that supplies the steel is SAB said the engineer but i searched online there is no SAB FIAT website so i guess the company name he gave me is wrong.

Also since i did not see Linea's name in the guide i asked him how he was sure that Linea also has 60-65% high grade steel he said "Linea is made on Punto the basic frame underlay is same"

The company that provides the high grade steel is SAAB and not SAB and here is the proof:

http://www.ssab.com/en/Brands/Docol1/So ... s-of-Fiat/

"The co-operation between Fiat Group Automobiles and SSAB Swedish Steel started with the side-collision bar for the first version of the Punto. “Since then,” says Giancarlo Bertoldi, Director for Interiors Engineering and Design of Fiat Group Automobiles, ”the use of high-strength steels in Fiat cars has increased tremendously, especially since the second version of the Punto. In all these years, these materials have undergone a huge evolution and this accounts for their greater use in the Grande Punto: from 28 percent to 67 percent. This means that, today, a good portion of the car body is made of high-strength steel. Better still, 17 percent is extra and ultra high-strength steel.“"