1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruze LT or Linea Emotion Pk? Legroom Linea enough kya?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by ajai_dev, Oct 18, 2010.

1. ajai_dev

ajai_dev

Shimla
    Hi everyone i am in a pickle i am deciding between a Cruze LT or Linea Emotion Pk i know the Cruze has a better engine but it does not matter a lot for me. The real problem is the legroom.

Now i have taken a spin in the Cruze and it felt good i crossed off better cars like the Laura because of the Cruze but i have not driven Linea till yet only sat on the rear seat and i recall it has a good ride my head was just an inch away from the roof :D

Problem started yesterday when my friend brought a old copy of Autocar india in which it was written that Linea had a max front seat legroom of only 830mm and the min rear seat legroom of 650mm This has got me worried i mean since there are no tata-fiat dealers near by i cant just go and take a test drive i will have to go to chd/mohali

I am worried because carwala shows Cruze has a front legroom of 1074mm and rear legroom of 926mm. http://www.carwale.com/research/comparecars/compareSpecs.aspx?car1=1620&car2=1463&car3=&car4=

I could fit in Cruze's driver seat quite well but when i maxed out the front seat the rear passenger got very less space. I wanted to confirm if the figures posted by ACI are really true or not is there a Overdrive measure on front/rear legroom?

The reason why i am considering Linea is because of cost of ownership and the comfy seats and ride.

I bought a new overdrive mag just to see what legroom is mentioned in the end "Car Buyers Guide" and it turns out that Linea is given the following specs in latest Overdrive:

Front leg room (min/max) 1210/1020
    Rear leg room (min/max) 820/600

Now this is conflicting with the ACI data and i dont know who to believe?

Can anyone confirm this?
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi. It is very hard to believe that Linea's front seat has just, yes just 830mm of leg room.
    Can you kindly re-check your post for any typo error on your part? Else, ACI has done some error for sure.

Linea has a wheelbase of 2603mm which is longest in the segment and comparable to the cars 1 segment above i.e. D segment.
    But, cabin space is not of D segment because of the dashboard design but still its much more than required.

I own a Punto. I'm 182cm tall. I've adjusted front seats to my convenience and still when I sit on the rear seat, I have 1 finger equivalent of leg room available.
    And I can post pics to verify my claim.

Linea has more cabin space than Punto and I dont believe ACI figures.

Also, cars these days have a long travel range of front seats so the max and min space figures hold no importance.

You found Linea to be more comfy so why this dilemma.
  3. ajai_dev

ajai_dev

Shimla
    I found the Linea more comfy but i sat in the back seat only i did not yet take a test drive and i am not sure that pushing the front driver seat all the way back would still leave some space at the back seat.

With the Cruze i pushed the front driver seat all the way back and still there was some legroom left, i am already making a compromise with Linea on its rear head space i hope the rear legroom also does not come out short.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The amount of money you are spending isn't small. I would seriously recommend that you spare some time and pay a visit to Chandigarh again.
    Have a test drive and decide yourself.
    Cruze surely has more leg room, is bigger, looks great especially in Black(mimics Accord) and that light blue color.
  5. Ajai all cars will have some pro's and con's buy the one which you feel comfortable with since its not couple 100 rupees investment but 10+ lacs.My mom sat in my Linea during my Goa-Hyd trip for about 11 hours staright with one lunch break of 30 mins and she said it was comfortable.
  6. ajai_dev

ajai_dev

Shimla
    I am going to get a test drive and i have scheduled it for the next week. But the figures quoted by ACI is just terrifying, it implies that the back seat of Cruze has more space than the front seat of Linea !!

I was holding back on the test drive because i wanted to wait for the 1.6L Linea MJD to show up but to clear up this legroom stuff i will have to go there and check out the in cabin legroom both for rear and front.

But the thing is only long term owners can really tell me if the back seat is comfy for long term.
  7. so you are ok with the back seat comfort of linea. Front seat comfort s no prob in linea be it leg room or else. i own a linea and nad ve never had problem in the front seat. i am 5.8 ft tall. the only thing u ll ve to do is to find a good seating position when u sit in it for the first time. it may take 5 min initially. u can try various combinations with seat height adjust and seat travel. once u get it , it s very comfy to drive. i drove it non stop for 8-9 hrs from simla to chandigarh ( got stuck in 4 traffic jams on my way) and there was no prob with it. The travel of front seats is pretty long so the min and max space dimensions can be a bit confusing. Rear space is good but not the best in this segment. For a person of my height , there are no problems. Add to that, the excellent recline and support of back seats make them very comfy.

However, however.... if i had the money. i would definately had gone for cruze. I just love its looks, design and power. ::D
  8. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Cruze is a different machine all together.. Since u r more keen in rare legroom would advice you to check on the Linea personally before you make this decision...
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Ajay, I think there is no need to push Linea's front seat all the way back because if you push it like this, you'll not be able to push clutch fully as Linea\Punto have long clutch travel. Linea has enough legroom for front and rear passengers. Don't worry about it.

I can tell one incident of mine, one of my frined is 6.2 ft. tall. He use to push driver seat all the way back. He took same course of action my Punto when he drove it first time. But, he had to pull it towards steering. I don't think if there are people who will drive Punto\Linea with front seat all the way back.
  10. ajai_dev

ajai_dev

Shimla
    Cruze has similar external dimensions other than that, Cruze and Linea both are eye catchers one with elegance the other with brute.

Cruze LT costs 11.5Lac here and the soon to be launched 1.6L MJD Linea will also be around 10-11Lac "As told to me by the Chd dealer". Now the problem is that both the cars will cost about the same and the way he told me the trim will be equal to emotion pk that we see in the normal 1.3's.

Further on he said that the interiors will not be changed but will get better fabrics and other small stuff, this means the legroom and other dimensions will be exactly the same.

I loved how Linea handl's fast speed while i sat in the back seat my friend had hit around 120kph and it did not look like it at all but on my Cruze's test drive i noticed a shake around 130-140kph but was ok around 100-120kph. Also the Linea's suspension is wonderful and silky "On most speeds" compared to the heavy suspension used by Cruze "Hard on low speeds but good on high speeds say 70-80+ kph"

This is indeed good news i am not 6.2ft and am very sure that if he had to pull it forward i'll be ok.